What's new

Gap between knot plug and handle problem

Hello
I am restoring a couple of brushes, my first restorations by the way. The knots have finally arrived today, so I popped the knots into the handle to see how they would fit, without the epoxy.
There seems to be a bit of a gap between the plug and the handle, approximately 0.5ml.
Will this cause a problem? Or should I set the knot a little deeper and the bloom will fill this in?
Cheers for the help.

That shouldn't be a problem although I usually fit mine a bit tighter when I can. I don't try to finish off the hole until I have the knot in hand, and I don't order the knot until I have the hole roughed out enough to approximate the the correct measurement to determine the knot to use. When it is too tight, I open the hole a little. I usually put in a slightly larger knot than what came out so I can finish the hole size to where I want it.

I have only drilled the knot out , I didnt try to smooth it out as I thought it would be best to have the knot. If I remember correctly the hole measured 21mm so I have actually gone up to a 22mm knot, being the first time I had a feeling it may be a bit tricky picking a knot size.

plastic epoxy will fill it in. Just make sure it sets and sits perfectly parallel to the handle (vertical wise). You don't want that brush leaning to one side. As it blooms it will fill in the gap and the epoxy will hold the knot in well. Be generous with it.

The pressure is on!
I have a Dremel workstation which I'm going to use to drill a bit deeper so hopefully that will keep the bottom level.
Cheers for the tips guys.

Top Bottom