What's new

Muehle R41 quality ?

Hello,

I like to shave with a DE. My first one was a Merkur 34C and I loved it.

Four years later I wanted to try another one so I bought a Muehle R41. The screw thread broke after 6 months. I bought a new R41 right after. Now the chrome plating is cracking more and more on the new one.

Is the Muehle R41 bad quality product or is it because of me ? I clean/dry my DE after each use.

Thanks

Muhle has one of the best finishes, if not the best of them all. It is certainly not common hearing about Muhle plating issues. Merkur on the other hand ...

I am sure they would have replaced the first razor, and you should contact them,and send pictures of the damaged plating.

Also, if you could post them here would be great.

I'm starting to notice a little plating degradation on my R89 and I've been very careful with its storage ever since. It's possible you're being a little rough with your equipment but for $60+ (depending on where you buy them) you should expect something to last longer than 6 months of daily use.

I think the general consensus is that Muhle produces a good product but the materials used in production are sub-par compared to the razors of the old days.

I'd just be a little more gentle with your razors if you can and maybe store them in a spot where there's little risk of taking falls from the counter.

Good luck, sir!

I had the top cap plating dull quite a bit on my 2014 R41. After a few back and forths with Muhle it was determine the dulling had nothing to do with my care and they sent me a new top cap which so far has held up. I do fear that the plating will fail again but it's provides such a great shave I guess I'd just buy another one at that time.

I have a R41 and I havnt had any plating problems but I have only ever owned this Muhle razor. I did have lkating issues with a Merkur which I promtly contacted the vendor and got it replaced.
So I would suggest contacting either the vendor or Muhle themselves and Im sure they will be happy to help.

Well I bought my R41 in March. Since then I probably shaved around 30-35 times with it. After shave 10 I saw a brown dot on the comb. Yesterday I saw 4 nicks on the bullets that are on the top plate - the plating is gone. I think I should contact the vendor (or even Muhle). I pamper all my razors like they are made of glass. Never dropped the R41. So, benoitd, you are NOT alone.

Last edited:
Picture. You think the seller will replace it ? I bought it on www.connaughtshaving.com

$IMG_1158.JPG

Peter Mayhew from Connaughtshaving.com is going to send me a replacement top cap. Thanks to him.

I recommend this website.

I purchased a Muhle R89 Jet, and noticed after inspecting it (which sadly was months later than I purchased it), there were some serious issues underneath the top cap - flaking and some overall degradation, although the blade seemed to load well. I still haven't used it. I sent a note to Christian and the US Muhle distributor, although I wouldn't expect them to be able (or willing) to replace it, given that it is a limited edition.

I've owned three R41s (2 2011 versions and 1 2013 version) without any noticeable issues, but I was disappointed that a "limited run" wouldn't mandate better QA.

Todd

Not the same problem as the OP's..
Several months ago i received a defective muhle r41 (uneven blade exposure) , I contacted muhle with pictures and they replied promising me that they'll replace the head and asking for my address. I immediately sent it to them, but I haven't received a response since. I sent mails several times after that.. But no response from them.
It is very disappointing when a company doesn't stand behind its products!

Just a quick update on the issue with the loss of plating on my R41. I contacted Peter Mayhew at connaughts and received a replacement head. Highly recommended!

Top Bottom