What's new

Fine Aftershaves - are you kidding?

I would like to try me some Fine AS, but I am concerned that the ingredients don't seem to offer any healing/moisturizing properties. Maybe it would help if I add some glycerin?

I don't find the lack of glycerine to be an issue but you can certainly add it or even an unscented AS balm if you like. It's your face and you should experiment to find what works best for you. Personally, if I am going to use this as a fragrance rather than just an AS then I will use a short lived AS like Pinaud Eau de Portugal or Thayer's Peach and then apply this as a fragrance after it fades.

I have a lot of Fine AS and I started mixing in some Thayers Unscented for some healing. It never overpowers and maintains that awesome Fine smell.
I do the same thing with my aftershaves. Make a little 50/50 mix in an atomizer, not because they aren't already healing, but because I'm a cheap bastard :)

I would like to try me some Fine AS, but I am concerned that the ingredients don't seem to offer any healing/moisturizing properties. Maybe it would help if I add some glycerin?

I add glycerin to every aftershave that doesn't already have it. I usually add 1 drop per 1oz. of aftershave; you might want to start with 1 drop per 2oz., then go from there.

Makes the "dry and tight" feeling of some aftershaves turn into "soft and supple."

You might like the Stirling aftershave splashes. They have witch hazel, aloe, and glycerin.

Great, I only had the Clean Vetiver but now I just order Platinum and L'Orange Noir! ASAD strikes again! Good thing it was in August!:lol:

I am a big fan of the older guerlain formulation...what about the longevity of the Clean Vetiver?

thanks

tam

I want to find where he gets his ysl rive gauche sent from. The supplier he's mentioned (save on scents) only has women's.

I have the sample pack of the higher menthol formula. My girlfriend was here and she applied some of the clean and fresh vetivers to different arms. She preferred one over the other but I don't remember which is which. Now she wants to take a whiff of the Tom Ford Grey Vetiver to compare all three.

I have the sample pack of the higher menthol formula. My girlfriend was here and she applied some of the clean and fresh vetivers to different arms. She preferred one over the other but I don't remember which is which. Now she wants to take a whiff of the Tom Ford Grey Vetiver to compare all three.

Fresh Vetiver is a copy of Tom Ford

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
My interest is piqued. I hadn't really looked at these before. I'm using Captain's Choice right now which contains a similar small number of ingredients, however it also contains witch hazel. Fine is similar in make up but with menthol and not witch hazel. Do they perform similarly? How is the post shave feel if one is prone to dry skin? Does menthol help nourish the skin and help it recover like witch hazel does?

I tried the Fresh Vetiver, sold it immediately. It was like mentholated white lightning that overdosed on cheap perfume.

My interest is piqued. I hadn't really looked at these before. I'm using Captain's Choice right now which contains a similar small number of ingredients, however it also contains witch hazel. Fine is similar in make up but with menthol and not witch hazel. Do they perform similarly? How is the post shave feel if one is prone to dry skin? Does menthol help nourish the skin and help it recover like witch hazel does?

On my face the Captain's Choice has a better post shave feel. But I am not prone to dry skin, oily if anything, so that might make a difference.

I add glycerin to every aftershave that doesn't already have it. I usually add 1 drop per 1oz. of aftershave; you might want to start with 1 drop per 2oz., then go from there.

Makes the "dry and tight" feeling of some aftershaves turn into "soft and supple."

You might like the Stirling aftershave splashes. They have witch hazel, aloe, and glycerin.

Never heard of this before, might have to give it a try!

I did this the other day with my Windsor, Arlington, and TOBS Shave Shop aftershaves. It worked like an absolute charm.

Top Bottom