What's new

Shave like grandpa

I've been thinking about how many of us like to think we shave like grandpa. But I think there's a big difference between us and grandpa--RAD, SAD, SCADD, etc., while grandpa likely had one razor, one soap or cream, one brush, and one aftershave.

In the spirit of gentlemanly restraint, I'm going to really try to shave like grandpa for one month by limiting myself to one of each product. Anyone care to join me?

If you do, share what your single choice will be. I think I'll use my Ever Ready 1912, EJ menthol soap, AoS badger brush, and Clubman aftershave. I'll try to post pics of my choices tonight.

This is exactly what I been aiming for, and as I've eliminated most things now, I'm almost there, so count me in!
My pretty much usual set up...
Tech, Gillette Wilkinson blades, LaToja, Bambino brush and AV Blue.
A few items here and there I want to finish getting my moneys worth from, but then it's just what I 'need'.

I've been doing this for a week...y'know, the whole "don't mess with the streak" thing. I'm up for a good challenge.
For the past week I've been using exclusively a 1963 Gillette Adjustable, Personna Blues (swapped out after the third day), Cella and an Omega boar. I have used different aftershaves, but will need to examine the stock to see which one can take a month of abuse...I'm thinking Clubman Original. Each shave the past week has been darned good with this set up, and have had no inclination to change. Another four weeks? Why not?

Last edited:
Not that I have much of a choice, I will join in. VDH razor, personna lab blues, VDH badger brush, and CO bigelow cream. AS is AV blue and Nivea ASB (I use both). I just have to tell myself when the Proraso red and TOBS Jermyn St creams get in, not to try them.

I'm OK acquiring new goods during the month, just having the restraint to set them aside. October 1 might feel like Christmas!

right this moment I think I would struggle with this, as I'm only scratching the surface on the soap stash from the wife. so many to choose from. everything else would be easy though: Parker 99R, BIC Chrome Platinum blades and my B&B blue boar. aftershave is ALWAYS thayers lemon with aloe. yup, the soap would be the hard one for sure.

This sounds like a fun thing to participate in :) might give it a go. Only thing is that I change everything a lot that I can't remember what works for certain each shave.

I'm in. My grandfather had a single brush - it lived in the soap mug - no rotation or even air drying. And a single DE that I now wish I had. I'm not going to replicate the single container of old spice, but I'll limit it to one brand. Thanks for the motivation.

Shave like grandpa???? Shoot, I've been doing that for fifty years -- using whatever was at hand until it broke or I ran out. Now, I'm going to have some FUN!!!!

I'm in...I think.. I hope I can last a whole month...what is the starting and ending date?

I'll use an Omega Pro 48
-Astra SP's
-Gillette Tech Made in England that I just got today at an antique shop...just tried this and I'm not crazy about it so I'll use the New Improved Bostonian instead
-Proraso Green Soap
-Nivea After Shave

Should be fun but let me know when it starts and when it ends so we can all do it at the same time

Last edited:
The goal I'm putting out is September 1 through September 30. Here's my set I'll use for the month!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 579
I recall my my Dad telling me that his Father used to shave with a straight edge. It's ashamed my Dad didn't save that razor. I would have loved to have it!

My Grandfather also used to eat peas with a knife. He used to pick them up and roll them into his mouth on the knife! As a little kid I tried doing it. I didn't do well at all. My Mom told me to stop playing with my peas. lol

Nice idea!

If I was to truly shave like my Grandad then my setup would be:

- Bar hand soap lathered with,
- No-name boar brush with 50% of it's hairs shed already,
- Ever Ready 1912,
- Gem SE with about 85 shaves on it (palm-stropped to bring the edge back),
- No aftershave!

To me ^this^ is not such a nice experience, but that was my "frugal" grandad!

In honour of him, I think I might strip away the luxuries in my shave to my bare-minimum & keep it simple for a month!

My granddad used Tabac soap and after shave for as long as I can remember. And Brylcreem for in his hair.

Since my wife hates the Tabac scent, shaving like my granddad is not an option.

Edit: my dad always used De Vergulde Hand soap, and Valdelis aftershave. The soap I can live with, but not the aftershave (really cheap scent, imho).

Last edited:
I'm in. Easy for me though, I only have to choose my blade. I believe the next one up is Gillette Yellow. It'll join...
Maggard MR1
Proraso Red
Omega Pro
Alum

How did I miss this thread....

I did the 1 of everything thing for about 2 weeks a couple months ago. What I found was that using Ogallala Bay Rum daily changes the way it smells on me to an almost "fishy" scent... it's still my favorite AS, but I can't use it more than 2 days in row anymore without catching hints of fish.

Top Bottom