What's new

Researching Synthetics

I never tried the black fiber, but their STF V2 is fantastic. I can't speak for the black fiber performance, but I can show you where to get a much better deal on one of those :

http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-black-fibre-ash-wood.html

The handle is not the same material though, but the knot is the same. Should be $20 cheaper, with shipping included.

And for less than $60 you can get a STF V2 23mm knot, shipped to the US.

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
The Black Fiber is awesome and Shoebox is a GREAT dealer. The Black is a bit softer than the STF. Not as much backbone. There's too much spring in the STF in my opinion so I actually prefer the black a bit. My first Plisson synth is on the way also so I'm hoping it's a nice balance between the two Muhles.

The Black Fiber is awesome and Shoebox is a GREAT dealer. The Black is a bit softer than the STF. Not as much backbone. There's too much spring in the STF in my opinion so I actually prefer the black a bit. My first Plisson synth is on the way also so I'm hoping it's a nice balance between the two Muhles.
Thank you for the feedback.

I take it that the V2 is an even newer synthetic product? Do you know the difference between it and the black fiber?

I believe that the best synthetic currently in production in the Cade Synthetic by Plisson brush available from L'Occitane. It can be found in their boutique stores in many mid and upper-end malls. It is not currently available on their website, and it may be shorty discontinued. If you call their stores, however, they usually will gladly ship it to you. The cost in the USA is $55.00.

Moreover, the best deals and largest selection of the Muhle synthetics, also a very good choice, can probably be found from Connaught Shaving.

The Cade brush by Plisson:

View attachment 490037

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
The Plisson I have on the way is the Red Ferrari Access model from the Plisson website. It's coming from France. Cost a but more for that reason but I didn't want to call around to find a Cade plus the red will set it apart a bit hopefully.

V2 is a newer fiber type and there are V2s for both Black and Silvertip fibers. I have used V1 and V2 Black Fiber and couldn't tell a difference to be honest. I have only used STF V2 which is a great brush but as I mentioned it's very springy. The Black Fiber splays better in my experience.

I'm pretty sure the one in your link is a V2 because I do to recall the V1s ever having that handle as an option. Might be wrong though.

Between the two Muhle's, Black Fibre and Silvertip Fibre, I preferred the Black Fibre much much much more. It's softer and easier to splay, which makes it much more comfortable and agile when face lathering and even bowl lathering. The Silvertip Fibre was too dense and springy, and instead of wanting to splay when I put pressure on it the brush just wanted to bend over in a single piece. Also the HJM handle is remarkably comfortable.

I've yet to find a natural hair brush that can top my synthetic.

For me the Muhle V2 Silvertip Fibre brush is fantastic. I like a brush that has some backbone without being scrtichy and that is why I like the Muhle best. If you like a softer brush with far less backbone then the Plisson would fit your bill. Both are fine brushes - and I have both - but it's a matter of what your preferences are.

I have a STF and black fibre hjm. I use both for face lathering and both are good but I think the less dense HJM actually wins out here on face feel and flow. I got my HJM from connaught for about $30 Canadian so it it won't break the bank for you if you want to try it out, arrived in just over a week from order.

So far my most expensive synthetic is the Plisson from L'Occitane but I just received that recently and haven't tried it yet. But of the 3-4 synthetics I've actually used, I give the nod to the Omega HI-Brush for around $21. They offer it (same knot I assume) with a barber pole handle that looks better but that is $45. One of the Mühles is definitely on the list.

I, too, have the Plisson synthetic and it's the best I have used. I liked the black fibre, but it was too floppy for me, and the STF is nice, too, it's just outdone by the Plisson. Originally I thought the Muhle STF looked better, but I've come to like, or at least not mind the look of the Plisson. And its handle is quite comfy in the hand.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a Muhle 21H 220 Rhytmo. Found it at Bull Goose Shaving. It fit the budget and hopefully will be a great addition to the rotation.
$Brush-Muhle21H220Rhytmo.jpg

Loving my HJM, and think I will probably get the Rytmo in black as my next brush. I think you will enjoy your new brush.

Loving my HJM, and think I will probably get the Rytmo in black as my next brush. I think you will enjoy your new brush.

I'd caution you to consider how heavy the Rytmo brush handles are. At 106g they're VERY hefty, and for me anyways it was to the point of being uncomfortably unbalanced in the hands. Make sure that's something you'd actually want to use before buying.

I bought the classic faux horn stf 2 19mm. Cant wait to try it. Just received a whipped fog silver tip and was blown away by the performance. Hope itll be good for my travelling.

Top Bottom