What's new

Bible Verses that impact YOU

I am a failed Catholic, but the Creed (sometimes called the Profession of Faith) still holds strong meaning for me.

I believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth; I believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended to the dead. On the third day He rose again. He ascended into Heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen

As for a specific Biblical quote, Psalm 23 works for me.

When I saw the title of your thread, I clicked on it with the intention of adding this very verse! When we moved to our present home (which had belonged to my parents), I found my grandfather's wallet, which my mother had saved in memory of him. In it was a card with this verse from Proverbs 3:5 printed on it. I've carried it in my own wallet ever since, and when I die, I plan to pass it on to my son.....

Romans 5: 1-11 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. [SUP]2 [/SUP]Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. [SUP]3 [/SUP]Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, [SUP]4 [/SUP]and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, [SUP]5 [/SUP]and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.[SUP]6 [/SUP]For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. [SUP]7 [/SUP]For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— [SUP]8 [/SUP]but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. [SUP]9 [/SUP]Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. [SUP]10 [/SUP]For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. [SUP]11 [/SUP]More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

I don't know the Ten Commandments by number, but here's one for me: Love your neighbor as you love yourself. There are no conditions on it, like "Love your neighbor as you love yourself UNLESS he prays to a different god than you." Between that, the Golden and Silver rules, I think I'm okay.

Its not one of the Ten Commadments. Jesus added it later:

Leviticus 19:18
You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

Matthew 19:19
Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Matthew 22:37–39
Jesus said to him, 'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'

Mark 12:30–31
"'And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.' This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

Luke 10:27
So he answered and said, "'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,' and 'your neighbor as yourself.'"

Romans 13:9
For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not bear false witness," "You shall not covet," and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Galatians 5:14
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

James 2:8
If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well ...

I'm not particularly into 'organized' religion, but I do think the 10 Commandments are good rules to follow in life.

The scriptures on this topic, in the Gospels, came about because Jesus was being asked a trap question. "What is the greatest commandment?" The pharisees were attempting, as they liked to try, to catch him off his guard and get him to say something damaging to his reputation. Instead of falling into their trap and choosing one of the hundreds of Hebrew laws, he summed up the 10 commandments into 2 sentences. The first 4 commandments are about our relationship with God. The other 6 dictate how we should treat others.

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

A fool vents all his feelings, But a wise man holds them back. (Proverbs 29:11 NKJV)

This sounds like something the Mods tell us Stews all the time!

I'm really partial to Acts 2 and Acts 19.

My 5 year old has a memory verse from his "Jesus Calling" devotional each month. This month is Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you search for me with all your heart."

This is one of my favorite ones. Our old Pastor, who has gone to be with Our Lord, quoted this one often.

2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. (KJV)

Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— 22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. 26 It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

My (our) sin was so evil and detestable that not only did I need to be justified through Christ's sacrifice, but God had to be shown righteous for his patience in not destroying us outright. Praise god for His loving mercy and grace!

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Joshua 1:9New International Version (NIV)

9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Jeremiah 29:11-13: For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me; when you seek me with all your heart.

Not the Bible, but love the Gloria

The Gloria

Glory to God in the highest. And on earth peace to men of good will. We praise You. We bless You. We adore you. We glorify You. We give You thanks for Your great glory. O Lord God, heavenly King, God the Father almighty. O Lord JesusChrist, the Only-begotten Son. O Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father: you Who take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us. You Who take away the sins of the world, receive our prayer. You Who sit at the right hand of the Father, have mercy on us. For you alone are holy. You alone are the Lord. You alone, OJesus Christ, are most high. Together with the Holy Spirit in the glory of God the Father. Amen.

I met a man named Micah. I knew nothing of this prophet's writings. So, he laid this one on me, and I totally dug it:

Micah 7
8 Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD will be a light to me.
9 I will bear the indignation of the LORD because I have sinned against him, until he pleads my cause and executes judgment for me.

After the birth of my first daughter, these verses took on a new and very special meaning for me.

"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
[SUP]14 [/SUP]I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well." - Psalms 139:13-14

He gives power to the weak
and strength to the powerless.
Even youths will become weak and tired,
and young men will fall in exhaustion.
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not faint.

Isaiah 40:29-31

Can't pick one particular verse so I would have to say the entire bible for it is all gods word and self revelation

1 Kings 19

9 And he came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the Lord came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?

10 And he said, I have been very jealous for the Lord God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:

12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

13 And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?

----------

Stop looking for big signs. God's standing next to you whispering gently.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
John 15:13 “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”

As a Coast Guardsman I wear this verse on a memorial bracelet for a fallen shipmate...it reminds me that we have a short time on this earth and it isn't about the time we have but how we choose to spend it. Some jobs require people to consider this verse a job requirement.

Top Bottom