What's new

Butane

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Gents,
What kind of butane do you like in your lighters? I've always used the cheap Ronson butane without any problems, but I hear about folks having problems with cheap butane and recommending the Xikar Premium or the Vector 5x refined. Are the more expensive butanes really "better" and am I asking for trouble using good old Ronson in my lighters?
Thanks.

I equate it to liquor. Everything will get the job done. It's just up to you and your palate if you notice a difference between the varieties. I've never heard of technical issues with using Ronson, just that guys like the other ones because they don't have an "aftertaste", which I've never personally experienced. Other than that, it is also up to your wallet which one you want to use.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
With as much as I spend on tobacco and accessories, I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks on the good stuff that actually lights the fire.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I don't really care about the cost of "premium" butane, it's just that I have a new lighter being delivered today and I already have Ronson and want to spark it up right away instead of waiting to buy different butane. But also don't want to clog it up with "dirty" butane. Not good at delaying gratification!!!

I wonder how much difference there is in butane fuels? Ronson makes some decent lighters themselves and I doubt they would sell butane that would mess up a lighter.

I use Newport to avoid any flavor imparted by any amount. I find this brand to be exceptional for being clean and reasonably priced depending on where purchased.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Almost everyone on any pipe or cigar forum has heard that Ronson brand butane is junk and that it will ruin the jet in your lighters. However, lighters are notorious for crapping out for any number of reasons, and I realized I have never actually heard of anyone who can definitively blame Ronson fuel for the early demise of their lighter. After looking for spec sheets on the filtration, or any manufacturing of the Ronson Butane I found out that Ronson's lighter and fuel division was bought by Zippo in 2010, and that on the website Zippo has this gem

Where can I find Zippo brand butane fuel?

We recommend Zippo Premium Butane Fuel. It’s easy to spot in stores – just look for the blue cap on the butane can. If you cannot find Zippo Premium Butane, Ronson butane fuel sold in the U.S.A., Canada, and Mexico is equivalent. If neither is available then use other premium grade butane. But be careful, there is a lot of low quality butane fuel in the marketplace. We have received complaints from consumers about some brands of butane fuel affecting the performance of their BLU lighter. After investigation, Zippo determined that some imported butane fuels contain very high pressure fuel or contaminants that could cause malfunction or permanent damage to the BLU® lighter. The use of non-premium butane will result in poor performance, could damage your Zippo BLU® lighter and could void the guarantee.
http://www.zippo.com/customercare/article.aspx?id=1790

Soooo, I guess it's fine.

This is a good read. I've been wondering the same thing. I ordered a butane insert for my B&B Zippo, and had lighters direct told me it was going to arrive empty, I would have ordered butane with it. The insert says to not use Ronson butane, but I can't find anything else locally.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Xikar recommends their fluid, and it isn't that much more expensive. They offer a no questions asked lifetime warranty on their lighters, so I use what they suggest.

Xikar recommends their fluid, and it isn't that much more expensive. They offer a no questions asked lifetime warranty on their lighters, so I use what they suggest.
Same, and the bottles are huge.

I swapped out one Xikar Pipeline already that wouldnt light. I attributed it to the Ronson I was using, since the shop owner blamed it and also gave me a free bottle of Xikar butane. I have no evidence that it was the cause though.

I have a Vector that does not work well with whatever it is charged with. My Xikar, on the other hand, has always ignited. Usually I use a triple refined by a company named King. My local tobacco shop said most butane lighters have spark problems caused by the quartz ignition. He said you can drop a lighter once and the crystal is done.

I've used various brands with no issues in my Old Boy and other lighters, but I only get ones that claim at least 4x refined, and usually find a 5x. I have had lighters go south using ronson fuel.

Top Bottom