What's new

First Injector Shave

Yesterday's mail delivered a Schick G1, and in a rare example of good timing the Schick injector blades arrived at the same time. I gave the razor my usual cleanup: Scrubbing Bubbles, toothbrush scrub with hot water & dish soap, and a soak in Barbasol to disinfect.

This morning I loaded a blade and lathered up with Valobra soap after a dab of Proraso Green pre-shave.

The first thing I noticed was the weight, or lack thereof. In the relatively short time I have been wetshaving I have schooled myself to just cradle the razor in my hand and let the weight of the razor do the cutting. This doen't work all that well for me with the injector, since it essentially has no weight. I had to apply a slight amount of pressure.

Blade angle, on the other hand, was very intuitive. The right angle was right where it seemed like it "should" be, and a snap to maintain.

I usually do three passes, but after two passes I had near BBS. Since I had plenty of lather and some time, I did a third pass anyway. This was probably a mistake, as the post-shave alum block had plenty of bite, causing me to reach for a balm rather than my usual splash of Osage Rub.

Despite the irritation, this was as close a shave as I have had since I started wetshaving.

Others have commented that the injector has the most "cartridge-like" feel of the SE's and DE's, and I would agree. Its light weight and compact form make it agile and easy to maneuver.

More research is needed. :biggrin1:

While I don't see myself getting rid of my SE's and DE's any time soon, I can see the Schick Injector becoming my "goto" razor when I am in a hurry.

--Bob

$inject8_26.JPG

Great report. I have an E that is due today. Can't wait to get it in, cleaned up and put to work. This will be my first injector shave and I am looking forward to it.

Both of you lucky gents are just beginning a wonderful journey into the world of injector shaving. I'm sure that you will be continually delighted with the results.

When I said that this would be my "goto" razor when I was in a hurry, I didn't think that it would be this soon. This morning I overslept and had to rush through my routine. After a very quick shower I lathered up with Proraso Green cream and did a fast two-pass shave.

Result: BBS except for a couple of spots, and less irritation than yesterday. I'm impressed.

Even better: Another Schick, this one an I1, came in today's mail. Guess it's time to start looking for a nice E.

--Bob

When I said that this would be my "goto" razor when I was in a hurry, I didn't think that it would be this soon. This morning I overslept and had to rush through my routine. After a very quick shower I lathered up with Proraso Green cream and did a fast two-pass shave.

Result: BBS except for a couple of spots, and less irritation than yesterday. I'm impressed.

Even better: Another Schick, this one an I1, came in today's mail. Guess it's time to start looking for a nice E.

--Bob

The I is an outstanding razor, probably my favorite injector. You should be aware though that the E is much more aggressive than the G; right up there, IMO, with the most aggressive SEs and DEs. Schick followed the general trend in safety razors, i.e. the razor models generally got milder as the years progressed. The E, being the earliest of the generally available Schicks, was designed to convert guys who were otherwise likely using straights, so it puts a lot of blade on your face. But, an amazing shave can be had if it agrees with your face and technique.

Have fun.

The I is an outstanding razor, probably my favorite injector. You should be aware though that the E is much more aggressive than the G; right up there, IMO, with the most aggressive SEs and DEs. Schick followed the general trend in safety razors, i.e. the razor models generally got milder as the years progressed. The E, being the earliest of the generally available Schicks, was designed to convert guys who were otherwise likely using straights, so it puts a lot of blade on your face. But, an amazing shave can be had if it agrees with your face and technique.

Have fun.

Thanks for the heads-up. How would you say that the E compares in agressiveness to, say, a Micromatic OC?

--Bob

Thanks for the heads-up. How would you say that the E compares in agressiveness to, say, a Micromatic OC?

--Bob
I would say the Schick E is perhaps just a bit less aggressive than the OCMM, but not by much. It's kind of hard to compare because the feel, angle, etc. are pretty different between these two razors, but I find both to be in the upper tier of the aggressiveness scale.

I just started with an Injector as well and love it. It will certainly be my go to in a rush razor and I will use it at least once a week from here on in. Now I have another on the way so I'll be able to get a little more aggressive shave when I want it.

Let us know how it goes with the E. If it's not as aggressive as the MMOC you should be ok as long as your are careful and avoid pressure.

I bought a G-1 just like it on eBay, cleaned up like New. Still waiting on blades. Still waiting for my first injector shave.

Shaved with the I1 today for the first time and loved it. Just as close as with the G with two quick passes and zero irritation. I hardly felt the alum block at all. Of course, it could just be that my injector technique is improving.

Found an E for dirt cheap on the 'bay on Saturday. I love it when I'm the only bidder.:001_smile Should have it by the end of the week.

--Bob

I shaved with the G-1, it left my face feeling raw. I tried different angles, but it just felt like it was tugging on all hairs, not a smooth feeling shave. It was a close shave, after all was said and done, it just left me feeling raw, the rest of the day. Others have said I might have to adjust my pressure and angles. I will do a side by side shave with the I-1 and G-1 next weekend. Not giving up, yet.

Man, it shouldn't feel like that. Check the blade to make sure that it didn't get buggered when it was injected. If a blade is injected when the razor has no blade already in it, the blade will drag across the blade stop nubs and blunt the edge. Try injecting a new blade now that one is already in the razor.

Top Bottom