What's new

Removal of steps

In an effort to make my shaving a little more time-friendly, I have cut out a couple of steps. I was, after shaving, rinsing with hot and the cold water, applying witch hazel and then aftershave splash. I now go straight to hot water rinse and aftershave. I don't think I've really noticed much of a difference. My face doesn't feel any different, but I do notice I maybe have gotten some more irritation. Would that likely be from skipping the cold water rinse? I changed blades from feather to Gillette Silver Blues to see if that helps some. Also, does anyone just do a cold water rinse instead of warm water rinse?

My final rinse is always with cold water. I'd say try it, as it's easy to see if that's the problem.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I shower, shave WTG and XTG, cold water rinse, then aftershave splash.
I have tried hot towels, preshave oils and creams, post shave balms, witchhazel and various other products, but found this works best for me.
As always....YMMV. :001_smile

I think I have a pretty minimalistic and quick shaving routine:

Shower
Face lather with shave stick
Two passes
Cold water rinse
Towel dry
Aftershave
Clean brush, sink, and razor

The whole routine, shower included, maybe takes me 15 minutes?

I prefer an initial rinse with hot water to attempt to make sure any soap or debris gets rinsed clear before my pores close with the cold water rinse. I then go to the cold water rinse. The difference of doing both is only a few seconds...

I prefer an initial rinse with hot water to attempt to make sure any soap or debris gets rinsed clear before my pores close with the cold water rinse. I then go to the cold water rinse. The difference of doing both is only a few seconds...

In 32 years, I have never done a hot water rinse, and my skin is still doing fine ... however, it won't hurt of course (and I suspect that I have pretty tough skin anyway).

Same here. When I first started wet shaving, I saw Mantic and GeoFatboy do this after their shaves on their beginner vids and I've done it ever since. But if I had to eliminate one rinse, I guess it'd be the hot water rinse. But it really is a matter of seconds.

Pores do not close, so a warm water rinse is not necessary, but if you like it that way, then do what you like. YMMV, remember.

Same here. When I first started wet shaving, I saw Mantic and GeoFatboy do this after their shaves on their beginner vids and I've done it ever since. But if I had to eliminate one rinse, I guess it'd be the hot water rinse. But it really is a matter of seconds.

I appreciate that Mantic has attracted many new wet shavers. But I think he likes to make things way too complicated. It's just a shave.

I think that I learned more from watching my granddad lather and shave than from those "a bit over the top" videos. Personal opinion, of course.

That's what I do. Shave, rinse in hot water, dry off then apply AS. Seems to work pretty well.

In an effort to make my shaving a little more time-friendly, I have cut out a couple of steps. I was, after shaving, rinsing with hot and the cold water, applying witch hazel and then aftershave splash. I now go straight to hot water rinse and aftershave. I don't think I've really noticed much of a difference. My face doesn't feel any different, but I do notice I maybe have gotten some more irritation. Would that likely be from skipping the cold water rinse? I changed blades from feather to Gillette Silver Blues to see if that helps some. Also, does anyone just do a cold water rinse instead of warm water rinse?

Step 1: Hot water on face
Step 2: Wash / Face Lather face with Ivory Soap
Step 3: Hot water rinse
Step 4: Face Lather with Shaving Soap
Step 5: Hot shower and wash face with Ivory Soap
Step 6: Dry off
Step 7: Apply Aftershave

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I learned from reading B&B and then doing exactly what I wanted to do anyway.

Cold water rinse at the end is the way I do it. Just feels good. I like a shower before a shave, and also a warm water rinse for the razor, so the razor is somewhat heated as I shave. A cold water rinse at the end really cools my face down.

shower
lather
2 passes
cold rinse
aftershave
badda bing
badda boom

I appreciate that Mantic has attracted many new wet shavers. But I think he likes to make things way too complicated. It's just a shave.

I think that I learned more from watching my granddad lather and shave than from those "a bit over the top" videos. Personal opinion, of course.

Cant argue there. My routine is much simpler than some of the more elaborate routines. I just really like how the cold water feels on my face after shaving.

Pores do not have muscles, they are incapable of opening and closing.

Obviously we're not talking about muscles opening and closing a pore as if it's a sphincter. What we're referring to is that cold water, alum, alcohol, and other astringents shrink your skin tissue, which has some effect of making the pore opening smaller. I like to rinse off soap and grime prior to using an astringent, to help prevent it from being trapped when the astringent does its job.

I think that as you keep wet shaving your routine will change from time to time. You'll find different or better ways of doing things, and I'm sure you'll find that some things just don't need to be done anymore. Keeps things interesting, and keeps you from getting bored with your routine.

Top Bottom