What's new

Hello from MN

Hello gentleman. As someone who is new to using a DE safety razor, I just wanted to say how cool it is to have this site for all the info a beginner needs. I just ordered my first razor - HTGAM starter kit with their Symmetry razor, a pack of 100 Shark SS blades, and will be picking up some Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm today. I think I'm in a good spot to start this new way of shaving, but I'm open to any suggestions on products that are great for a beginner. Hopefully I get my stuff this week and I can get my first shave in, and escape without too many cuts!

Tim

Welcome! just go nice and easy (no pressure) and take your time. Also, change blades after no more than 3 shaves. My reasoning is because you are trying to learn to use little to no pressure and after 2-3 shaves I honestly believe that you have to start applying slightly more pressure - almost subconsciously - than on a blades first use. It took me a while to realize this as i used to get at least 5 shaves out of a blade. Now, I'm 2 and out and have trained myself how to use the least amount of pressure possible.

It will take you some time to develop your routine so don't rush and don't be afraid to experiment. Also, i just got into using alum and its awesome. Pick up a Razorock alum stick on Amazon for around $6. Enjoy!

Hi and Welcome,

Enjoy your shaves. I would suggest you pick up a blade sampler pack available from many supporting vendors. Enjoy the ride.

Welcome to B&B $welcome.gif

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Welcome!

Did you order the open comb Symmetry or the closed one?

I very much recommend you to also get some other blades than the Shark. Some like Shark, other not. They are not among the top regarded blades. For me most blades are too dull and will not cut well, leading to irritation. While the razor choice definitely affect the shave, the blade affect it even more. I would recommend you to also get a few tucks of Voskhod, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue and Feather.

Hello and welcome to B&B, Tim. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Top Bottom