What's new

Too soon

I shaved last night, got a BBS with what is fast becoming my favorite set-up: Fatboy set at six, Astra SP, bowl lather from TSF hard soap. Good prep and soothing AS, balm, etc. Fantastic.

But I had lunch date today, and I decided to shave again, just because the last shave was so nice. Nine hours after my late-night shave.

Mistake; too soon. New Astra blade and the routine as before. Two careful passes, and I was smooth. But the alum block bit like a madman. AS and balm helped tone things down, but now, seven hours later, my face is still warm and slightly irritated.

Lesson learned. I'm going to let 24 hours pass between shaves.

I like the Astra product but once a day is enough to keep things good,
However, occasionally, the need for a second evening shave is required,
One light pass with a new (good quality) blade anything more and razor burn'll
set in.

Very wise young grasshopper. One must remember that one should not shave with so little beard. One should wait until a new day arises.

Very wise young grasshopper. One must remember that one should not shave with so little beard. One should wait until a new day arises.
VERY please to be called a "young grasshopper." Or a young anything. Off for a little more AS balm...

After 9 hours, I will feel stubble, but for sure don't look like I need to shave again, it's perception for me, glad I haven't given in to temptation though, thanks for the tip!

Oops! Lesson learned. If you want to shave so close together, definitely just a light pass and done. You'll still look and feel better, but no need to do full 2 or more pass shave.

Every gent is different, but I can't shave more than once a day. My beard is light enough that I can get by with shaving three times a week.

You learned from that one.

Through experience I have found that I need at least 16 hours between shaves to avoid excessive irritation. 24 hours is optimal though.

Top Bottom