What's new

Mint Ganadian Gillette No77 Set gold.

... must have been this one. Some 80 years ago. :lol:
The head in particular.
The handle does not belong to the set, but was kicking around next to the No77 head in the antique store. So I offered the owner to take them both and see if I can make a frankenrazor. $DSCN0206.jpg$DSCN0207.jpg$DSCN0208.jpg$DSCN0209.jpg$DSCN0201.jpg

Besides the crack the handle does not fit right when screwed in because the diameter is a tiny bit bigger than the bed and feels a bit sloppy. So it needs to be cut by a bit.
Here is what I mean:$DSCN0211.jpg$DSCN0212.jpg$DSCN0216.jpg$DSCN0218.jpg

this is definitely not a #77
it is a ball end NEW. there are many different sets with this razors. Oxford, berkshire, federal, regent. ist up to you, cause it depends on just the case

this is definitely not a #77
it is a ball end NEW. there are many different sets with this razors. Oxford, berkshire, federal, regent. ist up to you, cause it depends on just the case

Except the razors in those sets were made in the USA.

This head looks just like the Canadian #77. I am not sure if it came in some other case/handle combination or not.

@OP: Nice find!

Except the razors in those sets were made in the USA.

This head looks just like the Canadian #77. I am not sure if it came in some other case/handle combination or not.

@OP: Nice find!
those sets were made and dsitributed in Canada too... like in France (importet only), Germany (importet only) and UK

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You got the wrong handle for that head. Gillette made 2 (or more) sizes at the bottom of the head where you attach the handle. Back in the days, Cooncatbob fixed made his handles with a narrower fit to allow proper use of the head. You can always use it as is but keep in mind that the blade might not be rock solid.

I know it's a wrong handle. It was all pieces laying around in the cabinet's drawer in the antique store. So I suggested the owner to buy all this 5 pieces which he accepted. I payed very little of cause but I'm happy that I rescued the poor bugger. Worst case scenario if I do not do the project I can pass it along this great community.
I think I should search for a brass pipe for this repair. Where can I find such do you know?

Last edited:
I forgot to mention but it looks like the razor had been dropped and the end tooth has a little bent which you can see on the pictures. Despite that the teeth a perfectly lined up straight and this bend would not affect the performance.

It's on the top right corner of the pictures in post #2.

Last edited:
After repairing the crack, sanding down the length of the handle (hence the diameter) so it fits perfect (refer to pic. 5) and some polishing:

$DSCN0261_resize.jpg$DSCN0262_resize.jpg$DSCN0263_resize.jpg$DSCN0264_resize.jpg$DSCN0266_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!
Could use only cable ties to close the crack - about 15 of them, as I have no workshop and special tools. The good news is almost any Gillette handle should work in case this one splits. Seems rock solid so far though.

Top Bottom