What's new

mulling over another razor purchase.advice requested

'Lo, Gents...

So, after a couple of months of my EJ89 I am considering (but not married to) looking for another razor. The EJ works well for the most part. Here's what my shaves have been like:

-both sides of face shave perfectly
-jaws are fine now thanks to some advice given
-chin needs lots of buffing
-corners of mouth lots of buffing
-adam's apple I just use a cart and call it a day
-very few nicks

Basically, I'm curious if an OC might do anything for me. I'm about 90% satisfied with my razor but I'm getting that itch.
Has anyone switched from safety bar to OC and had a different result?

I've been looking into merkurs...and sticking with my astras.

I just used my NEW LC today. I liked it and would definitely recommend trying an OC if you've got the itch and a little budget. I have very coarse hair, so i definitely notice a difference. I can get just as good a shave with my DE89 but it requires flawless technique

That's one thing that I love about this way of shaving is that you can experiment with other type of razors. I say go for it. Half the fun is trying out different razors, blades, soaps, creams, and brushes.

WARHAWK

You know that you're going to purchase an OC.
If you're seeking approval, you have mine.

You could do a lot worse than Above the Tie.

Of course you should try an OC razor. Go for it!

You can go cheap (Fatip, Razorock), expensive (ATT) or vintage (Gillette NEW). Better yet, try all 3.

In the interest of full disclosure I probably should mention that I currently own over 40 razors, with 3 more on the way. There are presently 19 items on my eBay watch list, of which 18 are razors.

RAD? Never heard of it.

Seriously, for me half the fun of shaving is deciding what razor/blade/soap/AS/etc. I will use on any given morning.

I'm searching for that perfect combination that will give me an irritation-free BBS in two passes.

I may never find it, but I'm having a great time looking.

-Bob

I started on a ej89 as well and after i was given my great great uncles old type oc i fell in love the shaves are smooth and even the problem areas are getting hit better

+1 for this. Get an OC New. You'll love it.

Of course you should try an OC razor. Go for it!

You can go cheap (Fatip, Razorock), expensive (ATT) or vintage (Gillette NEW). Better yet, try all 3.

In the interest of full disclosure I probably should mention that I currently own over 40 razors, with 3 more on the way. There are presently 19 items on my eBay watch list, of which 18 are razors.

RAD? Never heard of it.

Seriously, for me half the fun of shaving is deciding what razor/blade/soap/AS/etc. I will use on any given morning.

I'm searching for that perfect combination that will give me an irritation-free BBS in two passes.

I may never find it, but I'm having a great time looking.

-Bob

Why not consider an SE, or even better, an Injector in addition to your OC. They are relatively cheap, the blades are readily available online, and you might surprise yourself with the experience.

Mild OC: Parker 24C/26C
Aggressive OC: Razorock jaws
Very aggressive: Fatip and R41

You should definitely try an OC

You came to the wrong place if you want to be talked down.:laugh: I returned to a DE with the 89. Quickly found it too mild for my taste. I like an aggressive razor. A Sabi is my most used SB razor. A Fatip is my most used OC. I use these two about 6 times a week. Next up would be my Old type. Least used is my Slim which I leave on 7, a Parker 24C, then my SS and Tech.

I say go for it !
I started out with a OC / New Long Comb and I also have a EJ 89. To me the shaves are pretty similar once
you adjust your technique. So similar aggressiveness , at least to me.
Also I have a Fatip and in my opinion its pretty close to the New LC . I bought it to try as its easier to find fat tip heads than New LC
heads and I wanted some spares. Maybe the fatip is a tiny bit more aggressive than the above 2.

The R41 , however is more aggressive ( like twice as the above razors ) and it has a quasi OC..so each user must have his own result.

So if I was going from the EJ to an open comb maybe go with the Fatip as at least to me the gap won't be too big between the two.

B/R
and good luck to you!

D

Damn. I searched for gilette new oc and this came up. It was cheap. I'll give it a go and if it's too aggressive I may have to try something else. What about the 34c merkur?

Give it a go a few days. The first shave will probably be as when you begun with DE: a lot to improve. Besides the angle for this one is different from the one you have in your muscle memory. Only one shave is not enough to tell if it is a razor you like.

Parker 24C / 26C would have been a mild introduction to oc.

I started with the Murker barber pole safety bar and found it to be less aggressive than I felt I needed, and I was right so I bought the Murker HD open comb short handled version. It is very good at clearing the tall weeds and smooth too. The safety bar is a good razor but it just doesn't do it for me. If you get the Murker open comb and stick with the Astra's I think you'll enjoy the combo very much. Try Feather's after you get comfortable with the OC it may surprise you how smooth I can be.

Top Bottom