What's new

Opinons please - Dutch Oven or crock/slow cooker?

I think you should try to swing both. I see good deals on 6qt crockpots every week it seems for around $25-30
the Dutch oven will be more of course

The Dutch oven is a lot more versatile. In my opinion, after a while, everything from a slow cooker starts tasting the same.

I agree. There is something about a slow cooker that makes everything taste the same. Perhaps I am not cooking the right things, but I will keep my dutch ovens any day.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If it can help, I made a few recipes where I had both pots side by side and added the same ingredients at the same time.

Pig's foot stew taste better in the crockpot.

Spaghetti sauce, soup, my infamous cochinita pibil taste better in the Dutch Oven.

Well, I've been pretty diligent trying to find good crock pot recipes, mainly because I want home cooked food, but just don't have loads of time to supervise things. Dutch oven isn't even in the equation, as even on the days that I work from home, I need the convenience of "fire and forget" because a gnat has a longer attention span. I do have a dead simple recipe for boneless leg of lamb and the kids love the Chinese red chicken thighs and corned beef and cabbage (I suspect its the Guinness!).

Well, I've been pretty diligent trying to find good crock pot recipes, mainly because I want home cooked food, but just don't have loads of time to supervise things. Dutch oven isn't even in the equation, as even on the days that I work from home, I need the convenience of "fire and forget" because a gnat has a longer attention span. I do have a dead simple recipe for boneless leg of lamb and the kids love the Chinese red chicken thighs and corned beef and cabbage (I suspect its the Guinness!).

You sadistic meany-head. :drool:
Where are the recipes?!

You can put a dutch oven in the oven and it will do low and slow cooking. In fact you can put most pots in the oven. I am personally just as comfortable leaving the house with the oven on 250 as I am with the crockpot on.

No reason to get a crockpot unless you want one. I too think that everything out of the crock starts to taste the same.

Personally I got a pressure cooker. It's an electric one so It gives me an extra burner, it's nonstick, it does high heat browning and boiling, it does low simmering and makes excellent brown rice. Also I can make really long cooking meals like corned beef and cabbage and in under 2 hours with the pressure.

Don't forget romertopf clay bakers and roaster ovens (basically crockpots with steel instead of clay) That both add their own "flavor"

Top Bottom