What's new

Gillette NDC Bottom Dial 1-5

Well I am the proud owner of a 1-5 Bottom Dial. I just won it on ebay. I've been waiting for one for years and I can't believe I just got one. I would have hoped for better condition but it will definitely do.

$5 Bottom1.jpg$5 Bottom2.jpg$5 Bottom3.jpg$5 Bottom5.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-G...d1BzQ%2B8pGmATzPeSF50%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Very nice!
I didn't even see that one on the 'Bay. How did I miss it? I guess my eye is trained to find OC razors ...

Congrats. Was watching that too, mainly to see what it would go for. Was out of my range buy the time it hit a grand.

Fabulous razor. As a collector (books, not razors,) I know the pleasure of the hunt and that thrill when you finally Get It. Congratulations.

Thanks all. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the razor. Any help or suggestions are sincerely appreciated. It seems my options are as follows:

1) Leave it as is.
2) Clean it and polish it.
3) Clean it, repaint it and polish it.
4) Disassemble it, clean it, repaint it and polish it.
Or finally,
5) Disassemble it, clean it, replate the nickel parts, repaint it and polish it.

Again considering its value and condition what is the best way to preserve the razor for display (I have plenty of other razors to shave with)?

I go for option 6.

6) wait till it arrives and carefully assess condition

If the black on the dial really is paint it may come off and the rest could be cleaned and given a light polish and be authentic and in good condition.

The paint in the numbers is obviously gone but given the rarity I would start with the least intrusive option. Replating to my mind is for more common razors.

It's a rare antique. Unless it needs repairs to avoid further deterioration, I'd suggest option 1. Leave it original and enjoy the amazingly rare razor.

Congrats!!!

Top Bottom