What's new

The Grath Lifetime Razor Any Info?

$IMG_3845.jpg$IMG_3847.jpg$IMG_3848.jpg$IMG_3851.jpg

This beauty is proving to be a complete mystery, as I haven’t been able to find anything out about either the razor or the company. It is The Grath, “The Lifetime Razor” made by Grath Adjustable Safety Razor Company of Los Angeles, Cal. I came across this set recently, and even though I could see it wasn’t going to be a shaver, I couldn’t resist the overall coolness of the thing. So, of course, I bought it.

As you can see, it is a wedge blade open comb with an ingenious adjustment feature. By loosening the two side set screws, the bottom plate can be made to slide back and forth in response to the “worm drive” action of the center screw. It is practically infinitely adjustable: I think you could make this as mild as a lamb, or about as terrifying as any “safety” razor could be. Another interesting feature is the built-in angle imparted by the slight bend at the top of the handle; a precursor, perhaps, to the angled handles of the Schick injectors? Also ahead of its time, it seemingly anticipated today’s trend toward heavier and heavier razors: this thing is a beast, weighing in at a whopping 91 grams.

It came with the stropping attachments shown in the last photo, but only one blade. Alas, I’m not set up, either in terms of equipment or skill, for honing and stropping, so for me, this is a showpiece only.

Anyone out there have any intelligence or history on this one?

Get it honed.... I'll let you in on a secret, you can strop quite effectively on a piece of newspaper you fold into a strop and throw over a towel rack. You could even treat a piece of newspaper with a diamond spray or some chromium oxide to bring the edge back up a fair bit if it fades. It appears to be hollow ground. That could be ready to go in 30 minutes.

That is a nice kit! The beauty is in it's simplicity.

The Compendium has it as a Type 1, made in the 30s in LA.

-jim

That is a sweet looking Razor i would not shave with it yet due to being new to wet shaving but in the future id have to get it sharpened to at least test drive it once.

Top Bottom