What's new

Using hair dryer to dry your brush

I gather it's best to let your brush dry naturally , however I dried my Omega synthetic brush with my wife's hair dryer and it come up a treat. Any issues with doing this to all types of brushes once in a blue moon?

I use a hair dryer on my boar brushes during break-in; and occasionally to give my brush a quick dry. Synthetic bristles may be a bit trickier because the synthetic material may be more easily damaged by high heat. As another suggested, use a low-heat setting.

Last edited:
On an Omega boar, sure, no problem. But you won't catch me doing this to any of my brushes. Especially the fancier, more expensive ones.

Using a hair dryer is ok, but you must use a dehumidifier in the room first. The last thing you want is to be blowing hot, moist air on to your Franks Shaving pure badger!
According to the wiki spreadsheet, the optimal B&B standard is to leave the dehumidifier (minimum 2.5kW) on for 5 minutes per 10 foot square of the room in which you are going to dry your brush.
Whilst I understand that dehumidifiers aren't cheap, if you follow this simple guide you can expect to extend your brush's lifetime by at least 5 or 6 shaves :thumbup1:

I'm not sure how anyone managed in the old days. Maybe fairy dust?

$l_101714330_w.jpg

Bruce, make sure you've mashed the brush in boric acid and run it through an autoclave before you take that last desperate step to dry.

Bruce, make sure you've mashed the brush in boric acid and run it through an autoclave before you take that last desperate step to dry.

Thanks.

I like it to be dry in under an hour after use as I may need to use it the next day or at least have it ready for the next time it's up in rotation. :bored:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Don't own a synthetic shaving brush but it's probably okay. I allow my badger and boar brushes to dry without any heat; I don't want to risk damage to the knot or its glue.

I just give them a hot water rinse and fling them dry . If they are going in a travel case I wrap a dry dish cloth around the knot and give it a gentle squeeze.

I gather it's best to let your brush dry naturally , however I dried my Omega synthetic brush with my wife's hair dryer and it come up a treat. Any issues with doing this to all types of brushes once in a blue moon?

Let it dry naturally, but I guess it could work with a blow dryer. Don't think it will hurt the brush.

Top Bottom