What's new

Autumn clothing - What's your style? Favorite article to wear?

Long Sleeve shirts and Vest till it time for my Members Only Jackets. Most years I don't crack out a full jacket till the 3 rd Sat in Oct .

As a New Englander, I'll throw on a long sleeve tee and shorts as long as the temperature permits. Probably my favorite, most comfortable clothing combination. Once the temp drops: flannel.
+1
Maybe it's a CT thing?
Also, on work days, it's blazers / sportcoats everyday for me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
After a summer of shorts and t-shirts and other "dang it's hot ... better wear this" clothing, it's nice to be able to wear clothing that's obviously, clearly for grown-ups, even if it just means trading shorts and sandals for jeans and Redwing boots.

I usually start wearing long sleeve button down shirts and trousers. But when it gets really cold I bust out the flannel lined jeans and the heavy jacket.

Fall is my favorite season. Love those cold nights. Light up the fireplace. Im a fan of layering. I wish I lived in a climate where I could layer year round. Cardigans, heavy button ups, light jackets, jeans...

Last edited:
For me, sweaters, flannel, jean jackets, and my new Fjallraven are going to get tons of use. Fall is absolutely my favorite season, especially here in NE.

Jeans and flannel. I picked up an American Giant hooded sweatshirt last year and I've been wearing that a lot. New boots are on order. I'll be all fixed up for the fall when it gets here. Right now we're still in the middle of fire season. The rain can't come soon enough.

Karl

I have two Carhartt jackets. A Carhartt Duck in black and a Detroit in brown that I break out this time of year.

Frank

Here in the south I could just go with a light jacket/sweatshirt over my usual t-shirt and shorts and swap the sandals for sneakers, but I'm trying go classy up my wardrobe with decent jeans and nice boots. I have a lot of nice sweaters but it is usually just too hot indoors to wear them so I go with a light jacket over a reallllly thin sweater/shirt.

During the repeated polar vorteces last year nothing I had really cut the mustard, only my heaviest car coat, thickest beanie, and most heavy weight jeans allowed me to go outside for long. Fortunately the car culture of suburban living means you only need to be exposed to the elements for 1-2 minutes max as you walk to and from your car.

Members only Jackets and some school jackets my HS sells to the staff. Casual wear is zip up hoodies and Flannel Shirts.

Fall here around the Chesapeake and surrounding tributaries usually involves a fair number of gray, drizzly days (like today). So, I finally sprung for a lighter-weight Filson waxed-cotton jacket to which I can add a zip-in wool liner as the temps start dropping. I don't do much flannel, but heavy plaid cotton plain-weave and wool scarves work well for me.

As things get colder, I had a well-worn leather shirt-collar bomber relined with a thicker layer of insulation. And I loves me my wool & cashmere-blend polo coats.

I have two sportcoats, one black and white and one olive with a bit of blue. I admit I have been looking at the kind of sport coats my dad would call horseblankets due to the large plaid patterns, but I just do not have the height not to look silly in them.

Layers. Fall in Colorado means brilliant warm sunshine piercing the cool air. Weather blows in and out, to dramatic effect, in the span of hours. When the sun hits the horizon, the temperature plummets. Dressing appropriately could mean shorts, or parkas, within the span of 24 hours. This time of year especially, we need to keep the entire arsenal at hand.

Top Bottom