What's new

Well, that was weird

I have been using my Levenger pen for a couple days. This thing is built like a stainless steel tank.

I kept hearing something rattling on the pen. It has a lot of parts that screw on with threads, so I kept re-tightening them all, but never found anything loose. Then I opened the pen cap last night and got ink all over my hands. When I disassembled it, I found that the cartridge converter had come out of its socket. This is what was rattling. remarkably, the pen had continued to write well the entire time, essentially using the entire barrel as an ink reservoir. Finally, the ink managed to seep out of the threads between the barrel and the nib assembly (terminology?).

I've never had that happen on a pen before!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That is weird, and good it didn't leak enough to ruin anything like clothing.

Make sure it fits tightly enough when you re-install it.

Sounds like it wanted to convert itself to an eyedropper pen, similar to how platinum preppy pens are converted. With an O ring, and some silicone grease you potentially could skip using the cartridge and fill the whole pen up with any ink of your choice...

Last edited by a moderator:
You could eyedropper it, but if it's a metal-bodied pen (or has internal metal parts that would be in contact with the ink), you're likely to eventually get corrosion, rust, rot, and/or ink contamination. Stick with the cartridge or converter. The pens that I have successfully eye-droppered have all-plastic/acrylic/ebonite bodies.

You could eyedropper it, but if it's a metal-bodied pen (or has internal metal parts that would be in contact with the ink), you're likely to eventually get corrosion, rust, rot, and/or ink contamination. Stick with the cartridge or converter. The pens that I have successfully eye-droppered have all-plastic/acrylic/ebonite bodies.
Darn, I didn't think of that. Learned something new ^_^

Hopefully, it was just a one-time thing. The converter seems to seat okay. If it happens again, I'll order a new converter. I'm just surprised by how long it took to leak!

I have not had that happen and I have the same pen, except I call the little rubber thingy a Surface stylus (can't stand Ipads)

Top Bottom