What's new

Electrolysis

is there such a thing as "too much"?

This is all the rust that was on the blade

attachment.php

this is what it looks like after an hour.
Almost looks like it is "making" rust, there wasn't that much rust on the blade to start.
It has removed most of the heavy rust, just a little left that doesn't come off easily with steel wool
attachment.php

(thought this might get more answers in it's own thread)

It does make rust. Rust is created at the positive lead (if the anode is steel) and destroyed at the negative.

Also, I was to understand doing this had the potential to cause Hydrogen embrittlement, so it wasn't a good idea to do it on knives, razors, etc.

Also, are your leads submerged? You don't want that, you want the electrical lead connected to your pieces (the sacrificial graphite (or in your case steel) and the steel you're cleaning) out of the solution, with the elements (part of the graphite/steel and the rusty part of your steel) submerged.

Last edited:
Well, then this blade may be ruined.
Yes, on my next try I was gonna get a bigger piece of steel and leave it out of the water and a piece of steel wire to carry the current to the part being cleaned.
Thanx

P.S. the guy who ran up the bid on that paddle coti sure made it obvious how to beat him, didn't he? lol

Oh yeah? What happened? Once it broke my new high bid, I left it. Wasn't gonna touch $100+ shipped after what we talked about.

edit: Oh, the single bid increment thing (just looked). Yeah that's a member here. He's done that to a few auctions I've been high bidder on before. I actually mentioned it in a thread once for why I let a stone go before, then later he sent me pics of the stone and we talked about it a bit. (He had bid me up $25 in $1 increments on that stone early in the auction and I decided I wasn't interesting in a bidding war over it). He is pretty vulnerable to sniping with that technique.

I almost think he uses some kind of app that does that for him, though I can't understand what its purpose would be. Now that I think of it, he's probably bidding from a phone and it has a button for minimum bid which he finds easier than typing in his max bid.

Did you wind up winning it? If so, let me know how it turns out.

Last edited:
No, I wasn't that into it, I barely woulda gone above your first bid, so when you said you might go a little further I wasn't gonna make it cost you more. I think I'm set for stones for a while.

Yes, I think the minimum bid thing is the explanation, he made it easy on whoever got it.

I saw something about hydrogen embrittlement that said maybe the hydrogen could be released by heating to 300 to 350 for an hour or so, might try it.

I wouldn't bother until you tried honing first. If there's no problem, don't fix it. I've only read that it MAY prove an issue.

I wouldn't bother until you tried honing first. If there's no problem, don't fix it. I've only read that it MAY prove an issue.

Now I gotta get/make some scales, I thought some wood ones I had from another Simmons Hdwe would work, but it was a bit shorter. Wonder how these Ivory ones would look with brass or stainless steel for liners?

Top Bottom