What's new

Premier League/Champions League 2014-15

WHAT?!? I shut the TV off in overtime when Chelsea got the PK. PSG SCORED?!?

In the 114th minute, I believe. Pretty impressive on PSG's part considering that they were playing with ten men.

As for the various Euro Leagues . . .\
1) English Premier League
2) Bundesliga
3) Eredivisie (mid-table League, but I am of Dutch descent)
4) Serie A
5) MLS (another "minor" League, but I am Canadian)
6) La Liga (there are only two and a half teams in contention every season)

That certainly cannot be a rank based on skill :tongue_sm

More on entertainment level and competitiveness, with a little bit of personal bias thrown in.

I find La Liga almost impossible to watch when it's not Barca v. Real, or Atletico. And it's bearly tolerable with those three due to all the flopping.

More on entertainment level and competitiveness, with a little bit of personal bias thrown in.

I find La Liga almost impossible to watch when it's not Barca v. Real, or Atletico. And it's bearly tolerable with those three due to all the flopping.

I concur...I am a Brit living in Canada, grew up watching the EPL and my folks back there are season ticket holders for Arsenal FC. A lot has changed since I left and it's all about show business now more than anything else as evident by the takeovers by Americans, Arabs and Jewish billionaires.

I agree that in La Liga, if you aren't watching the top 3 clubs, then it becomes boring. Same goes for Belgian, Dutch and German leagues. Serie A has always been a decent league to watch going back to the days of Maradonna, Ruud Gulit, Van Basten, George Weah etc

I agree. I think the Premier League has less talent at the club level overall, but the teams are more evenly matched. The Bundesliga and La Liga have more talent at the club level, but the same teams win the leagues almost every year.

EDIT: Being German, I am obviously biased :lol:

i'll have to disagree. i find the further down you go in any league, the worse it is to watch. the appeal of any game for me is how skilled the team or teams play. watching two lower tiered premier league teams beat each others brains in and kick the ball as hard as they can back and forth is like watching some weird barbaric form of a sport that should be about skill and intelligence, not force and lowest common denominator. the mls being more watchable than la liga is laughable as they are the worst league strategically, tactically and skillfully speaking that i have ever seen. i would rather watch a match from any other country. do antartica have a league?(i know, antartica is not a country, but if they had football, it would be better than the mls)

flopping aside, the barce madrid match was a spectacular display of skill and team play. i will admit a bias to barcelona, but their total football is the best thing going imo and i enjoy the style more than the club. meaning if any club played that well as a unit, i would enjoy the hell out of watching that team play.

all that said, they dismantled city and showed the weakness of city's "team" game. if not for hart in the second leg, it would have been about 8 or 9-1 aggregate. none of the other teams in the world can maintain such a display of teamwork over the best teams so consistently. a treble is not hard to imagine given the form they are in, but as a fan, they are fun to watch without the trophies if they play together the way they have so far.

With MLS, I have a serious rooting interest (Toronto FC), as opposed to the Euro Leagues where I have simply picked "my" team.

That somewhat compensates for the "lower" level of skill.

I think that makes the sport much more interesting, especially during the World Cup.

Might have mentioned this before, but I am a Newcastle supporter in the Prem mostly because I did not want to be a bandwagon jumper and pick one of the "traditional" big clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, or ManU, etc. NUFC had finished 4th the previous season, so looked to be on the rise when I climbed aboard the bandwagon. Little did I know . . .
For National sides, I support the Netherlands because of my parents, and England for my wife's side of the family. I would drop them ALL for Canada, should we ever qualify but, unless they start kicking pucks around the pitch, I do not see that happening any time soon.
I support Toronto FC as the closest team to my hometown and, secondarily, the rest of the Canadian MLS clubs, as their success "should" translate to boosting the National Squad. I have watched several games live and, while the skill level is markedly lower than that of the BIG Leagues in Europe, the teams are COMPETITIVE enough that it is entertaining nonetheless.

Could you believe the pasting in today's big game? I didn't think QPR had four goals in them.

Oh, and Arsenal looked pretty good too. :001_tt2:

Could you believe the pasting in today's big game? I didn't think QPR had four goals in them.

Oh, and Arsenal looked pretty good too. :001_tt2:

:tongue_sm

I didn't keep up with many of the games over the weekend other than Arsenal. Their performance against Liverpool was a pleasant surprise. Hoping we can continue to stay in front of the two Manchester sides.

Very happy with Arsenal's display this past weekend, even happier that I was watching the Sunderland game when Defoe scored one of the goals of his life.

Very happy with Arsenal's display this past weekend, even happier that I was watching the Sunderland game when Defoe scored one of the goals of his life.

Against ANY team save Newcastle, that shot is just another miss/save. Credit to Defoe, but good Lord, can Newcastle sink any lower? I swear they are the Premiership version of the Chicago Cubs.

arsenal miss a glorious and last chance to cut into chelsea's lead. barring a collapse of historic proportions, chelsea have secured the title. they only need two wins in 5 games and their next two opponents are leicester and c.p. i know they are trying to stay afloat, but with nothing else to play for, i don't think chelsea will lose the plot. i dislike jose, and roman abromovich for the record. add diego costa to that statement.

amend that, i hadn't even looked at the bottom half in a while. pardew has completely reversed cp's fortunes and they sit very comfortably outside relegation. leicester will be hungry and feisty as it is quite possible to move out. anything can happen down there. as to cp, and pardew, the toons are hanging by a thread. back to our earlier conversation, orville, looks like pardew just needed an organization and players that could rally and believe. sorry for the relegation angst.

I think Leicester is safe. I think the Toon will manage the epic collapse.
magpies are gonna drag it out to the last second this season. lest you think i'm piling it on, i feel for you, truly. i have been a dc sports fan my whole life(except the american football, which i don't much care for) and i had the special privilege of watching the wizards lose a last second playoff game, and the caps being eliminated from the playoffs within about ten minutes of each other. if relegation existed for either league, neither team would even be in the pro's anymore to enjoy this type of success.

Personally, I think of Newcastle as the Chicago Cubs of the Premiership . . . a fiercely loyal fan base that is huge in size and scope, tied to a team that consistently finds new ways to screw the pooch.

If they DO go down, I hope it is not like the way QPR gifted the title to ManCity a few years ago. My Father's TV might go for a brief flight from his balcony in those circumstances.

Last edited:
Ever since the NASL went under, I refuse to watch the MLS...been a Red Devils fan for over three decades - miniature ManU football, jersey, the works! Premier League for me. Just wish I could get Rugby and Cricket where I live to help fill in the gap...

Top Bottom