What's new

Keurig, kcups, .etc

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
SWMBO was gifted one when they got a new one at her work. Her sister and daughter also have one.

She loves it! She has gravitated to the Eight O'Clock Original kcups.

I can't stand it.

No matter what type of kcups I use, or using the basket kcup thing doing home ground beans, or even Folgers, and adjusting the dose, it's tooooo harsh for me. And I even cleaned it VERY well according to the instructions in the manual.

I'll take my local roaster's beans, or the Eight O'Clock Original whole bean, ground at home, then run it through my vac pot, over a Keurig anytime. I get a nice, smooth, velvety cup of coffee with the dose and brew time that I use.

Did I mention that the kcups are too harsh for me? And I've tried several varieties and adjusted doses, and the size of cup thing, on the Keurig.

No thank you, I'll stick with my vac pot with the Cory glass filter rod.

Do I get compensated for participating in this survey?

Last edited:
I bought one for the office. Its less wasteful for one person to brew one cup of coffee, or two people to brew two, than to brew a pot and throw half of it away when it gets old. I'm glad to hear that Green Mountain is a great company to work for, and happy for their success, but their k-cup coffees are, for me, about as desirable as airline coffee. Go to amazon and buy Marley (as in Bob Marley) k-cup coffee (I prefer Buffalo Soldier or Talkin Blues), or go to freshroastedcoffee.com and order his kona, maui mokka, or Haitian Blue k-cups. Any of those choices actually provides a very good cup of coffee. I always program my Keurig to maximum water temp. which, unfortunately, is only 192 degrees. Even on these premium k-cup coffees, I don't suggest trying to brew more than the medium sized cup, else the coffee will be weak. The premium k-cups seem to provide enough coffee grounds to make a flavorful cup and the cheap ones just don't.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I use my Keurig because it makes hot water fast for my Twinings English Breakfast Tea bag.

To me they are only worth having if folks have different coffee tastes - like my friend whose wife only drinks decaf. Or in the office where everyone can buy their own pods.

But for me, I find them weak unless you run the coffee at the lowest volume. I prefer my Aeropress for single serve coffee. Cheaper, I can use fresh roasted beans, and It's just about as easy to clean too - the plunger wipes the chamber dry and pushes the grounds and filter into the trash.

We have one at work that gets used by our staff very frequently. I think it makes a convenient and quick cup of coffee with very little clean up. It's definitely not better than coffee from a coffee house. I was kinda miffed by throwing all those plastic cups away every day, so I found a brand that has biodegradable cups for a fairly cheap price. I think the kuerig machine is a fantastic idea for places like doctor's offices, staff rooms, and other places with waiting areas or where a group of people are going to be making a quick cup of coffee and aren't planning on hanging are to clean anything.

I had the Vue for some time. Seems that they just never developed the variety that is available for the kcup. My GF has the regular kcup so I've tried both and both fall short of making a truly great cup of coffee IMO. But the again...so does Starbucks. I returned my Vue to Bed, Bath and Beyond today and ordered a Bonavita Thermal drip brewer and Capresso Infinity Burr grinder. I'll miss the convenience. But as a 2+ -10oz cup a morning drinker, I won't miss the cost. I agree that they have a place and that for a home or office with different coffee tastes they are great. I'm not a coffee snob. I'll continue to have a Keurig cup when available and will enjoy it. I'll just treat myself at home with a fresh brew.

I just wanted to say thanks to all the comments, and keeping it friendly. I know that the keurig is not the brewer for everyone, and I'm sure there are dedicated machines that can brew killer coffee. I love coffee but I also love convenience, so for me it's a given since I work for them and can get the coffee for free.

and yes it's great for the stock, especially with the new things they have coming out and all the new licensing agreements they signed with several companies.

With a little more pressure to accommodate cups with enough grounds to make a rich cup, and a 200-205 degree temp potential, they could get my attention. As it is, for office settings, it has distinct advantages. Then there are people like my cousin, who is simply not a morning person, and when he wakes he just wants his coffee without having to operate any machinery or electronics, and he loves his Keurig. As they say in the car business, there's a butt for every seat. I have a Keurig for the office, but for my home its ground beans into my Farberware percolator. To each his own.

We have one at my job. It works well and provides the same quality of coffee as every other preground variety does (at least in my opinion). I much prefer coffee from a French press or even freshly-ground coffee from a drip machine. My biggest complaint, though, is how bad Keurig cups are for the environment. I am not some hippie and would not be caught dead in a Prius, but the huge amounts of waste generated from Keurig cups is just unnecessary if you ask me. The variety of coffee and other drinks that can be made is nice, though.

