What's new

90 Day Challenge

Inspired by David's (dabrock) success here - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/419105-My-90-Day-Transformation, and despairing of my lack of success so far in monthlies, I thought I'd start a new challenge.
(The originators of buying restraint threads have a certain moral obligation to keep things going, so it will work for me too. Honest.)

90 Day Gentlemanly Restraint Until Thanksgiving (90GUT for short)

Open to all comers, whether you are participating or encouraging from the sidelines. Join in when you can, no hard and fast date. I will start 8/29, 90 days until 11/27.

Rules:
1. Post your goals and how you expect to achieve them. Be as specific as you can, but expect to change it up as you get leaner and meaner.
2. Be honest with the group and with yourself.
3. Have fun.
4. Post updates, goals, dreams and aspirations. Jokes, tips, diets, recommendations and pics welcome too.
5. Participate often. See Rules 3 and 4 for details.
6. There is noooo Rule 6.

There just might be a shaving related PIF involved for entrants, ya never know.

My goals:
15 pound drop to under 220.
Fit my old size 36 pants without breaking seams or doing myself an injury.
Be able to wear my Slim Fit 16 1/2" shirts without threat of high velocity button bursts.
Be able to run 1.5 miles without need to call 911.

How:
Increase time at gym to at least once weekly.
Exercise in house at least 20 minutes, at least 4 days a week.
Walk dog 2x per day, start run/walk.
Log food on MFP.
Cut carbs - no soda, no wheat, no potatoes, no less chocolate.

Ok, I'll be the first one to bite.

Current weight: 179 lbs...180 on a bad day

My goals:

1. Lose 9-10 more lbs to get to 170, the lightest I would have been since I was a 21 year old Airman and just got back from Saudi Arabia. Lighter even, actually. If I could hit 169 lbs, I would weigh less than I did in high school.
  2. Hit a pant size with equal length and waist. In my case, 32x32 would be the correct size. I have a brand new pair of 33x32 Levi's at home that I just made it into, but I left the tags on them so I can exchange them for 32x32's if I can get into a pair, comfortably.
  3. Complete a half-marathon with my 12 year old daughter on October 18th. Bonus goal is to finish in 2:15 or less.

How:
  1. Continue my weekly running schedule, which is a slightly modified version of Hal Higdon's half-marathon training schedule.
  2. Incorporate biking into my training.
  3. Beyond an occasional glass of wine with dinner, cut alcohol out of my diet during the week.
  4. Continue to log my food intake into my fitness pal & share my workouts on daily mile to keep me accountable.
  5. Don't eat garbage foods.

Excellent! I could go for the pant size with equal length and waist, though I haven't been 32x32 since my first beer. I could try medieval torture racks for increased height.
180 is my ultimate goal, puts me in the high end of normal BMI. If I can get below 200, I can probably kiss my prehypertension goodbye.

Even though I have my weight loss journey posted here (and many of my updates will be posted there), I will join in this as well starting today until the day before Thanksgiving, as I have plateaued and see myself starting to go backwards in some areas.

My goals:
35 pound drop to 399.
Fit into size 50 pants without breaking seams or doing myself an injury. (currently a 54)
Be able to run 0.5 miles without need to call 911.

How:
Increase time at gym to at least 3x/week
Continue to Log food on MFP, and change my goal calories to 2500 calories/day from 3100/day (would give me ~15lbs lost just in calories cut)
ask others to evaluate MFP entries and help with better food options, as I still struggle with quick junk meals. (kevdogg329 on MFP)

(The originators of buying restraint threads have a certain moral obligation to keep things going, so it will work for me too. Honest.)

I hope that helps with your motivation. I am watching you on MFP as well :hand:

I think I need to be in on this too! We've got weigh-ins coming up and even when I first joined I was at the cusp of the cutoff.

I'm going to have to think about the specific goals for a little bit, but for now:
My goals:
30 pound drop to under 190.
Fit my old size 32 pants.
Be able to wear my new uniforms without looking pregnant.
Be able to swim 500 yards at a brisk pace.

How:
Increase time at gym to at least once weekly or more often as time allows
Walk dog 2x per day eventually working up to a run.
Less alcohol consumption (once or twice a week).

So glad you started this thread. I am going to subscribe to this thread now, but will check back in later to post my goals. Thanks and looking forward to the ride!

I'm in, still need to drop about 4 to 9 lbs depending on how I feel when I lose the first 4.

I will continue to hit the gym, run and walk. I will slowly bring up my calories to equilibrium and get ready for maintenance of my goal weight, which will likely be around 2600 calories. I will continue to keep snack foods out of my house and keep restaurant visits to a minimum.

1. Haggises
2. 73mountaineer
3. kevdogg329
4. abragus
5. dgreene120
6. dabrock

Even though I have my weight loss journey posted here (and many of my updates will be posted there), I will join in this as well starting today until the day before Thanksgiving, as I have plateaued and see myself starting to go backwards in some areas.

My goals:
35 pound drop to 399.
Fit into size 50 pants without breaking seams or doing myself an injury. (currently a 54)
Be able to run 0.5 miles without need to call 911.

How:
Increase time at gym to at least 3x/week
Continue to Log food on MFP, and change my goal calories to 2500 calories/day from 3100/day (would give me ~15lbs lost just in calories cut)
ask others to evaluate MFP entries and help with better food options, as I still struggle with quick junk meals. (kevdogg329 on MFP)

Keep up the excellent work!:thumbup:

Ok ... I'm in!

Goals
1. Continue commuting by bike three days a week.
2. 350 miles, minimum, on the bike in each of Sept/Oct/Nov.
3. Stir up the guts to enter at least one cyclocross race. Ideally four or five.
4. Resume weight lifting.
5. 250 pounds by November 27 (currently 267 as of this morning).

How: Eating better, riding lots and lifting.

I'm in for sure. Maybe this group accountability will help motivate me to keep with it.

When I was in college, going through Air Force ROTC, the max weight for my height was 184, and I was always between 180 and 184 in college. On active duty (no max weight), I stayed between 185-190 for a while, but over the years I have crept up to 205. I'm now retired form the Air Force, and now that I don't "have" to be in shape, I "want" to be in shape.

I've had an injury to my ankle for the past year and have done very little to work out since that happened (which helped me in going past 200). I haven't stepped in a gym for quite some time, and the ankle still hurts when I run.

So, my goals are not really set in stone yet, but firstly I want t increase my activity levels, by trying to go to the gym every morning before work. I start work at 7am and the gym opens at 5am. o Getting up that early has been hard for me to adjust to.
I want to start lifting weights, which I have never done, to increase my strength and metabolism.
I would like to get down to 185 in 90 days, which is about a 20 pound weight loss.
I will think on it and flesh this out a bit more soon.

1. Haggises
2. 73mountaineer
3. kevdogg329
4. abragus
5. dgreene120
6. dabrock
7. jjking54
8. TheVez2

Last edited:
I did my normally back and biceps workout but it was horrible start to the workout today due to stiffness from the softball tournament yesterday. Seriously, sore from softball? I really feel old! :wheelchair: Had to keep my deadlifts below my normal weights but the rest of the workout was good.

Food-wise I'm a little under normal intake and need to get a little more protein in before I go to bed, but otherwise it's been a good day.

Welcome all! Wonder if we can get to a dirty dozen..

But Jings and Crivvens, the 90 day inspiration has started already! I'm not mentally ready yet!
Also going to NYC tomorrow to celebrate SWMBO's birthday. Will be on best eating behavior.

I wouldn't say that I've become a vegetarian, but over the past few weeks, I've significantly reduced the amount of meat that I've been eating. Been eating oatmeal for breakfast, a salad and/or soup for lunch, and a healthy dinner. Now I've got to figure out a way to get myself active.

Welcome all! Wonder if we can get to a dirty dozen..

But Jings and Crivvens, the 90 day inspiration has started already! I'm not mentally ready yet!
Also going to NYC tomorrow to celebrate SWMBO's birthday. Will be on best eating behavior.

Well, that's going to be a tough start!

Top Bottom