What's new

Would You Still Use A Boar Brush If.

I chose the brush based on the results and the way it feels on my skin. I kid myself that It just happens to be made of badger. But I do appreciate that it is "badja".

If I woke up in a world where those prices were the norm, I'd wait to wake up... ;-)

I'm just glad that my favorite brushes are more than reasonable. My Parker Pure Badger shaving brush was only $35, my Parker chrome handled Silvertip was a little over $40, and then my boar brushes were far below that. My Semogue 1305 was around $19, and the Omega 10098 that I love and adore was less than $12 with my Prime account on Amazon. This is the world in which I'm glad I live. :-D

Probably not to the extreme of the original post, but I have done this to a lesser extent. My SOC boar was more than 50 bucks after shipping, while my whipped dog silvertip was only 30 shipped. Kind of backwards, but the soc is a great brush and I wouldn't hesitate to drop the coin again.

Given today's prices, I've already given up boar. If your hypothetical pricing were in effect, I probably would never have tried boar.

I wouldn't have tried badger if I couldn't get one for under £125. But, with a less extreme price differential, I'd still enjoy a good boar brush if it cost more than badger.

I think the reason that most of us are so amazed about some boars, is that they can be such a good quality product for a very good price. I don't know that a boar upwards of a Benjamin could still fit in that category. also considering the availability of badger hair vs boar is likely where the price difference is at (excluding of course T&M for making the high quality badgers). however, I would bet that if some of these high end brush makers made "high quality" boar brushes, they could garner a high(er) dollar amount and I believe they would get it from they're die hard fans and loyalists.

me for my part, I love that you can get a really well made quality boar brush from Omega for less than $20. I don't believe I would spend much more then that, considering I am not even slightly interested in a SOC or something similar when I have omega at my disposal.

I don't know if I get the question. You can get a good badger for way less than $125. Maybe not a Great badger, but definitely good.

I started with cheap badgers and boars and horses. If $125 was the entry level for a boar, I wouldn't have tried. If $125 was the entry level for a badger, that would have been a long time coming too.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Sure. I have three badgers: $70, $135 and $195 - and most days I use an SOC (because I like it, not because it's my most expensive brush).

I chose my brushes on the value for my money and their quality. My preference is boar, if the cost was out of reach I would chose the brush that give me the best quality.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
It may not be the popular opinion right now, but YES. I would spend $125 on the Semogue SOC Boar if that were the going rate over $20 for an extremely luxurious Silvertip badger. Boar brushes really work well for me.

​nope...........have enough bores to last me two life times......:biggrin1: And I prefer boars.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom