What's new

Confused and Frustrated

Hello and thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and or comment on this post. I've been reading this forum for some time now but am just now deciding to join in order to, unfortunately, seek help.

To start, I am creating a thread here because I have become so hopeless in my attempt to rid my neck of razor burn and bumps that I have no where else to turn. On top of that, however, I think this is the best place to turn when seeking a solution.

I am a 17 year old with Irish background and a medium beard. I've been shaving with a Merkur 34c for around 2 years now. After doing some research, I first bought this razor, a tub of Proraso shaving soap, a Tweezerman brush and used the Merkur blades that came with the razor. This initial set up reduced the monumental problem I had with razor burn and bumps on my neck, so, for a few months I was satisfied. After that honeymoon phase was up, I began to search online again for a final solution to the irritation. I tried product after product; Bump Patrol, Skin Tight, different varieties of witch hazel and creams, and even depilatories at one point. After a couple of failed months using this approach I decided that it must not be the products but of course (how much more obvious could it be, I thought) my technique! I had been reading it and watching videos on it since day 1; 30 degree angle, NO NO NO pressure, and small, clean stokes with a well maintained blade and hydrated lather/skin. I would spend up to 45 minutes preparing, shaving with the best technique possible, and applying after shave to my face. Still, no results. I was extremely careful in mapping out my beard growth and only taking one pass in areas that were sensitive. No results.

I've now come to the point where I feel like I've tried everything I can reasonably afford without finding a real solution. I've even tried techniques such as shaving with ice cold water and in the shower. Now, after two years of relentlessly searching for an answer, I am starting to lose hope. Hopefully I can find some answers and solutions. Again, thank you to everyone who takes the time to read this and or offer any words of advice.

- Tom

30-degrees might or might not be ideal. Have you looked at the wiki here?: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Blade_Angle
Especially the "more pictures" I find helpful, click to make them big.

What is it you're doing with your good no pressure technique and your beard mapping? Are you going wtg, xtg, and atg? I'd suggest maybe just two wtg passes, and if there's still whiskers on yer face, leave 'em and go back tomorrow.

Part of the problem is you have a bunch of irritation and you shave the next day, even the one wtg pass can exacerbate the issue.

I found for myself that a great lather solves a lot of problems. I had a sore neck for around the first 7 months of wetshaving, more or less. When I figured out that I liked some particular soaps (in my case Mike's and Strop Shoppe Special Editions), and figured out how to get a slick protective lather from them consistently, it did a lot to make all the post-shave amelioration unnecessary. That is, no more bump patrol, no alum (which many of us find might just cause more irritation anyway)....

I do think a good aftershave splash and/or balm, or splash and/or moisturizer, can help, but only if the problem is minimized in the first place has it really mattered.

And blade choice may matter. Very mild razors and very sharp blades seem to be a good combination for me. But sometimes a less than superlatively sharp blade has been a relief, too (I found Voskhod Teflon blades to be very smooth). Now I think blade choice is among the less important considerations, but it mattered a lot for a while, when my neck still hurt!

I don't know if I'm saying anything you haven't heard 100 times, but... I wish you luck!

Welcome to B&B. Introduce yourself in the Hall of Fame, get to know some of the more helpful folks around here... it's a great community to learn from. I have confidence that the participants here can help you get your problems sorted.

Have you always used Merkur razor blades only? If you have, you might consider trying a different razor blade. You need to buy a "sampler" pack of razor blades and try each one of the samples. I tried half a dozen or so before I decided that Astra SP's are the right blade for me.

It also would help us to know what your shaving routine is as well. Here's my pre-shave morning routine.

1. Hot shower
2. Applying VDH shaving soap to face/neck
3. Re-apply shaving soap before each additional pass (WTG/XTG/ATG)
4. Apply aftershave lotion

You shouldn't be shaving any part of your face without reapplying shaving soap. Shaving your face/neck without proper lubrication could be causing some of the facial issues you're experiencing. The least of which is razor burn!

You also should not be applying pressure while your shaving. Allow the weight of the razor remove your whiskers. Applying too much pressure will result in nicks, cuts, bleeders, etc. Holding the razor at right angle is critical. Holding it at the wrong angle will not get you good results. It's wise of you to not shave the areas of your beard where you have sensitive skin.

Your using good products but it could come down to your technique.

Hopefully some of the tips I offered you help in your shaving experience.

+1 for trying different blades. I hated the Merkur blades that came with my razor. If you haven't already I highly recommend getting a sample pack of different blades (I got mine from Amazon) and rotate through to see what works best for your face.

As for blades...try Astra or Personna Blues. Both are sharp, but forgiving.

When I began, I did one or two passes WTG. This gave my face time to heal.

I've also found I cannot do a true ATG, ever, simply because of the way hair grows on my neck. But I can get a DFS.

Even today, after years of wet shaving, I feel like I am still improving my technique. "The superior person pursues harmony, not sameness."

I would also recommend picking up a user grade Gillette New. For me, the SC is a very smooth shavers, but the LC shavers closer.

This might sound like a really crazy solution but in your case I really think a Mühle R41 would help. With 2 years of DE shaving, I think you should master the razor technique enough that the irritation problem is not there because of your technique. Also with 2 years of experience R41 would not be a difficult challenge.

Whiskers grown at all kind of angles and on my neck I noticed I really need a more steep angle than what most razors allow. R41 is the razor allowing you to pick any angle you want. Of all razors I have used, R41 gives least irritation.

