What's new

Single in September - anyone interested?

A long shot but just wondering if anyone else out there might be interested in this one month fidelity challenge?

I started this many moons ago on a photography forum and it took off and continues many years on. The challenge was called "Single in September" and what I proposed was that members select a single line-up (lens and/or camera) and use it daily for the month; posting their results and talking through their progress. I realise this has no parallels in this arena but the intent was to have folks really get to know their kit for a month rather than continue getting dizzy on the BST carousel looking for some panacea to their skill ills.

Again I realise wet shavers do not suffer the same acquisition syndromes.:001_huh: But I have noticed that I spend more time researching and acquiring new gear - esp. software - than actually using and getting to know what I have.

The "Single" you choose could just be one piece of hardware or software, or the whole line-up. Whatever you choose the commitment is to stick with it for the month of September - and share your experiences.

I'm committing to remain loyal to my new Weber PH w/- Bulldog Handle and Tabac software (both soap and post-shave).

I realise this is not for everyone….might not be for anyone except me. But I thought there might be others in the early phases of this wet-shaving malarky that would like to buckle down to something deeper rather than just broadening. Maybe even build some friendships as we talk through our insights and challenges.

Anyway, over to you all.

If we have enough interest, then I'll work the logistics on how best to maintain such a thread over the month.

Last edited:
This is a good idea but it won't work for me. I have so much software that I need to use some up, plus I like to let all my brushes dry for at least 72 hours, even my synthetics. On the other hand, I could easily use the same lathering bowl for 30 straight days because that's what I do already. Good luck with your thread. Cheers Mate!

This is a good idea but it won't work for me. I have so much software that I need to use some up, plus I like to let all my brushes dry for at least 72 hours, even my synthetics. On the other hand, I could easily use the same lathering bowl for 30 straight days because that's what I do already. Good luck with your thread. Cheers Mate!
Cheers mate.
Yeah I'm the same with brushes - with Canberra (Australia) winters they take 72 hours to dry. So I'm alternating between brushes. But I reckon the shelf of cream, crops and soaps can stand to dry for a while. Keen to see how the Tabac fares. I reckon I could be very happy….and even buying some more Tabac for the month (AS balm and deodorant) just to keep in the spirit.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
The entire Tabac line that I have tried would lend itself to Fidelity for sure. I even revisited the Tabac Luxury Bath soap for the shower and used the Tabac Deo stick for the first time as well. I am going on 4 years straight with close to daily use of the Tabac Hair Cream, great stuff! I already use the same pair of straights in rotation daily, Heljestrand MK 31's in Genuine Tortoise. Just need to snag some Tabac aftershave splash and Tabac Cologne and I will be happy. Now what to do with the myriad of other creams and soaps that litter my den? The premise that you suggest is true, you really get to know your tools and products with everyday use. I believe I would have no problem being a "Tabac Man" for the remainder of 2014 and beyond. It really satisfies. The Shavemac Americana D01 3 band badger I have been using exclusively since it arrived a few weeks ago is certainly not slumming it and provides the perfect foil for the creamy warm lather of Tabac.

I'm in, but then again I'm a newbie who only has one razor and brush. But keeping my cream and blade a constant, it should help me focus on technique!

Excellent idea, I'll join.

My commitment:

- Astra SP blades
- Merkur 34C
- C&E Nomad
- Proraso White A/S

I can't commit to a single brush, though, so thanks for allowing some slack.

Great idea!
But I'm not in. For me the fun in wet shaving comes from the variety and choices of h/w and s/w. I don't want to take the fun out of it.

Good luck to all! Have fun!

For me the fun in wet shaving comes from the variety and choices of h/w and s/w.

+1

Great idea, but not for me ... I swap soaps like socks ... I do stick with the same brush (because I only have one) and I use my birth year razor every day.

Have fun for all who takes this challenge! Happy shaving!

Tempting idea. Since I already self-expelled myself from the September Gentlemanly Restraint, I feel bad enough to do something. Plus I seem to have found my perfect shave set-up, at least for now.

But I have too many cool soaps and creams on deck right now to make another promise I can't keep.

Well not a bad day - though like any good Kirby door-to-door representative, I seem to have more polite turn-aways than sales :blush:

On board so far we have:
Illinois
Antique Hoosier
ryinzana
HakonJ
147_Grain

I'd be happy enough to run with this little tribe but we'll see how many more join our ranks and then I'll do some PMing to work out the admin.

Thanks for contributions so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom