What's new

Nib size/type correlation to shading?

As a new fountain pen user I have found that I am able to write much more consistently with my medium nib as opposed my 1.1 stub that I have. I actually don't think I have had my pen skip once while using the medium, where it seems like once a sentence with the Stub once I get half way down the page, I figure that's related to how I'm holding the pen/my posture at that point.

Anyways that's a little too in depth, my point is, is that I really like the shading of the new ink I got- a bottle of Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses, with the stub nib, but with my medium nib it looks more like just a plain purple ink. Is the shading related to how much ink the pen is actually laying down or is it because of the shape of the nib? I was wondering that if I were to get a broad nib for my pen if I would have the shading more like my 1.1, so that that way I could still write consistently throughout the day with the effect that I enjoy so much, while I would use my stub as a practice nib until I can really get the hang of it.

Edit: I had caved and bought a broad nib for my 580, I will report back whether it shades similar to the medium or the stub more once I get it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom