What's new

New Found Respect and Admiration for GEM Bullet Tip Micromatic

I have the safety bar version of the Bullet Tip Micromatic. I never really likely the way it shaved. It seemed to consistently be very harsh. I was even considering selling it to make space in the den. Well, I gave it one more shot, but made an adjustment to my angle, holding it ALMOST flat against my face. I had one of the closest, most comfortable shaves ever! I had absolutely no irritation and my shave was super smooth. This bad boy is going to have more involvement in my rotation.

SE blades, and injector blades which are a type of SE blade, are intended to be used at an angle similar to a straight razor. That is to say almost flat against the face. Any steeper angle will cause them to scrape, rather than cut the stubble. When used properly, they give very smooth, comfortable, and efficient shaves, as you discovered.

Excellent that you did not give up on the Gem Bullet Tip (Flying Wing). You mentioned the safety bar version of the Bullet Tip, there were three models in the Micromatic series. In accordance to their release dates the models were the Micromatic open comb the Clog-pruf and the Flying Wing.

Personally, I have found that especially with the Micromatic models keeping the razor's head almost flat on the skin works best. I don't know if this is your first SE razor. The SE blade is rigid and doesn't flex like a DE blade for first time users this will take time to get used to. The Flying Wing is an excellent SE razor.

$nlsjmp.jpg

I starter traditional shaving with a Schick Type L, so I was used to the rigid blades. I always get amazing shaves from injectors, and even use them to shave my body... lower regions included. Now that's trust! For some reason it just didn't sink in at first that the angle needed to be very shallow, but now I look forward to using this razor much more!

I just discover the flat against the skin technique today with my MMOC and it made the shave so smooth. I found that even a small angle of the skin caused it to feel very rough. I guess the angle that set on the head was the angle that I should be using, at least on these razors.

Top Bottom