Most razors only allow a small variation in angle.

Additionally I highly recommend to apply a few drips of Jojoba oil to your face after you have been soaking your face with water and soap. Jojoba will protect your face greatly.

Last edited:
I'm still learning DE shaving, a lot older than you but less DE experience than you!

It was recently suggested to me that Merkurs are a razor that don't work for a lot of people and I changed this, with some other things and had a good result.

For me, I think I need to be continuously aware of angle and pressure. I try and start with rounded head of razor against my face and turn slightly to start shaving. I'm amazed at how little I need to angle before it starts cutting hairs.

But keep at it, you have all these great shavers who can and WILL help.

Hey, Tom, welcome to B&B! You've definitely come to the right place. Like greenp, I am 20 years your senior, but have only a few weeks of DE shaving experience, so I'm going to let the guys who've been doing this longer give you the advice. It certainly sounds like you've been a student of technique and have thoughtfully made changes to see what would help. You've got a great foundation; you'll get it figured out with the help of the shaving veterans on this forum.

At 17 your face and beard will change, stick with it. Sometimes its one small thing that makes all the difference.
Technique is #1 once u feel you have that down make small adjustments.
Sharper blades may help.
Alum could help also, use lots its harmless.
Maybe give an extra day off between shaves.
Mild products and things for sensitive skin may help.
You could go to a different brand of razor.
Start with the cheap changes before you spend a lot of money.
Good luck, you Will find help here its a great group. :thumbup:

Thank you everyone for all the awesome support and tips. Some information that may shed more light on my situation is a little more detail on my routine along with my blade choices.

Like I said, I've always used the Merkur 34c but what I failed to mention was that I've also tried Derby and Astra blades in addition to the Merkurs. The Derby's have yielded the best results. My routine is to take a shower and wash my face before letting it run under the hot water for around 2 minutes. After that I go to the sink and build lather directly onto my face, seeing that I found this lather much better than when I tried to build it in a mug or bowl. I'll then let it sit on my face for around 15-30 seconds before I start shaving. I always take my first pass WTG. My biggest problem area is the parts of my neck to the left and right of my Adam's apple where there are difficult angles to navigate. On top of this, the hair grows in all different directions and switches directions many times as a approach my jawline. My second pass is only on my chin, jawline, and mustache area, XTG. I stick with only one pass on my neck because of irritation. I don't experience any irritation on the other areas of my face and they do ok with two passes. I wash off all of the soap and pat dry my face before applying a facial moisturizer. On average I probably wait two days until my next shave.

I think my next step will be to get a blade sampler pack and look into trying a different razor (perhaps the Muhle R41?). Any suggestions for products are welcome. Thank you again to everyone providing help and a welcoming environment!

Tom, Just keep on shaving, I think only time will help you to better your technique. Some gents take to it like a fish to water and some just have a hard go at it for the first few months...Use short strokes, USE ALUM, don't go Aganist The Grain (ATG) if it irritates you. Try only using ALCOHOL FREE products. I could write for an hour about technique but stick to these basic tips and you should be fine. Good luck sir.

I haven't used a de in awhile. But I had similar issues with that same part of my neck. Two things helped me:
1. Cold water shaving
2. Using a j hook technique in that part of the neck

Also, maybe using some noxema as a pre shave may help you. Or the proraso pre/post. Keep us updated!

I still get occasional irritation on my neck, but nothing bad any more. I did however have a sore neck for my first several months of DE shaving. One thing that helped me -- because one of my problems was the ommon one, where there are areas of my neck where the growth pattern is not "mappable", so no meaningful WTG on some areas -- came from forum bro Alex. He suggested just find the angle, go light, and go straight down, "north to south". Stop after two passes, and if that's too much, one pass, for a while. Just shorten the stroke and keep it very light, and it'll sort itself out. I think that really helped. Two passes got me close enough to go to work anyway, and I stopped chasing a full BBS for a while. Now I can get a BBS on my neck, and have only a little soreness, but it took while.

Thank you everyone for all the awesome support and tips. Some information that may shed more light on my situation is a little more detail on my routine along with my blade choices.

Like I said, I've always used the Merkur 34c but what I failed to mention was that I've also tried Derby and Astra blades in addition to the Merkurs. The Derby's have yielded the best results. My routine is to take a shower and wash my face before letting it run under the hot water for around 2 minutes. After that I go to the sink and build lather directly onto my face, seeing that I found this lather much better than when I tried to build it in a mug or bowl. I'll then let it sit on my face for around 15-30 seconds before I start shaving. I always take my first pass WTG. My biggest problem area is the parts of my neck to the left and right of my Adam's apple where there are difficult angles to navigate. On top of this, the hair grows in all different directions and switches directions many times as a approach my jawline. My second pass is only on my chin, jawline, and mustache area, XTG. I stick with only one pass on my neck because of irritation. I don't experience any irritation on the other areas of my face and they do ok with two passes. I wash off all of the soap and pat dry my face before applying a facial moisturizer. On average I probably wait two days until my next shave.

I think my next step will be to get a blade sampler pack and look into trying a different razor (perhaps the Muhle R41?). Any suggestions for products are welcome. Thank you again to everyone providing help and a welcoming environment!
Tom, you got some good shave advice from all. I would try some X pattern strokes, then a blade sampler pack. I think you should try other razors too, an adjustable gives you the power of choice for shave aggressiveness.

Top Bottom