What's new

should i get a mild de razor instead?

1. Parker 24C/26C. A mild open comb razor. This one is great both for daily shaving and for bigger growth. With mild safety bar razors you use a trimmer before shaving if you have been some days without a shave. An open comb will easily take care of a week+ of growth. This is particularly good for you as you might sometimes want to give your face a rest.
engblom is correct about the 24C/26C. It's a mild open comb with which I can aggressively attack any type of growth without fear of cutting up my face. A BBS is attainable with this shaver, but it takes a little time to refine your technique.

thank you all for your answers.

Razor: I am confused on what i should get because of all the suggestions i have got. I know that i should not go for a BBS because of my skin condition but i like the closeness i get from it and i am used to the irritation. So what mild razor should i get for my beard type that at the same time can give me a BBS.

Skin condition: The red pimples you see on my neck is because i have acne. My dermatologist have giving me like 3-4 different creams that threat acne but nothing have helped. Sometimes i think that i should give up and accept my skin condition because it is sad and i dont like looking at my face in the mirror because of it.
as you can see on my pic beside the red pimples i have got from acne i also got alot of incrown hair. I have mapped my beard grow but it have not helped. It is annoying because i need to take them out with a tweezer. What is the easiest way to get rid of them. I have tried anthony incrown hair treatment but it didnt help.

witch hazel: I got suggested above that i should use it. Can i use it when i have got sensitive skin, acne and dry skin. The witch hazel contains alcohol so it will dry out my skin. When i bath and finish my skin gets dry and when i use perfume that contains alcohol my skin gets dry. To live with it i need to use a moisterizer. I have found some witch hazel from the brand thayers tat is alcohol free. Is it as good as the ones that contains alcohol?
how should i use it and can i use it on both my face and neck?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Get the non alcohol wjtch hazel. Read up on it. It is naturally antiseptic. It doesn't dry out the skin, and i have read it is good for achne

As others have mentioned older techs are less aggressive than some newer DE razors. I have two Edwin Jaggers and the angle of the blade on both those razors are somewhat more aggressive than my vintage tech. I'm now using my tech more than my newer EJ's. You might get a better shave with a tech.

As others have mentioned older techs are less aggressive than some newer DE razors. I have two Edwin Jaggers and the angle of the blade on both those razors are somewhat more aggressive than my vintage tech. I'm now using my tech more than my newer EJ's. You might get a better shave with a tech.

Well as suggest above i have been looking at the gillete ss 1940's and the tech. can i get a bbs if i shave with them with a week growth without having to trim down before. I shave once a week and my growth look like in the picture. Which one should i get? somebody who can tell me what my beard type is?

Last edited:
Your beard looks to be coarse, and dense in spots, but not too rapidly growing (if that's a week's worth of growth; mine looks like that in about 3 days).

You could easily shave with a Tech if your technique is good, but you shouldn't wait a week. You should probably try shaving more frequently but with fewer passes. A one-pass shave with a Tech or Superspeed every other day would keep you at a socially acceptable appearance without causing too much irritation.

If I were you, I would look into buying a Gillette long-comb NEW rather than a Tech, but either one will suffice. The NEW is a bit more efficient and has a better one-pass reduction.

Your beard looks to be coarse, and dense in spots, but not too rapidly growing (if that's a week's worth of growth; mine looks like that in about 3 days).

You could easily shave with a Tech if your technique is good, but you shouldn't wait a week. You should probably try shaving more frequently but with fewer passes. A one-pass shave with a Tech or Superspeed every other day would keep you at a socially acceptable appearance without causing too much irritation.

If I were you, I would look into buying a Gillette long-comb NEW rather than a Tech, but either one will suffice. The NEW is a bit more efficient and has a better one-pass reduction.

thanks for you answer. I know that i should shave more often but can the gillete long-comb new handle my coarse beard after a week of growth like the picture? how is it compared to the merkur futur is it aggresive or mild? will i get a better shave with less irritation. will it suit me better for my beard type?

Last edited:
Your beard growth pattern is diverse and you will need to adjust your stroke accordingly to ensure that your WTG / XTG passes are not going ATG.
That may be the major cause of irritation. It's going to take quite a bit of face mapping and trial-and-error to find a technique that works.

Cold water instead of warm could also do your skin a favour. I shave with cold water after a warm (not hot) shower and it made a huge positive difference for me.

As for mild razor recommendations, my suggestions are a Tech, Krona or a Lord L6.

i am very confussed on what to choose because of all the suggestions i have got. I want to choose the right one in the first try because if it is not i will be sad because i am a student with less money. I know that i can sell it but it is a headache. so i will give a more precise aswer on what i am looking for in a razor. I am looking for a mild razor that cause less irritation than my merkur futur on setting 1. The mild razor must handle a week growth as on the pic i have uploaded and can achieve a BBS . My beard type is coarse but dense in some spots.

-thanks in advance guys

Last edited:
Start with what you have. Like I have said. I have had the exact same problem. It doesn't cost much to change your shave style. If money is an option, you can make your own pre shave oil. Some have sed almond oil, some olive oil. You only need two or three drops. Cheap and easy. I mostly shave only one pass on the neck, that might do a lot. Also, like others have said, don't wait too long between shaves. Every one to two days might work well. Give it a try, let us know. Also, try a little more aggressive setting on the razor, and a light touch, DO NOT PRESS HARD.

