What's new

Black Handled Super Speed Disassembly

Here's the Ranger taken apart, your usual scummed threads:
$100_3171.jpg$100_3172.jpg

BTW, does anyone know if they originally plated these Rangers in Rhodium?? I have some suspicions that this was the case or that it was previously replated in Rhodium...the insides of the doors sure point all fingers to Rhodium plating. @Nuclearblast?

CAP, all I've read about these seems to mention only nickel plating.

These were nickel and the Milord were gold. But as you say it could be a replate, I really don't know.

CAP, all I've read about these seems to mention only nickel plating.

These were nickel and the Milord were gold. But as you say it could be a replate, I really don't know.
Thank you, Edgar! Now that I look closer, I think this thing was replated in rhodium, at least the doors and head were. The faint black marks seem to be consistent with distance issues from the anode when replating.

Those pics are far beyond what I expected, that looks great Cap. The shine on those doors is amazing.

The Rhodium plate is certainly a huge unexpected bonus.

Nuclear is right that they only were ever done in Nickel.

Would I be right that in that handle is significantly more dull? I may finish what someone else started, and have the handle done in rhodium. If I were to do that, would you recommended re-plating it all, or maybe just the handle & head?

Those pics are far beyond what I expected, that looks great Cap. The shine on those doors is amazing.

The Rhodium plate is certainly a huge unexpected bonus.

Nuclear is right that they only were ever done in Nickel.

Would I be right that in that handle is significantly more dull? I may finish what someone else started, and have the handle done in rhodium. If I were to do that, would you recommended re-plating it all, or maybe just the handle & head?

Yeah, it sure surprised me! I thought: "there's no way this is nickel". Maybe the previous owner had only the head done in rhodium because the handle is in fact dull. If you were to replate the razor in rhodium, you could probably get away with just doing the handle but I'm not certain on this. That would be a question for Mr. Evatt[emoji3]

The doors have two very faint scuff marks that you cannot see in the photos so that would be something to consider.

Maybe the previous owner had only the head done in rhodium because the handle is in fact dull.

The gentleman I procured it from did mention the handle, but assumed plate loss on the handle as opposed to a re-plate on the head & doors, so must have been the owner before him, or even before that. Seems like this piece may have done its fair share of travels.

If you were to replate the razor in rhodium, you could probably get away with just doing the handle but I'm not certain on this. That would be a question for Mr. Evatt[emoji3]

Good call Cap, I'll drop him a line pointing to these posts, and see what he thinks.

I am leaning towards holding out until I see how she shaves, reports of a Ranger Tech being comparable to a Super Speed but a tad closer seem a perfect fit on paper, though I may confirm this before lining her up for a full replate.

In any case, would be very interested in his opinion.

Thanks again for the clean & dissassembly, been chasing a Ranger for a while now. Glad I would offer you the opportunity to work on a Ranger Tech, and hopefully the pics help the next chap looking to clean one up.

CAP, the Ranger arrived today, thanks again for the clean. She arrived with a few other treasures I'll leave for their relevant threads.

Much closer shave than my Flair Tip. Also, the rhodium doors make for an amazing finish.

I have decided to leave the partial plate as it is for now, though I do see a Rhodium re-plate in her future, pics do not give the finish justice.

Now Ii know exactly what a rhodium plate looks like.... my flair tip doesn't look quite a shiny as it did yesterday...

CAP, the Ranger arrived today, thanks again for the clean. She arrived with a few other treasures I'll leave for their relevant threads.

Much closer shave than my Flair Tip. Also, the rhodium doors make for an amazing finish.

I have decided to leave the partial plate as it is for now, though I do see a Rhodium re-plate in her future, pics do not give the finish justice.

Now Ii know exactly what a rhodium plate looks like.... my flair tip doesn't look quite a shiny as it did yesterday...
Excellent news, my friend! Yeah, those rhodium doors really POP and they are tough as nails! Despite those small marks on the doors, the entire razor is stunning but would definitely justify a full rhodium job in the future...perhaps after the misses has shifted her focus!:lol:

Feel free to post up some of your own photos, my "green-cloth" themed photos can get a little monotonous:blush: Thanks again for working with me!

CAP,
I have a 55 flare tip that ive cleaned and polished, it looks great.
But last night, o noticed that one of the doors opens a little before the other.
Also, when closing the same door is always above the other one. When i fully tighten the doors shut, it is still, ever so slightly, higher that the other. To my eyes, it doesnt affect the blade loading, but i dont exactly know what im looking for.
Im at work so i cant post any pics, but if u need me to, to help i can.
From what i can see, it looks like the hole where it connects to the ear on the bottom of the head might be more worn or something on the other door, causing one to start moving and then when closing, sit up a little higher.
Sorry for the description, if its bad. Im fairly new. Dont know that much, yet.
Thanks.
P.s. my 48 SS doesnt have this problem. It operates perfectly.

CAP,
I have a 55 flare tip that ive cleaned and polished, it looks great.
But last night, o noticed that one of the doors opens a little before the other.
Also, when closing the same door is always above the other one. When i fully tighten the doors shut, it is still, ever so slightly, higher that the other. To my eyes, it doesnt affect the blade loading, but i dont exactly know what im looking for.
Im at work so i cant post any pics, but if u need me to, to help i can.
From what i can see, it looks like the hole where it connects to the ear on the bottom of the head might be more worn or something on the other door, causing one to start moving and then when closing, sit up a little higher.
Sorry for the description, if its bad. Im fairly new. Dont know that much, yet.
Thanks.
P.s. my 48 SS doesnt have this problem. It operates perfectly.
Stefan,

Pictures always help in these situations:thumbup: It sounds to me like one of the door hinges is bent slightly upward. This would cause one of the doors to operate funky and would certainly cause it to be higher than the other door. Simple alignment issues with these razors cause the "common" problems and are very easy to fix. Some of these tweaks can be made without taking apart the razor but it is tricky to do without making tool marks.

Stefan,

Pictures always help in these situations:thumbup: It sounds to me like one of the door hinges is bent slightly upward. This would cause one of the doors to operate funky and would certainly cause it to be higher than the other door. Simple alignment issues with these razors cause the "common" problems and are very easy to fix. Some of these tweaks can be made without taking apart the razor but it is tricky to do without making tool marks.

Ok. Well im sending this one along with others to chris. He recommended asking you first, so i dont have to pay extra shipping later if he cant tweak it.
Ill post pics when i get home, then figure out the plan. Still waiting on a slim to come in before i send them all out. Im going replate crazy!!! 5 razors if i counted correctly. Maybe 4... figure ill send them all at once and save on postage.
Thanks!!!
Oh and what angles would you like the pics? So you can best assess?
:)
And should i just pm them to you so im not hijacking your thread?

Last edited:
Ok. Well im sending this one along with others to chris. He recommended asking you first, so i dont have to pay extra shipping later if he cant tweak it.
Ill post pics when i get home, then figure out the plan. Still waiting on a slim to come in before i send them all out. Im going replate crazy!!! 5 razors if i counted correctly. Maybe 4... figure ill send them all at once and save on postage.
Thanks!!!
Oh and what angles would you like the pics? So you can best assess?
:)
And should i just pm them to you so im not hijacking your thread?
Stefan,
Sounds like you are having some fun anyways! :cool: You can just post em up in the thread here, that way we can all benefit by seeing the "common issues" with these razors. Besides, sending photos via PM can be a little cumbersome.

If you can, try to get some shots of the razor looking straight on at the door hinges or "endcaps". Both sides would be nice to see. Also, if you can, get some photos looking at the safety bars straight on.:biggrin:

First two, fully closed and tightened,,,
$CAM00509.jpg
$CAM00511.jpg
Second two, side shots when closed but not tight.
$CAM00512.jpg
$CAM00513.jpg

Attachments

• $CAM00514.jpg
    $CAM00514.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 123
Other side safety bar,
$CAM00515.jpg
This is of the bottom plate, notice the difference in spacing between the ears and bottom plate.
$CAM00516.jpg

Top Bottom