What's new

Advantages of going to larger brush

Any advantages of going to larger badger. I currently use a Simpson Berkley and was thinking about upgrading to a large size perhaps a Duke.

Please keep in mind I religiously use an Old Spice Shave mug and face lather.

I dont like a brush over 24mm. It gets way to messy. That being said I do own one 26mm that I will not get rid of but if I did it again I would have went with a 24mm. A large brush does cover faster. I would only go large if I was a head shaver. Well that or leg shaver but that is not going to happen

I don't see the purpose of a huge brush... It makes it harder to control the lather. My 27mm boar is too big for my tastes... Have 21mm badger and 21mm synthetic that are perfect.

Already mentioned above but face feel, coverage and I find that mine builds lather faster. I have no problems with control or mess with my 28mm but as with anything around here, YMMV, so you really just have to try and see for yourself.

I use nothing BUT large brushes. I have one that's 26mm, but the other six are all over 30mm. I am a big guy with big hands, so the larger handles of big brushes are more comfortable for me. In addition, I like the lush feeling of having (almost) my entire face painted with each stroke.

The downside is that they require more soap/cream and take a bit longer to load. With my densest brushes, it's difficult to build a really thick lather using soap.

Oh - and I think they look really cool!

The size of the knot at the hole, and the bloom are two different things. Some brushes don't bloom much and can go bigger without having the big face feel.

I face lather too and love a large brush. I have two 26mm New Forest badgers, a 25mm Muhle STF and an Omega 49 which I believe is 27mm. For me the advantages are a more luxurious face feel, and because I shave my head the extra lather holding and coverage is a bonus. A nice big brush loaded with MWF is a joyous thing.

Any advantages of going to larger badger. I currently use a Simpson Berkley and was thinking about upgrading to a large size perhaps a Duke.

Please keep in mind I religiously use an Old Spice Shave mug and face lather.

My first brush was a Duke 2 in Best. Fantastic brush! I primarily face lather, but use a bowl on occasion. The Duke 2 is great for soaps (MWF/Cella) and creams (Proraso). It has plenty of backbone, a nice soft feel on the face and lathers like crazy. Just a fantastic medium sized brush that can be used everyday. I even use it as my travel brush.

I recently added a Chubby 2 and Berkeley 46 (both in Best) to the lineup. I won't go into too much detail on the Berkeley 46, other to say that it is a fantastic brush for both face and bowl lathering. It works well with soaps and creams and is the perfect change up to my Duke 2.

Now the Chubby 2 is simply a monster, but in a great way! It has the most wonderful, luxurious face feel of any of my brushes. It has plenty of backbone for a hard soap, but works just as well with a cream. I have used it in a bowl with Proraso and had no problem with the handle being too short, allowing soap to run up/down my hand. It's big, but not too big. It feels fantastic on the face. The Chubby 2 does chew up some software, so be prepared to spend a little extra on your soaps/creams if you use it everyday. I have decided that the Chubby 2 will become my weekend/special occasion brush. I could easily add it to my M-F rotation, but I feel this brush is simply too luxurious to use too often. When I reach for it, I want to relish that pampered feeling it provides.

My suggestion to you would be to take a look at the Duke 2 or 3 in Best Badger. Someone here on B&B referred to the Duke Family in Best as, "a work horse family of brushes." I concur as I feel they are the right medium sized brushes to use for any purpose be it face lathering or using a bowl to whip up your favorite soap or cream. I don't think you can go wrong with either model.

One more thing and that is all of my Simpsons are in Best Badger; I simply can't see how Super Badger could be that much better to warrant the large price difference. Basically what I am saying is this: if you are set on another Simpsons, I think any of the models in Best would work well for your needs.

Good luck in your search.

it's just awesome to use something like a 30mm knot brush to face lather!
of course, it's a little messy, but what fun!
that's why bathrooms have tile counters!!
proxy.php

Personally I see no reason to have anything bigger or better than my Bambino. It works well, feels good, and when I use my other Omega (a 24mm ) I find I just get into wasting lather.

If you only face lather and your head not as big as a pumpkin, then don't get a bigger shaving brush than 20 mm - 22 mm, max 24 mm.

Larger badger brushes hold lots of water. If you're a scuttle user, you will have huge amounts of warm lather available for a three pass shave.

The iconic Chubby 1 may be a nice complement to that Berkley as it has a denser knot which translates to somewhat more load capacity and more substantial face feel without being unwieldy.

I just got a bigger-than-I'm-used-to Shavemac Finest, and the first difference I feel over my little TGN is the sheer density and luxurious face feel of the knot.
I found my first face lather with it to be much much easier and less messy than using the TGN because the little knot can only just hold enough lather for a three pass shave. The big Shavemac held it with ease, released with ease and didn't necessarily use any more product than the TGN would have.

I dont like a brush over 24mm. It gets way to messy. That being said I do own one 26mm that I will not get rid of but if I did it again I would have went with a 24mm. A large brush does cover faster. I would only go large if I was a head shaver. Well that or leg shaver but that is not going to happen
Same here. Larger than 24mm is a waste of lather and a mess-fest.
I have a 20mm silvertip and it's a stellar performer. Smaller can be better.

Top Bottom