What's new

90 Day Challenge

I'm in.

Goals:
My Thanksgiving goal is down 30 lbs on my way to a 70 lb total goal. A secondary goal is to drop all diabetic meds before the challenge is over.

How:
1. I need to get back on a high protein diet and eliminate the carbs for the duration of the challenge. Moderate exercise is on the agenda, including twice daily walks at least four times a week and seeking out daily opportunities to increase my step count. An intermediate goal is 3000 daily steps. Unfortunately, that is all the exercise my knees will accept.

Backstory:
I've lost a total of 140 lbs. so far but the weight loss has stalled in the last few months. I've come so far and this challenge is just what I need to get back on track and finish the job.

By my count we have eleven participants so we might make that dozen goal!

Welcome and good luck! Being able to drop the meds is an accomplishment and you've done a great job so far -- keep up the good work!:thumbup1:

I accept your 90 Day Challenge and up the ante for myself. They say 90 says is also a good way to add new habits. So here goes for me!

My Goals:
1. Get a job, as I am currently unemployed.
2. Lose 15 pounds (American weight not British currency).
3. Read something uplifting daily (Scripture, Poetry, Jokes, Comic Strips, etc.).

How:
1. a. Rewrite my Cover Letter (already polished up the Resume).
1. b. Applications 5 days a week.
1. c. Follow up emails once a week. at least.
2. a. Exercise 20 minutes minimum 4 mornings a week.
2. b. Evening walks at least 3 nights a week.
2. c. Reduce my portions and make healthier food choices.
3. Do the reading first thing in the morning (Before shaving)!

How:
1. a. Rewrite my Cover Letter (already polished up the Resume).
1. b. Applications 5 days a week.
1. c. Follow up emails once a week. at least.
2. a. Exercise 20 minutes minimum 4 mornings a week.
2. b. Evening walks at least 3 nights a week.
2. c. Reduce my portions and make healthier food choices.
3. Do the reading first thing in the morning (Before shaving)!

Like the goals!

I have a Scripture verse for you for today to read (It has helped me when I was looking for work myself).

Proverbs 3:5-6New King James Version (NKJV)

[SUP]5 [/SUP]Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
[SUP]6 [/SUP]In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall directyour paths.

Welcome KindestCut.

Yesterday: Pretty much just the minimum -- 10 miles walking and 1900 calories. Looking forward to swimming with my daughter today.

Activities: 15 Miles of walking, swimming lessons with my daughter, and core workout

Intake: 1700 with 117g protein, 27.5g fat, 251.2g carbs, and 41g fiber

A little lower than normal on caloric intake but I'm not hungry so no need to add.

proxy.php

My kind of diet food! :thumbup:

Went for Chinese for my son's birthday the other night and got some steamed dumplings, edamame, and vegetable mu shu, with brown rice. Much better than the spare ribs, egg roll, general tso's chicken, and orange beef I would normally order.

Went for Chinese for my son's birthday the other night and got some steamed dumplings, edamame, and vegetable mu shu, with brown rice. Much better than the spare ribs, egg roll, general tso's chicken, and orange beef I would normally order.

Keep up the good work! It really is those little changes that add up. I changed from two large double cream double sugar coffees to two small skim milk cappuccinos and that saves me about 500 cals per day but gives me the same caffeine boast.

Avoided bread Friday and Saturday, did a lot of walking around NYC and burned about 3000 calories prepping, cleaning and cooking for SWMBO's birthday party.

I am in starting today!

Goals:
Lose 20 pounds by end of November
Decrease waist size to 33
Do 20 strict form pull-ups
Run my running route 5K in 28 minutes or better

How:
Stop eating out so much
Stop buying ice cream, beer, chips and other junk food when doing groceries
Exercise daily for 20 minutes
Drink lots of water

Thanks Tony I need this. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
I started a diet at the first of July and lost about 20lbs in 20 days. I am posting here because I would like to loose an additional 10.

I plan to keep following my diet.

“The” Diet (mikewood)

I have been looking at a lot of diets and realized that I needed to make a change in how I was eating so I came up with a diet I can live with. This is not a diet to lose weight and stop or go back... This is a choice to make a lifestyle change. Formerly it was fried chicken and beer. This diet takes into account sugar, carbs and their effects on the body vs meat and green leafy vegetables. There are three phases to the diet. The first is the weight loss/detox phase and lasts 20-30 days. The second phase last 14 days and is designed to slowly bring you back into the world of carbs. The third phase is permanent. The diet never ends. Once you clear a phone you can choose to go back or phase 1 a day or two or three.

The first thing is to make yourself publicly accountable to someone. An internet chat board or blog as a peer group is fine. Get a partner to diet with you. Your wife is perfect. Measure your height exactly and weigh yourself every morning and update the thread daily. Calculate BMR ignore BMI! Keep in mind a few things. Weight fluctuates but is lowest and the most stable in the morning so that reading is the most accurate. A pint weighs a pound. If you just drank a quart of water you increased your weight by two pounds but don’t worry, it will be gone by morning.

During Phase 1 there can be absolutely zero cheating. If you do you will set yourself back two to three days on the diet as carbs and sugar have a devastating effect on weight loss. Spend as much time as you need to get to your goal but a healthy person can expect to lose 1 pound a day.

Phase 1 weight loss/detox (20-30 days straight with no cheating)
1. No alcohol, sugar, dairy, fruit, beans, corn, roots, seeds or grains.

2. Eat 3-4 meals of Green vegetables, green leafy vegetables, onions, lean meat, lots of water. 1 gal a day minimum. Plus all you can drink tea and coffee. Unwich from jimmy johns hold the mayo, lots of salad with sliced beef or grilled chicken,

Phase 2 introduction to ‘real food”
1. Begin including the following. Whole grain and a few nuts and some fruit. (Whole grain means whole seeds and grain kernels). My diet is still mostly 3-4 meals a day of green vegetables, onions, meat, 1 gal of water a day Plus tea and coffee but it's (and I am) much easier to deal with.

Phase 3 the new normal
1. Add a bit of processed grain. 1 slice of pizza, a bun on a sliced beef sandwich, two tacos, one beer. These are little or small and frequent meals. I am still losing weight but at a slower and more steady rate. Because I am playing with carbs I am weighing food, more closely looking at BMR vs caloric intake and being more cautious. My body likes having carbs again. The trick from this point on is not too many. IE. One slice of pizza, one granola bar, Put half the pasta Alfredo in the doggie bag BEFORE I start eating. I can have a hamburger and fries at Whataburger but I get the #7, small burger and small fry and diet drink instead of the double meat with cheese and supersize drink and fry.

Here are my numbers (they are real date, weights of me)
6-30-14, 253, AM.
7-4-14, 245, PM
7-5-14, 243, AM
7-6-14, 243, AM
7-8-14, 242, AM
7-10-14, 240, AM
7-14-14, 240, AM
7-17-14, 237,AM
7-19-14, 235,AM
7-26-14, 235,AM
7-30-14, 233,AM
7-15-14, 229,AM
8-27-14. 229, AM

Last edited:
Welcome Noah!

Mike, best of luck that's a tough 20 to 30 days so make sure you keep posting so we can encourage you.

Today finished up my week of birthday celebration, so I'm jumping in on this tomorrow.

Goals:
  1. Drop one belt notch and clothes fit comfortably again
  2. Run, without walking, entire 5k on 11/01/14
  3. Eliminate intake of unhealthy and processed foods

Plan:
  1. Make better eating choices and keep healthy snacks on hand
  2. Introduce weight training on running rest days
  3. Complete 5k program and move on to 10k program

I've finished up week three of my couch to 5k program (via RunKeeper), so I'll keep with that program and add some weight training on my rest days. Today we converted the den into a workout room, so there are no excuses other than laziness.

Joe, have you done the C25K program before? It's a great start and very popular. If you have a running club in your area they often have those starting regularly.

David, I did the same RunKeeper program last year, ran (with some walking) two 5ks, then got sidelined for a year with a couple overuse injuries (knee and foot). The knee issue I could run through, but the foot was excruciating. This time around I'm paying much closer attention to my body's cues since invincibility apparently diminishes with age.

I figured I would find my baseline for this challenge. I just weighed in at a hair under 191. I'm going to aim for losing a lucky 13 pounds along this journey.

Top Bottom