EDIT: What I will say, though, is that I like how I no longer have to deal with the lazy people who cannot be bothered to make another pot of coffee when they had the last cup. Granted, those same people are the ones who leave their empty Keurig cup in the machine, but still...

Last edited:
As long as the cup brewed is small in volume, the coffee comes out alright. They are great at the car dealership so it's always fresh and they can offer decaf and regular and flavored all at once. What kills me is when folks run 12-16 Oz through those cups which are closer to an espresso dose of grinds. My wife's cousin switched from good drip coffee to Keurig and was using each cup twice because of the cost!

Price per cup of coffee is HORRENDOUS.
True but as with any other set of decisions there are trade-offs going with each option. In this particular case one has to determine if the added cost is worth the convenience. It's not worth it to me since Keurigs can't produce espresso but the convenience is definitely worth it to my wife and that's why we have both the Alex Duetto 3.0 and the V700.

At work we have both drip brewers that use (stale) preground Folgers packs and office K-Cup machines. Both seem to be popular. I have only ever had coffee at the office once or twice in my years with the company but I would definitely go for the Keurig over the drip.

A Keurig 2? Didn't they just release the Vue?
Yes. The Keurig site has this text on the product info page for its 2.0 brewers
Vue packs are not currently compatible with the 2.0 Brewing System but will be transitioned in the coming months.

Last edited:
I bought one for the office. Its less wasteful for one person to brew one cup of coffee, or two people to brew two, than to brew a pot and throw half of it away when it gets old. I'm glad to hear that Green Mountain is a great company to work for, and happy for their success, but their k-cup coffees are, for me, about as desirable as airline coffee. Go to amazon and buy Marley (as in Bob Marley) k-cup coffee (I prefer Buffalo Soldier or Talkin Blues), or go to freshroastedcoffee.com and order his kona, maui mokka, or Haitian Blue k-cups. Any of those choices actually provides a very good cup of coffee. I always program my Keurig to maximum water temp. which, unfortunately, is only 192 degrees. Even on these premium k-cup coffees, I don't suggest trying to brew more than the medium sized cup, else the coffee will be weak. The premium k-cups seem to provide enough coffee grounds to make a flavorful cup and the cheap ones just don't.

We have one at work that gets used by our staff very frequently. I think it makes a convenient and quick cup of coffee with very little clean up. It's definitely not better than coffee from a coffee house. I was kinda miffed by throwing all those plastic cups away every day, so I found a brand that has biodegradable cups for a fairly cheap price. I think the kuerig machine is a fantastic idea for places like doctor's offices, staff rooms, and other places with waiting areas or where a group of people are going to be making a quick cup of coffee and aren't planning on hanging are to clean anything.

I concur.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just wanted to say thanks to all the comments, and keeping it friendly. I know that the keurig is not the brewer for everyone, and I'm sure there are dedicated machines that can brew killer coffee. I love coffee but I also love convenience, so for me it's a given since I work for them and can get the coffee for free.

and yes it's great for the stock, especially with the new things they have coming out and all the new licensing agreements they signed with several companies.

Just like the charcoal/gas argument- there is room in the world for both.

Price per cup of coffee is HORRENDOUS..

I don't think so at all. I'm pretty frugal, and I always buy what is on sale or I have a coupon for. I never pay more than 50 cents per cup. Usually more like 30-40 cents.

Compare that to a cup of Folgers coffee that I could buy at any break room at work for 50 cents per cup, or a diner or cafe for $1-$2 (with refills).

I'm pretty sure I'm getting a better deal either way, and way better tasting coffee.

I tried out the k10 mini today with a one of the donut shop k-cups and it was a great cup of coffee. I also tested a brew and save reusable filter with a cut to size paper filter with some of my freshly ground Costa Rican beans (weighed out to 9.7 grams) and it was also excellent. Tastes much better than coffee from my mr. Coffee 4 cup maker. I'm sold on the k10!

I tried the k-cups, just couldn't get past the price per cup. Will replace it with a Bunn. A twelve cup pot in three minutes.
I just got a Bialetti espresso maker from my M-I-L's estate. I have not used it yet. Anyone else use a stovetop espresso maker?

Attachments

• $41f5Y6dHIIL._AA160_.jpg
    $41f5Y6dHIIL._AA160_.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 90
  • $bunn.jpg
    $bunn.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 91
Top Bottom