What's new

The Art of Shaving Body Soap - Any Fans?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I finally drove the 40 minutes to visit the closest Art of Shaving store - Cool Springs Galleria in Franklin, Tennessee.
I didn't drive specifically for that, but it was on the agenda.
First of all I gotta say the gentleman at the store was great. Was not pushy, didn't try to sell me anything I didn't want or need, he was friendly and very knowledgeable about the Art of Shaving products as well as the Dovo straights and various DE's. It was a cool experience. So hats off to him.

I didn't plan on buying anything because I have AoS cream already and don't need any. But the body soap caught my eye. It smelled nice so I decided to buy some. It was $18 or 2 for $30 - so yeah, I had to buy 2 right?

I got the Lavender and Lemon. I plan on using the lemon first as I think it smells the best. Anyone else every try the AoS body soaps?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've been using Molton Brown bar soap for the past 5 months or so and absolutely love it.
I'm a little afraid to try the AoS as I don't want to undo what the MB has done for my skin.

"a little bit drying" doesn't sound good :blink:

Hey Jason, what has the Molton Brown soap done for your skin? I am closing in on 40 and, as my wife states, still end up with pimples...why? My face seems to be oily, but I haven't ever been able to figure out if that is because I am using a drying soap, therefore creating more oil, or what.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hey Jason, what has the Molton Brown soap done for your skin? I am closing in on 40 and, as my wife states, still end up with pimples...why? My face seems to be oily, but I haven't ever been able to figure out if that is because I am using a drying soap, therefore creating more oil, or what.

I used to look at my forearms and see dryness. Not flaky peeling dryness, but a few small areas of dry white skin cells that would itch a little bit. Also on my legs, not really my thighs but from the knee down. I would scratch and little tiny flakes of dead skin would flake off - basically just really dry skin on my legs. Nothing worthy of seeing a doctor, but just annoying.

I tried various soaps and body washes, mostly whatever I could find at Walmart. Nothing helped. Through a thread here on Molton Brown hand washes I found the body soap. I decided to pull the trigger and I'm glad I did!
I bought the Moisture Rich Aloe & Karit Ultrabar. I can't say exactly when the dry skin ceased, but I used it for a solid 4 months of showering everyday and have completely stopped itching and I haven't seen any areas of dry white flaky skin anywhere.
http://www.moltonbrown.com/store/bath-body/soap/moisture-rich-aloe-karit-eacute-ultrabar/MR010/
Moisture-rich Aloe & Karité Ultrabar
Moisture-rich Aloe & Karité Ultrabar

Now..You might think that $22 for a bar of soap is expensive. I sure as heck did. But I keep in mind 2 things. 1. It's HUGE. 8.8oz, double the size of any bar a Walmart and lasts 4 months. 2. It has stopped my dry skin issues, I'm not annoyed anymore!

http://www.moltonbrown.com/store/bath-body/soap/catUSBSoap/

Now that I'm done rambling about how awesome MB soap is I'll tell you that I have never used it on my face. Or any soap for that matter. My whole entire life (30) years I've only ever washed my face with plain ole water from the shower head. I just let it cascade on my face, give it a quick rub with my hands and done.
I have also (as far as I can remember) never had a pimple or zit. I've never had an issue with acne. Is it because I've never washed my face with soap?...I can't say.

So...I can't speak to how it takes care of my face, but the rest of my body feels awesome!

I recently (about 3 weeks ago) ordered the TAOS Ocean Kelp Shave Cream in the tub from the TAOS website and decided to grab two of the bar soaps as they were "on sale" 2/$30 like Toothpick mentioned. When I opened up the box I was appalled at how small the bars were for $15 each. I was actually kind of angry and felt ripped off almost immediately. I have no idea if these are triple milled or how long they last as I'm going through other products before I get to them. Don't get me wrong, I'm dying to try them. But they're just so small! I really don't think Toothpick's photos do justice exemplifying how small the bars are.