Thank you all i appreciate it. I have been told to not wait a week between shaves so i ave decided to shave evert other day so my skin van heal/recover but how many passes should i do? And should i only fo wtg? What is best for my skin condition and coarse beard. Btw i have got the gillette long comb new. I like it so far it is mild and feels better on my skin compared to the futur. it is going to replace my futur.

Last edited:
First you gotta get your skin condition under control. Second you should not go against the grain (at least until your experience and skill gets better). The chances that your skin will be irritated increases exponentially going against the grain. Try just with the grain and across the grain. And third use .001% to 1% pressure.

Also some people find with light pressure an aggressive razor can be better for sensitive skin because a mild one might trick you into using too much pressure.

Thank you all i appreciate it. I have been told to not wait a week between shaves so i ave decided to shave evert other day so my skin van heal/recover but how many passes should i do? And should i only fo wtg? What is best for my skin condition and coarse beard. Btw i have got the gillette long comb new. I like it so far it is mild and feels better on my skin compared to the futur. it is going to replace my futur.

Hi. The New LC is one of my favorites.

Once the bumps are gone, use the prep method described on the previous page of this thread (wash w/hot water et al). Take your time, use only a with the grain pass (you will probably have to do it twice; if that doesn't get close enough, consider an across the grain pass, too). Also, some benefit from preshave oils for lubrication (you can make your own as described or buy one) in addition to an aftershave balm after.

What soap or cream do you use? Your lather may not be providing enough protection.

I use proraso soap white series and proraso preshave white series aswell should i try preshave oil instead of the cream? Do the razor bump dissppear by itself? Because mine dosen't my dermatologist says that it is acne. I got wool fat shaving soap that i am going to try out. But right now i should do 2 passes wtg and if it is not close enough then a pass xtg but how many passes should i do on my neck. Can i do atg when the acne go away someday? Or just i stick to with the grain, xtg and xtg from mouth to ear?

Last edited:
Adel, don't overthink into the future. Your shaving style will naturally develop as you get experience.

As others have mentioned, at first WTG only, I would do up to 3 passes if needed. 2 WTG passes can get me to a DFS. XTG is up to you, IMHO WTG should get you a DFS business meeting quality shave.

The problem with many necks, the hair grows in different directions on different parts of your neck. It would be a good idea to do a face and neck map of your beard direction. Just rub your fingers around on your face and check how the grain runs, and make a map.

On my neck the hair runs in different directions in 5 places. There is no simple WTG direction that covers it all. With a neck map you can get good enough WTG neck shaves, changing direction depending where you are shaving.

At this point, BBS is your enemy. Close Comfortable Shave to DFS should be your goal. When your face clears up, and your technique has more experience, you can try what you want and easily see n feel if it works for you or not.

Happy Shaves!

Adel, don't overthink into the future. Your shaving style will naturally develop as you get experience.

As others have mentioned, at first WTG only, I would do up to 3 passes if needed. 2 WTG passes can get me to a DFS. XTG is up to you, IMHO WTG should get you a DFS business meeting quality shave.

The problem with many necks, the hair grows in different directions on different parts of your neck. It would be a good idea to do a face and neck map of your beard direction. Just rub your fingers around on your face and check how the grain runs, and make a map.

On my neck the hair runs in different directions in 5 places. There is no simple WTG direction that covers it all. With a neck map you can get good enough WTG neck shaves, changing direction depending where you are shaving.

At this point, BBS is your enemy. Close Comfortable Shave to DFS should be your goal. When your face clears up, and your technique has more experience, you can try what you want and easily see n feel if it works for you or not.

Happy Shaves!

actualy to the pre routine i use the same routine as recommed i just use the proraso white preshave instead of a preshave oil

Thanks for you answerr let say i do 2/3 wtg shaves. Can i do the same amount of shaves on my neck with wtg or should i only do 1 pass wtg on my neck? People keeps saying when you neck cleared. I have had this problem since i was a teenager. I was like 15-16 years old and now i am 22 and the problem is still there. The last year i have been seeing a dermatologist and i have tried like 3-4 cream developed for acne but nothing have helped. I will try a new dermatologist and see how it goes. Worst case scenario i will try roaccutan because my neck have never been clear since i was a teenager. It is now 7 years ago and i still got the pimples that is acne not razor bumps.

Last edited:
In addition to all the excellent suggestions, why not get a Slim Adjustable? That way you can use it at level two or three for most parts and at level one for your neck? As your skin condition improves and so does your technique, you can play around with more aggressive settings. But it would still be a lot less aggressive even at higher levels than the Merkur.

In addition to all the excellent suggestions, why not get a Slim Adjustable? That way you can use it at level two or three for most parts and at level one for your neck? As your skin condition improves and so does your technique, you can play around with more aggressive settings. But it would still be a lot less aggressive even at higher levels than the Merkur.

i allready got the merkur futur and even on setting 1 i think it is agressive from my skin. i got the gillette long comb new that i havent tried yet because right now i am using a rotary shaver that i have heard helps on incrown hairs.

Adel, have you tried Proactive? Just like advertised on TV. I know folks who swear by it clearing up acne.

Easing up on pressure will help too. I am surprised regularly that I still need to lighten my touch. A lighter touch will help the OC / SB ride over the lumps and bumps.

Top Bottom