What's new

Bone or Ivory?

How to tell the difference? And how to clean rust off of both?
(I know it ain't plastic, doesn't melt when touched with a hot wire)

Pictures help

As a rule bone has small dots where the blood vessel canals course across it (haversian canal)

Ivory has wavy lines (shreger lines)

I have seen both pinned without collars

Bone
See the small dark dots

Ivory

Very hard to photograph these lines

Last edited:
Here they are in front of the "electrolysis tank"

$140829_0005.jpg
$140829_0006.jpg
$140829_0007.jpg

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
STICKY this EXCELLENT photographic and text answer that explains it the very best!

Pictures help

As a rule bone has small dots where the blood vessel canals course across it (haversian canal)

Ivory has wavy lines (shreger lines)

I have seen both pinned without collars

Bone
See the small dark dots

Ivory

Very hard to photograph these lines

Speaking of electrolysis, is there such a thing as "too much"?

This is all the rust that was on the blade

$140829_0001.jpg

this is what it looks like after an hour.
Almost looks like it is "making" rust, there wasn't that much rust on the blade to start.
It has removed most of the heavy rust, just a little left that doesn't come off easily with steel wool
$140829_0004.jpg

STICKY this EXCELLENT photographic and text answer that explains it the very best!

Yes, truly.

Thanks, Doc. I think you are right, ivory. That crack is why the razor was cheap. (that and the rust)
Are they worth trying to clean (and how to do that?) and maybe make some type of thin liner to strengthen them?

SG won't ruin them. It'll take off some gunk. Sanding and polishing produce the best results. Many stains won't come out . Cracks ? They kinda' sorta' can be fixed. A groove needs to be cut into the backside with a supporting piece epoxied in to provide support . Tricky because they are so thin.
Easier to make a new scale and dye it to match as closely as possible.

I agrtee with doc, looks more like bone than ivory to me. I used to have a source for bone plates but they quit carrying them.

There are many sources for bone from cow to giraffe. Plates are relatively cheap and can come in all sorts of colors as well. Many times I've been fortunate to get pieces with no pores showing. Almost a spoof for Ivory they were that good. Of course nothing beats having a stash of Ivory on hand.
I'm getting some Mammoth in that will closely resemble vintage Ivory as this is another option as well.

Last edited:
There are many sources for bone from cow to giraffe. Plates are relatively cheap and can come in all sorts of colors as well. Many times I've been fortunate to get pieces with no pores showing. Almost a spoof for Ivory they were that good. Of course nothing beats having a stash of Ivory on hand.
I'm getting some Mammoth in that will closely resemble vintage Ivory as this is another option as well.

Source?

Top Bottom