What's new

Do I have to start counting again?

Everyone says that it takes 100 shaves under your belt. Well I've been doing this for a few months but just shaved off my mustache and around the sides of my mouth this week and it feels so awkward. I have nicked myself in this area several times. It feels like I'm starting all over. Please tell me it won't take 100 more shaves to get this area down.

There is no such thing as one set number of shaves to make you an expert in wet shaving. Nicks, cuts, bleeders, etc. happen regardless of how experienced a person is with a razor blade. The most experienced wet shaver will get an occasion nick or cut. That's the nature of dragging a very sharp piece of metal across human skin. The biggest consideration to think is your preparation. You need to ensure that the skin on your face & neck are adequately lubricated/moistened. This may include a pre-shave shower of hot water, pre-shave oil, etc. You need to find what works best for you.

It also could be the amount of time you allow yourself to shave. You cannot rush the shaving process. When it comes to shaving you need to take your time. My average time is around 20 minutes. I don't rush when I'm holding a de razor in my hand. Add to that issue that I'm not "a morning person" so I intentionally take my time when I'm shaving each morning.

Hopefully this advice helped you out!

Nah, you've got the muscle memory and dexterity down likely by now. So you just have to apply these skills to the new areas, carefully. You've got this in 5 more shaves I bet.

As was pointed out, that "100 shaves" mark isn't a set number that applies to everyone. Most of us use it to let beginners know they can't reasonably expect to master a straight in a month. They may manage to do that, but it shouldn't be an expectation of anyone that starts out. :)

I wouldn't imagine it would take too long of practicing the newly started to shave areas for you to get those down solid as well.

Watch this video, it seriously helped me with getting those obnoxious areas around the lips.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XIM0Coix6Gg[/video]

Everyone says that it takes 100 shaves under your belt. Well I've been doing this for a few months but just shaved off my mustache and around the sides of my mouth this week and it feels so awkward. I have nicked myself in this area several times. It feels like I'm starting all over. Please tell me it won't take 100 more shaves to get this area down.

Chimensh's video is the classic for straight shaves. Still watch it and see something new each time.

I would caution you, however, against doing everything he does yet. In his xtg and even some of his wtg strokes he's got a subtle slicing motion which is incredibly effective, but will also provide you with a whole slew of charismatically charming dueling scars. As for his last pass against the grain, please, please, please do not try that on your upper lip as he does. He makes that look so simple and elegant, but that's after 30 years of straight shaving. Until you have the confidence of either Superman or a 16 year old, I wouldn't even attempt AGT on the upper lip.

You'll pick it up just fine after a few weeks though.

Superman or a 16 year old, I wouldn't even attempt AGT on the upper lip.
:lol:
I wouldn't even think of it. When I go ATG on my cheek and just catch a little of the 'stach area the grain just puts the brakes on. Can't imagine what I would look like if I even tried. I'm no Superman or 16.

Keep at it things will get better. The mustache area requires extra care and usually an extra touch up for me.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
We all move at different speed on the learning curve. Just relax and shave you will get there in no time.
My first shave was a 3 pass shave and I think it was a week to fell comfortable. A bit more time than that to be proficient.

The upper corners of my lips are still a problem area several months deep in shaving with a straight razor. I've been experimenting with some different techniques that folks here have suggested as well as stuff I've seen online. Unfortunately I don't have nearly enough subcutaneous fat on my face or neck to pull off any of the maneuvers Chimensh pulls off.

The best advice I got was to pull the skin as tight as possible by puckering to the opposite side of my face (imagine your lips are running for dear life away from the razor). From there, keep playing with different techniques to stretch and support the skin. Use your tongue, use your teeth, pucker and pull up on your cheek. Play around and build a vocabulary of techniques that work for you. The corners of the mouth, more than any other area, seem to be up to the individual to work out.

Since I shave right-handed perhaps my technique is a little different but I treat the two sides differently.
The left: i do a "windshield wiper" downward and outward swipe to clear that area.
The right: I swipe inwards with a similar motion.

I don't notice any difference in the shave quality.

For ATG shaves under the nose: I don't seem to have any difficulties until I get close to the nose (and, at that point, I call it quits). I shave it one handed with very short, purposeful, strokes. I also fold the handle out straight (kamisori-esque). But I rarely do an ATG shave unless I'm trying something different or have time to kill (like that ever happens when you have a 2y/o).

While I've watched a whole slew of videos. I've never watched that one. That has to be the most effortless looking shave I've seen. He's got it down for sure.

Top Bottom