I recently ordered a couple bars of the Chief's Energizing Man Soap and I couldn't be happier. It's a really good size bar and the stuff really lasts due to it's easy lathering ability. In fact, I'd say it's probably the best bar soap I've ever used. Big claim, I know. But I really do mean it. It's super minty (peppermint) and has little shards of oatmeal in the bar to exfoliate, yet it's not too aggressive of an exfoliation. The scent nearly completely dissipates within 10 minutes of exiting the shower and you're squeaky clean but not the least bit dry. Unless these TAOS bars are a real godsend I wouldn't buy them again because of other amazing (and more cost effective) products like the Chief's. Which cost only $10 or $11 per bar online depending on where you buy. For the record I purchased the Lemon and Sandalwood TAOS bars.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409447872.524555.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
the AOS soap is 4.5oz - which is the standard size for soaps.
But at $15 I can understand how that could be upsetting.
But on the other hand its AOS, which is notoriously a luxury brand and thus expensive.
I wouldn't expect them to be 5 bucks.

the AOS soap is 4.5oz - which is the standard size for soaps.
But at $15 I can understand how that could be upsetting.
But on the other hand its AOS, which is notoriously a luxury brand and thus expensive.
I wouldn't expect them to be 5 bucks.

The bars are small. Maybe they stick out for me because my last few bar soaps (Chief's, Dreadnought, and eShave) were all good size and lasted quite awhile. In summation do you feel like you got what you payed for?

I really enjoy my MWF soap. I have been mixing it up with QCS soap of the month club which has been a blast and a quality experience.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The bars are small. Maybe they stick out for me because my last few bar soaps (Chief's, Dreadnought, and eShave) were all good size and lasted quite awhile. In summation do you feel like you got what you payed for?

I do.
I was in the store so I was able to see the bars (pick up and sniff/hold). I knew what I was getting and the price I was paying. Plus I understood that it was AOS...I know their stuff is expensive.

You ordered yours online so I can certainly understand how you were taken aback by the size of the bars.

I do.
I was in the store so I was able to see the bars (pick up and sniff/hold). I knew what I was getting and the price I was paying. Plus I understood that it was AOS...I know their stuff is expensive.

You ordered yours online so I can certainly understand how you were taken aback by the size of the bars.

Great point. Who knows? Maybe I'll use them and be so blown away I order four more. But I'd have to be REALLY blown away. But I doubt it. Especially if the other reviewer is right and they end up being kind of drying.

I have piggybacked on Jeff's thread from time to time.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/381468-A-Year-of-Queen-Charlotte-Soaps

That Chiefs soap is intriguing. I have a case of SAD.

I've tried tons of soaps. I used soap bars exclusively for many years before I switched to body washes. Now I'm back to bars again. The Chief's is amazing. The scent, the exfoliation, the cost (it's not THAT bad versus others), and the overall performance is up there with the best of them no doubt about it. I'm on my second bar now.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yes! Great thread. Like how he does his reviews. The QCS are interesting.

One of the great threads here. Jeff has been completed dedicated!

I'm even more amazed though that QCS offers so many different varieties of soaps and shampoo bars

One of the great threads here. Jeff has been completed dedicated!

I'm even more amazed though that QCS offers so many different varieties of soaps and shampoo bars

Agreed. The only thing I find weird about the QCS is that they leave the petals of some of the ingredients in the bars themselves.

I've tried tons of soaps. I used soap bars exclusively for many years before I switched to body washes. Now I'm back to bars again. The Chief's is amazing. The scent, the exfoliation, the cost (it's not THAT bad versus others), and the overall performance is up there with the best of them no doubt about it. I'm on my second bar now.

I go through a great deal of soap as I am prone to excessive lathering. I wash my hair with soap bars also. I find them equally as effective as shampoo bars and have forgone purchasing shampoo bars.

Top Bottom