What's new

How do you know when to change blades?

0ne blade equals one shave for me, for the best shave, some'll say that's wasteful
but it's worked for me for many years. On occasion I've used a blade more than once,
never had a good feeling about it.

I know when to change the blade when it is just not cutting very well....

I like being econo with my gear , so each blade is used for as long as it will

go... over 10 shaves for the higher quality blades, and at least 5 or so for the

lower ones.

Three and out--

I do three two-pass shaves before changing blades.
I've tried four shaves, but it's one shave too many for me.
I use Astra SP blades. They are inexpensive and efficient.

I tend to change my blade once a week (on a Sunday) and at the same time change my cream and razor. That rotation works for me. Of course if mid week I feel the blade is not cutting smoothly then I will change it, but that hasn't happened often.

I used to toss them after about a week in my DE.

Until... The one-blade for February challenge. I saw how far I could actually use a single blade (though it was clearly past it's prime: I still had a decent shave every morning)
I now shave until I feel like I need to add another pass to achieve the results I want or that it is uncomfortable. In other words: I no longer count the number of shaves (except for shavette)

I have serious misgivings about using one blade for an entire month. As much as I admire that goal, is it worth it to risk a close & safe shave for the longevity of a razor blade? I'm inclined to change the razor blade when it stops giving me a close shave. The most time I've ever used a single razor blade is 5 times.

I have serious misgivings about using one blade for an entire month. As much as I admire that goal, is it worth it to risk a close & safe shave for the longevity of a razor blade? I'm inclined to change the razor blade when it stops giving me a close shave. The most time I've ever used a single razor blade is 5 times.

Ha....

I used a wilkie for over 100 shaves not too long ago and I could still be using it had I not gotten tired of looking at the same blade day after day

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/349341-So-How-far-would-YOU-go

I changed out the Feather Pro blade in my Cobra today after only 10 shaves.

Typically I get more than 2 weeks out of a disposable straight blade

I think the fact that the cobra sat for over a week while I used the King pass around might have foo barred the edge as it was not as comfortable as it should have been so bye bye blade and on to the next one

proxy.php

Varies from blade to blade, but I've never gotten more than 3 shaves (yet) out of any blade - some, like Bolzano for me, are good for 1 or 2.

I usually get 3 or 4 good shaves, then i toss it before it causes me to have nasy razor burn. they are so cheap, it is well work the frequent changeover

4-6 for lab blue or gillette yellow. 2-3 for treet. I shave 3-4x a week tops so they last a while! Coarse dense beard, too.

I change it when I feel uncomfortable and tugging. I do look at the number of shaves a blade has lasted before changing, but I don't change it on a specific number of shaves.

Every time you have a lousy shave, take a mental note of the age of that blade. Do that a few times until you figure out that on average, 'x' shaves is pushing it a bit too far and from then on change blades after 'x-1' shaves.

Top Bottom