What's new

Hurricane katrina survivor rescued after nine years

What a great story! I am a lifelong (44 years) resident of New Orleans and hope to spend my entire life here. It's an incredible, unique city with some of the most passionate citizens you will ever meet. Nothing makes me more proud than seeing how this city has come back from that disaster in a way many said would be impossible. My Nola is now stronger and better than ever!

Incredible job! And a great story.

As for Hurricane Katrina, we did write a cheque. But my American wife actually went to volunteer there doing animal relief work about six months after the storm. We already had two beagles (father and son) and my wife found this tough, emaciated little female beagle suffering from heart worm, with mild congestive heart failure. So we adopted her and brought her to Canada. She was incredibly sick and the vet here in Canada wasn't sure that she'd survive the treatment. But we gave her a shot, and she did well. And she's still thriving nine years later.

Meet Daisy Katrina:

And I just can't seem to attach a picture in Tapatalk, lol. Laptop to the rescue! Here she is now around 10.5 years old:

$Daisy.jpg

Last edited:
To all B & B members and readers in general. Thanks for your kind words and commentary. Speaking on behalf of Cap and Ken, we appreciate it!

It was my pleasure to have been asked to play a role in the restoration of this historically significant razor. What a joy it was to work with Cap and Ken on this project. My thanks to both of my teammates!

A memorable project, for sure. Ken's authorship of this incredible human interest story is a fine piece of writing. It has touched the souls of readers - as it should.

The Katrina Razor serves as a symbol of what can be done if people come together to help one another. This project was, on a microscopic scale - of course, a small representation of the trials-and-tribulations that the citizens of NOLA faced after this devastating natural disaster - and a true testament of how, collectively, there is always the opportunity to come out of a trying situation in better shape than before.

The Katrina Razor serves as a symbol of what can be done if people come together to help one another. This project was, on a microscopic scale - of course, a small representation of the trials-and-tribulations that the citizens of NOLA faced after this devastating natural disaster - and a true testament of how, collectively, there is always the opportunity to come out of a trying situation in better shape than before.

Well said Chris.

Incredible job! And a great story.

As for Hurricane Katrina, we did write a cheque. But my American wife actually went to volunteer there doing animal relief work about six months after the storm. We already had two beagles (father and son) and my wife found this tough, emaciated little female beagle suffering from heart worm, with mild congestive heart failure. So we adopted her and brought her to Canada. She was incredibly sick and the vet here in Canada wasn't sure that she'd survive the treatment. But we gave her a shot, and she did well. And she's still thriving nine years later.

Meet Daisy Katrina:

Thanks to both you and your wife. Her story of coming down here to do animal relief work reminds me of an adventure my neighbor had doing the same thing.

Shortly after the storm there was a huge effort made to save trapped animals. Unfortunately, like with everything else, there was very little organization. When my neighbor volunteered to help the ASPCA or some group they simply assigned him a section of the city where he was told to kick down doors and rescue any trapped animals. No uniform, no badge, no paperwork, no phone number. Just "Go kick in doors and see if any animals are inside." So he did until, in one abandoned house while trying to persuade a kitty out from under a bed he heard from behind him the bolt of an M-16 snap. He heard a man speaking into a radio "I have a looter!"

As he stood there looking into the muzzle of a rifle being held by an American soldier. He tried to explain. But to no avail. He had no authorization or identification other than the usual driver's license. He was delivered to the military camp as a suspected looter (considered the most loathsome and despised creature to ever draw breath). He was held for a day until he lucked out and someone from animal rescue came in by chance and vouched for him.

He considered himself to be extremely lucky because all over town you'd see handmade signs with the slogan "YOU LOOT.....WE SHOOT!" and, in those lawless days my brothers, they weren't kidding.

He quit the animal rescue business the very next day.

Fortunately, things were a bit better when my wife was there six months after the storm. She went down to help in the final rush to try and get the animals that they found placed before outside groups were due to leave the area. And she was volunteering more at the centre, instead of being out on the streets. Though she and friend did go out and were shocked by the extent of the damage and how little had been done at that point.

Good to hear that NOLA is back and better than ever, as is that razor!

