What's new

It's been a while since we talked about Oud oil

Anyone have any good Oud oil recommendations?
It's been far too long since we've talked about Oud.

I'm getting tempted to spring for a few new samples.

There's a love hate for it but I like Dior leather Oud. Had M7 vintage and just did not care for it.

There's a love hate for it but I like Dior leather Oud. Had M7 vintage and just did not care for it.

Ahh but those are a far cry from real oud oil.
I'm talking about the thick oil that comes right from the trees after it's distilled.

Western Oud fragrances are nothing like actual oil.
you might just like the oil.

I'm working through a bunch of samples I recently purchased from The World In Scents, which is simply ASAQ's first brick-n-mortar store for their oils and blends in N. America. I can't say I'm very impressed by what I've tried but it's been interesting, entertaining, and educating to smell more eastern blends, especially from a line that has been around for ages and is highly respected in the eastern world. TWIS has a $15 off coupon and free shipping right now and one of their sample packs is on sale so I took advantage. I have some straight oud samples as well but just haven't gotten around to them yet. They also offer an oud EdP, which I'm excited to try.

Taha moved Agar Aura to Indonesia and has some really great stuff for sale right now but I haven't had a chance to delve into it. The Agar Aura line is still my favorite source for good ouds and attars. He's already sold out of Marrakech, which was the third of the enfleurages he was doing and had frankincense and real ambergris in it. But it looks like he's sources some REALLY good straight oud oils. Just wish I could afford them.

Glad you're brining up the topic for discussion!

I've been wanting to try some "real" oud oils....not sure where to get them. I do know they're pretty pricey though. Where's the best place to try the real deal?

I'm working through a bunch of samples I recently purchased from The World In Scents, which is simply ASAQ's first brick-n-mortar store for their oils and blends in N. America. I can't say I'm very impressed by what I've tried but it's been interesting, entertaining, and educating to smell more eastern blends, especially from a line that has been around for ages and is highly respected in the eastern world. TWIS has a $15 off coupon and free shipping right now and one of their sample packs is on sale so I took advantage. I have some straight oud samples as well but just haven't gotten around to them yet. They also offer an oud EdP, which I'm excited to try.

Taha moved Agar Aura to Indonesia and has some really great stuff for sale right now but I haven't had a chance to delve into it. The Agar Aura line is still my favorite source for good ouds and attars. He's already sold out of Marrakech, which was the third of the enfleurages he was doing and had frankincense and real ambergris in it. But it looks like he's sources some REALLY good straight oud oils. Just wish I could afford them.

Glad you're brining up the topic for discussion!

I'm on Taha's mailing list. I was quite surprised when he moved away. It was handy having him in Canada. He has an excellent nose for perfumery. I'm loving some of the oils he made from Thai agarwood. I might just have to save up for some more samples.

I've been wanting to try some "real" oud oils....not sure where to get them. I do know they're pretty pricey though. Where's the best place to try the real deal?

I've only been trying oils from Agaraura.com. I just love his products. I hear good things about ensaroud.com but have never ordered anything there.

Search out some more Oud threads in this forum and you'll likely find some places to try.
Remember, a sample vial can cost as much as a full bottle of EdT. The thing to remember is you only need a small swipe.
I mean SMALL!!!!

Just read a good question on another thread about edt that has some relevance to oud oils. Understand oud is powerful, and expensive even in small amounts. But how much of it do you apply and where do you apply it on the body?

Just read a good question on another thread about edt that has some relevance to oud oils. Understand oud is powerful, and expensive even in small amounts. But how much of it do you apply and where do you apply it on the body?

Glad to see we're talking about oud oil again. I've got some samples of Taha's latest on their way, but haven't been buying full bottles because man cannot love oud AND fancy honing stones and still be fiscally responsible.

John,

As for how much and where to apply, you need tiny, tiny amounts. A single drop is way too much. We measure in "swipes" which is probably a tenth of a drop or less. If you apply it directly to your skin, the wrists and neck let's say, then you will get at least 8 to 10 hours. What I do, however, is apply it to my chest directly and then when I put on my undershirt, I'll make sure to rub the undershirt against my chest so some of the oil gets on the shirt. Oud applied to your clothing in this way will last 12 to 14 hours and I've even been able to detect a faint trace a full 24 hours later. Try not to apply it directly to your clothing because it will stain permanently. You can also swipe each wrist and then rub that on your clothes, but just be careful about the staining.

Like the others, I can't say enough good about Taha from Agar Aura. This guy is a fanatic about quality stuff.

Note that pure oud is not for everyone. I did part of my growing up on a farm and a lot of the prevalent scents in oud are familiar to anyone who's ever spent time in a barn. It's way more complex than that, but for some people, even a hint of funkiness is unattractive.

I can easily recommend any of Taha's Mukhallats which are blends that include oud. They're less expensive, but way more complex and interesting than anything else you can find at that price, and most of them are friendlier to western noses.

What does the actual oil smell like?

Like nothing you've ever smelled; how it smells depends strongly on where it was harvested, wild versus "cultured" and distillation method.

First you'll hate it. But it'll plant a worm in your brain which has you revisiting it more and more often. Oud from Borneo seems to be the most accessible; Oud from Assam my favorite. I love its barnyard, leathery, feral smells.

Mukhallats are an excellent introduction to not only Ouds but also Middle Eastern perfumery. If you are lucky you'll find the rare one which combines taif rose and an Assam into the most wonderful, creamy leather you'll ever smell.

Different sellers tend to sell different scent profiles. Taha at Agar Aura does a very nice unfunky Indian, excellent Borneos and excellent Cambodians.

Last edited:
I really like mukhallats and attars better than straight oud oils, personally, but that's because I like the way oud plays with other notes. I think Taha does some of the best blends around and I've tried some from others including Ensar Oud, which are also pretty good. Oud is a lot like sandalwood (NOT in scent profile) to me because I love the smell but can get bored with it as a stand alone fragrance. But when mixed with other scents it really grabs my attention. Lucky for me, too, because it's a lot less expensive that way. Agar Aura's samples are very affordable and a great way to get a taste. Right now he has the Sweet Siam available, which meant to be an affordable intro to ouds. I highly recommend it.

Also, seconding the caution on application. A little goes a VERY long way. I usually just swipe the wand on my wrist and rub my wrists together, then sometimes rub my wrists back across the side of my head to scent my hair. I also apply it at night sometimes maybe an hour before going to bed. Everywhere my wrists go - pillow, top edge of sheets, etc. - gets scented by the oil, which lingers for weeks. It's so relaxing!

I agree that the straight Oils aren't always the best route to go.
Sometimes they can blow you away and other times they are almost too much.

Recently I've fallen in love with Taha's oils and Attars from Thai agarwood.

I really like mukhallats and attars better than straight oud oils, personally, but that's because I like the way oud plays with other notes. I think Taha does some of the best blends around and I've tried some from others including Ensar Oud, which are also pretty good. Oud is a lot like sandalwood (NOT in scent profile) to me because I love the smell but can get bored with it as a stand alone fragrance. But when mixed with other scents it really grabs my attention. Lucky for me, too, because it's a lot less expensive that way. Agar Aura's samples are very affordable and a great way to get a taste. Right now he has the Sweet Siam available, which meant to be an affordable intro to ouds. I highly recommend it.
Also, seconding the caution on application. A little goes a VERY long way. I usually just swipe the wand on my wrist and rub my wrists together, then sometimes rub my wrists back across the side of my head to scent my hair. I also apply it at night sometimes maybe an hour before going to bed. Everywhere my wrists go - pillow, top edge of sheets, etc. - gets scented by the oil, which lingers for weeks. It's so relaxing!

I bought some a few days ago, and it shipped, so now the long wait. I'm very excited to try something new, and let me tell you...that Taha is VERY very nice. The communication from him (I think he's a him, could be a her I guess..anyway) has been incredible to say the least. If I even remotely like Sweet Siam, I'm going to buy more and more from him. Thanks for the direction, Gents!

I bought some a few days ago, and it shipped, so now the long wait. I'm very excited to try something new, and let me tell you...that Taha is VERY very nice. The communication from him (I think he's a him, could be a her I guess..anyway) has been incredible to say the least. If I even remotely like Sweet Siam, I'm going to buy more and more from him. Thanks for the direction, Gents!

Cool!
When you get your oil let us know what you think.

Just when I thought the service couldn't get any better, I get an email from Taha explaining that someone has purchased his entire stock of Sweet Siam. He apologized profusely and offered me another free sample of some Cambodian oil that he's working on, or any others (with the exception of a few, which I assume are very expensive or rare) that he has in stock.

I haven't even tried the juice yet, but know that I'd do business with Taha anytime. If anyone is interested in oud oils and wants to try it, please visit his site and get your samples from him. This world needs more merchants like Taha. Thanks again for pointing me in his direction.

It's a him. He's as nice on the phone as he is via email.

Top Bottom