What's new

Gillette NDC Bottom Dial 1-5

Great pick up.

I vote option #2 has the value of razor, and your wish just to display it, I would only clean and polish it.
Any attempt to disassembly of it or even being sent out for replating, could lead to problems. I would only send it out for replate if there was someone local and I trusted to do it.

Great Find Glenn! I would go with #1 if you were ever to go to an auction house for selling it down the road. They will always say Keep it all orig! Glenn does this wrap up the awesome razors you have? I figure from some of your posts you have the super rare 1-5 serial toggle, the 1-5 bottom dial and the 1-9 cased bottom dial. and the ultra rare nickle toggle cased?

Great Find Glenn! I would go with #1 if you were ever to go to an auction house for selling it down the road. They will always say Keep it all orig! Glenn does this wrap up the awesome razors you have? I figure from some of your posts you have the super rare 1-5 serial toggle, the 1-5 bottom dial and the 1-9 cased bottom dial. and the ultra rare nickle toggle cased?

This completes my collection of Gillette Adjustables. I essentially now have at least one of all the different models. This is the core of my collection. But I can still upgrade the condition of the examples I have by swapping out when I find new ones in better condition.

Here is a pic from Mr Razor's site that I used as a guide to find what I wanted:

View attachment 488983

The above pic does not include a Serial Toggle, 1-5 Bottom Dial and a diamond cross cut SA.

View attachment 488984

Last edited:
I go for option 6.

6) wait till it arrives and carefully assess condition

If the black on the dial really is paint it may come off and the rest could be cleaned and given a light polish and be authentic and in good condition.

The paint in the numbers is obviously gone but given the rarity I would start with the least intrusive option. Replating to my mind is for more common razors.

+1 Slow and easy......

Cool pic Glenn of all the razors. I love the serial toggle and the Nickel toggle the best of all. There just plain cool looking to me. The bottom dial is very unique as well. I figure that Gillette tested the 1-5 and then put out on a limited basis the 1-9 and made it with brass then nickel plated vs aluminum. Glenn would love to see a pic of your collection..you have some awesome razors that's for sure. Also whats your favorite as far a razor and presentation boxes?

Thanks again for the input. I am due to receive the razor on Tuesday Sept 2 but it may get here Saturday if I am lucky. I will definitely be careful about anything I do to the razor. Busting it or botching it up would be a tragedy.

I believe the adjuster knob was black from the factory and the numbers may have been inlaid with white paint. It is hard to tell from the photos. But I will know for sure when I can examine the razor. I think I have just about ruled out any replating of it. Wish me luck that slight polish will restore the silo doors. I am siding with a cleaning but still am considering restoring the paint but am not sure. I am also more hesitant now to disassemble the razor after hearing from you guys. There is the problem with no "click" at adjustment "1", but a good soak may solve that without disassembly.

Glenn would love to see a pic of your collection..you have some awesome razors that's for sure. Also whats your favorite as far a razor and presentation boxes?

If you want you can check out the "Images" associated with my profile. A good number are pictured there. Up until now my favorite was the 1-5 Serial Toggle that I own. I also like my 1949 Gillette Executive too.

$L1020755.jpg

$1949GilletteExecutive1.jpg$1949GilletteExecutive2.jpg

I was hoping that was you that got it. Congrats on obtaining both 5 speeds. I agree that it should not be replated. I think it would be fine to polish off the black on the adjuster though. It should clean up well, but even if it has a few flaws, it's still a collector's dream.

I was hoping that was you that got it. Congrats on obtaining both 5 speeds. I agree that it should not be replated. I think it would be fine to polish off the black on the adjuster though. It should clean up well, but even if it has a few flaws, it's still a collector's dream.

Thanks for the good wishes stromberg. I have decided against any replating. But I am thinking of cleaning off the black paint on the adjuster knob and reapplying it. I want to put it back to its original configuration and not necessarily make it look like Tom's razor. I believe the numbers were originally inlaid with white paint on the black knob but I won't know until I see it.

So it's due to arrive today! It is coming signature required so I'm pinned to the house all day because I never know when my mailman is going to come. If I miss it today I won't be able to get it until Tuesday. Small sacrifice.

Congratulations. Rarely seen and immensely enjoyed. We'll all want to see photos when it arrives. Great score!

I just received my razor. The seller shipped it to me at his expense and insured it. Total freight $43. The seller was a total class act. I have to apologize for my photos.

$L1020786.jpg$L1020788.jpg$L1020789.jpg

But you can tell that the numbers are indeed white so the adjuster knob was most definitely black as the seller, the original owner, has stated. The TTO is sort of rough in spots not smooth and there is calcified soap down the throat. The adjuster goes through 5.0 - 4.5 - 4.0 etc to 1.5 but is challenged at 1.0. And I'm not going to force anything. There is no plating loss so it should polish. There doesn't seem to be any major problems that a cleaning won't fix. I am definitely pleased.

Congratulations on the score. I'm glad there is no plate loss so a quick clean, polish and repaint should make it like new again.

That's cool, Glenn. Don't forget to post pics once you clean and polish it!

Hi Edgar, after much thought I have decided that the best man to rework my 1-5 Bottom Dial is Captain Murphy. I will be sending it to him next week and I'm sure he will be posting before (yuk) pictures and after (beautifully clean) pictures. I am not having him paint any of the parts as I want them as original as possible. But, I feel that the razor will need some/total disassembly to properly clean it to make it work properly again. I am leaving the razor in his most capable hands. Captain Murphy and I have been in talking back and forth and he is GREAT for doing this for me. He is certainly a gentleman. My hat's off to him.

Hi Edgar, after much thought I have decided that the best man to rework my 1-5 Bottom Dial is Captain Murphy. I will be sending it to him next week and I'm sure he will be posting before (yuk) pictures and after (beautifully clean) pictures. I am not having him paint any of the parts as I want them as original as possible. But, I feel that the razor will need some/total disassembly to properly clean it to make it work properly again. I am leaving the razor in his most capable hands. Captain Murphy and I have been in talking back and forth and he is GREAT for doing this for me. He is certainly a gentleman. My hat's off to him.

Excellent decision! I am sure Cpt Murphy will do a brilliant job! :thumbup1: I'll be keeping an eye on his thread, it will be interesting to watch the progress.

Top Bottom