Wow! A story to tell..!
These gillettes are built like tanks! Excellent work by Chris and captain, kudos!

Thank you skeezixx for sharing the story with us!

Last edited:
I was born and raised right outside of the city in a little town called Westwego. We were lucky enough not to be on the flooded side of the river but everyone had to deal with the aftermath and one of the things I remember most was the smell and the flies. The smell was unlike anything you could imagine. It was a lingering rot that hung over the city for months. The rotting food, stagnant water and soaked buildings without electricity for months was absolutely heart wrenching. I worked in the restaurant business at the time and made money going around the city cleaning out the walk in deep freezers and coolers. I think the thing that stuck with me most was just the overwhelming sense of loss that everyone felt, not just the people who lost loved ones or homes, everyone in the city felt lost and scared. This coupled with the non-stop barrage of media saying that the city would never rise up and people everywhere saying that we were our own problem. This razor brings it in to a smaller vantage point, I just returned from a trip home and like this razor the city is not only back but more vibrant and colorful than ever, the smell of amazing food has long replaced the stench of Katrina and the sounds of jazz have replaced the sound of silence and the hammering of roofs. I am and always will be proud to call New Orleans home. Thank everyone that had a part in the restoration effort of this razor and thank you Skeezixx for holding on to this piece of our history for so long.

I was born and raised right outside of the city in a little town called Westwego. We were lucky enough not to be on the flooded side of the river but everyone had to deal with the aftermath and one of the things I remember most was the smell and the flies. The smell was unlike anything you could imagine. It was a lingering rot that hung over the city for months. The rotting food, stagnant water and soaked buildings without electricity for months was absolutely heart wrenching. I worked in the restaurant business at the time and made money going around the city cleaning out the walk in deep freezers and coolers. I think the thing that stuck with me most was just the overwhelming sense of loss that everyone felt, not just the people who lost loved ones or homes, everyone in the city felt lost and scared. This coupled with the non-stop barrage of media saying that the city would never rise up and people everywhere saying that we were our own problem. This razor brings it in to a smaller vantage point, I just returned from a trip home and like this razor the city is not only back but more vibrant and colorful than ever, the smell of amazing food has long replaced the stench of Katrina and the sounds of jazz have replaced the sound of silence and the hammering of roofs. I am and always will be proud to call New Orleans home. Thank everyone that had a part in the restoration effort of this razor and thank you Skeezixx for holding on to this piece of our history for so long.

I find it difficult to describe the smell you mention to "outlanders." It was a smell of putrefaction that hung in the air everywhere you went. It wasn't dead bodies which is everyone's first assumption, it was, as you mentioned, all those deep freezers in all the houses that lost power for so long in the summer heat. And, of course, everyone was storing seafood. I think you just had to be there to relate. It's a smell we survivors identify with Katrina.

Another phenomena I'm sure you will remember is the color. When you passed the 17th Street canal from Metairie into Lakeview it was as if you were on a different planet. Everything, the houses, the trees, the swamped cars, etc. were all the same shade of dull gray. Everything was covered in gray mud.

It seems unreal to recall these things when I drive around and see the vibrant and thriving "City That Care Forgot" once more proudly earning it's status as the second most visited city in the US.

Thanks for the info! I spent two hours last month talking to the owner of that place in his shop..very nice, talented gentlemen. Especially impressed with his Scrimshaw. Did not dawn on me to call him back on this.

Thanks for the compliment. I am that fellow. Another fellow, also a member here, was in my shop yesterday and mentioned your post. I may be able to help. Not all at once mind you, but maybe a few at a time. The razors are an after hours thing for me. Can send an email from any page on the website. Didn't realize we had so many members so close to N.O. We had been evacuating for years. Couple of nights in a motel in Jackson or Meridian, and back home to everything as we left it. Decided Sat night Meridian was not far enough for this one. We went to a sons home in Chattanooga, 300 miles further North, and knew we would not be headed home in 2 days. All of the response from across the country and beyond is probably the best story of Katrina, but there are 1,000's of stories. Not something any of us will forget. Thanks and appreciation to all of those who contributed to this story.

Top Bottom