What's new

Fixing a keyfob for a '97 BMW 740i

This car is a process. The car be exhilarating when it performs as intended or it can drive you bananas when things fail.
So far the former has exceeded the latter so we continue on down the road. :thumbup1:

Sounds like a BMW :lol: My grandfather was a big BMW fan. He drove a white 3 series up until he was no longer able to drive. He hated Mercedes too :biggrin:

This car is a process. The car be exhilarating when it performs as intended or it can drive you bananas when things fail.
So far the former has exceeded the latter so we continue on down the road. :thumbup1:

I feel you on that. My E36 is a blast to drive! Ive had it for 9 years now and still love driving it. I love the E38's. They are awesome cars. I have my eye on bringing over an Alpina B12 6L from Japan in the next few years.

Engine bay looks great:001_smile I have always loved BMW's, I had an old E30 320i many years ago when I was a lot younger, did the whole youngster thing with a loud exhaust, lots of speakers etc:biggrin1: Me and my friends had some great road trips in that car.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Thanks. After cleaning my car yesterday, this morning I took a look under the hood of our 2005 Volvo XC90 which has 164,000 miles on it. And guess what? It needed a cleaning worse than my car, sooooo...

BEFORE: (I mean, seriously. Just shy of 10 years of grit and grime. :rolleyes:)

full

full

AFTER:

full

full

HAPPY MOTORING! :biggrin:

Next job: I just ordered some trunk struts for the BMW. The current ones are shot. When you lift the trunk it feels like its a hundred pounds. Hopefully, with the new struts, it will be light as a feather. :yesnod:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job on the Volvo. It looks like new.

When my father was stationed in Germany, he wanted a BMW, but there was a very long wait list, so he ended up getting a Volvo sedan. Great car, until my mother forced him to sell it and buy a minivan :lol:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
And the repairs continue... Installed the new trunk struts today. The previous struts were spent and the trunk lid felt like a ton to lift.

Old and New
full

Passenger Side - Before
full

Passenger Side - After
full

Driver Side - After
full

The new trunk struts are great. I can now lift the trunk lid with one finger. Now I don't need Hans and Franz to lift the trunk lid. :biggrin:

full

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Besides fixing my car, I can also fix a traditional Italian Sunday dinner... :biggrin:

full

Next repair: I have ordered a used window master switch from the Bay and intend to replace my current one. I better start reading up on how to do it. Hopefully, I won't lock myself inside the car again. :wink:

Besides fixing my car, I can also fix a traditional Italian Sunday dinner... :biggrin:

Next repair: I have ordered a used window master switch from the Bay and intend to replace my current one. I better start reading up on how to do it. Hopefully, I won't lock myself inside the car again. :wink:

A true Renaissance man!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Today, I replaced the Master Window Switch using some pry tools that I just purchased from Prylon for about $15. I actually used the last two thin-handled pry tools pictured here.
full

The part I replaced cost $257.00 brand new from most BMW retailers. I bought a used one for $24 off eBay.

After removing from door. Note the window lock button is broken off and it did not work.

full

The unit turned on its side to reveal the plugs....

full

There are three plugs that need to be disconnected...

full

The master switch then slides right back into the door...

full

Compare the old and the new (less old :wink: )

full

and for your nighttime viewing pleasure. :biggrin:

full

The window lock mechanism now works (as well as being aesthetically pleasing.) The pry tools (or something similar) are really necessary. If you notice the lip that surrounds the opening where the switch goes, if you bend or damage it, then the switch will no longer sit flush in the armrest. So it is important to be able to remove the switch without damaging that lip. The pry tools really did the trick. I actually ordered those after receiving the switch as I did not want to take any chances and it was well worth it. I'm sure those pry tools will come in handy for many other interior jobs such as removing trim and door panels, amongst other things.

So, after reading a couple of tutorials, spending less than $40 for the part and the pry tools, and expending all of 20 minutes of actual labor, I got a new window switch (less old :rolleyes:) and saved well over $300 in parts and labor if I had an independent garage or the dealer make this repair. (I was told by one mechanic that the whole door panel had to be removed which of course, it does not have to removed at all.)

That leaves more money for...

full

:a17:

Next... I'm gonna need some license plate brackets. :yesnod:

Thanks. So far so good on the regulator. (now I'm going to be afraid to use the windows. :biggrin: )
I have replaced 3 window regulators on a VW of similar vintage and have heard rumblings from BMW owners. I was beginning to wonder if maybe these companies sourced plastic from the same supplier. I certainly hope you have good luck with your regulators and don't ever have to drive around with duck tape holding up the window glass while waiting for parts.

Top Bottom