What's new

DE89 on a Maggard MR8

I am using an MR5 handle with my DE87 because the chrome matches flawlessly. Isn't the MR8 stainless steel?

Yes it is.....sorry I should of mentioned that I really like the mat finish of most SS tools. Even if the handle doesn't perfectly match the chrome head, I'm thinking the contrast will look fine.
I'm glad I got my EJ, but it's zamak construction is a little.....meh. I probably would have still bought one, but I like to buy quality and likely would have applied that thirty some odd dollars to an all SS razor.
Now after getting into this AD and even though I don't need it I'm looking to upgrade my EJ a bit.
And a full SS razor is on my want list so keep me in mind as you gents downsize.

Yes, it fits.

But on my MR8 handle there was a (circular) burr which would have damaged the baseplate's plating if I qould not have sanded it smooth using Wet&Dry sandpaper (grit 180 or/and finer will be ok).

Then, the inside threads of all stainless handles I own (iKon, Weber, MR8) were so rough that they surely would have done away with the plating on the the threaded stud of my non-stainless razors if I would not have smoothed them before using the handle on other razors. You can get this thread smoother by inserting a screw that fits and moving it in and out for as long as it takes to not feel anymore the roughness when turning the screw. You can accelerate this process by adding some fine abrasive powder when moving that screw in and out (I used tripoli and water - tripoli is an abrasive powder that breaks down to "a finer grit" while using it). But it also works without additional abrasive powder, it only takes a bit longer (maybe 15 or 20 minutes of "meditative" work).

Edit:
Regarding colors of SS and chrome plating: not a DE89, but the same plating. I don't find the color mismatch too disturbing.
Lighting was a bit bad, but the color difference between handle and head is about what you can see in the picture, the greenish hue of the handle is due to the bathroom light.

$M8&R41.jpg

Last edited:
^ Serious question: Do you feel a benefit with such a thick handle? I'm not being facetious, I'm really curious.
I use Ikon 80mm Bulldog barrels, and like them affixed to my Techs.

^ Serious question: Do you feel a benefit with such a thick handle?
Yes. Main benefit: its absolutely crazy. Just weird. But the shave is different too, the excessive weight seems to benefit a very stable and smooth motion. The down side is obvious: the 180 grams are tiring! I wouldn't want to use it every day. Surprisingly, the thickness was not a problem for me (I have small hands), and the length is less disturbing than I thought (I like shorter handles like the Bulldog, or Merkur HD razors). If someone is not sure he will enjoy shaving with such a heavy razor, the Maggard hollow Brass handle might be a good alternative, as you can fill it up with lead or tungsten if you want it to be heavier.

In any case, the price seemed very inviting to me, that is it was no hindrance to "risk" the experiment!

Last edited:
I like the thick handle because my arthritis makes it difficult to "feel" the slim handles. I do use a couple of slim handled Gillette vintage razors though, just have to pay more attention to how I hold them.

Yes. Main benefit: its absolutely crazy. Just weird. But the shave is different too, the excessive weight seems to benefit a very stable and smooth motion. The down side is obvious: the 180 grams are tiring! I wouldn't want to use it every day. Surprisingly, the thickness was not a problem for me (I have small hands), and the length is less disturbing than I thought (I like shorter handles like the Bulldog, or Merkur HD razors). If someone is not sure he will enjoy shaving with such a heavy razor, the Maggard hollow Brass handle might be a good alternative, as you can fill it up with lead or tungsten if you want it to be heavier.

In any case, the price seemed very inviting to me, that is it was no hindrance to "risk" the experiment!

At 180 grams, it's a lot of barrel. Thanks for a detailed response. I thought a heavier and thicker handle, compared with my 80mm Ikon Bulldog, it would diminish the feel of the blade when shaving. But that doesn't seem to be a problem from your response. Enjoy the new barrel; and thanks for responding.

You're welcome, DEGuy.
To be true, I didn't think a second about the feel of the blade, it is really not an issue. Maybe because I hold the razor close to its center of gravity (I think most of us will do this). Holding the MR8 by the end of its handle could be a problem though. But seriously, who would do this?

I've become addicted to the MR8 handle. I use it with my ATT H1 and H2, with my 2011 R41, and with my NY Shaving Co. Mariner (all aggressive razors, the Mariner being the most aggressive). I love the heft and thickness of the handle, and it makes for controlled and really close shave. I thought the weight might be a problem, but I've become quite used to it. Other handles now feel a bit flimsy by comparison.

You're welcome, DEGuy.
To be true, I didn't think a second about the feel of the blade, it is really not an issue. Maybe because I hold the razor close to its center of gravity (I think most of us will do this). Holding the MR8 by the end of its handle could be a problem though. But seriously, who would do this?

I agree. I hold my bulldog handles well above the the base, much if not exactly as you described. Enjoy the new barrel; and thanks again for the information.

How well does the DE89 head fit onto the MR8? I looked at mine and it was concave, would screwing it into the MR8 distort the bottom, forcing it flat and flush? Would there be play or stress on the (zamak) screw? Or would there be a harmless gap?

Top Bottom