What's new

ATTN: B&B Photogs-Fall Shots

The first photograph was loaded into a painting simulator (Corel Painter) and with that as a starting point digital brushes were used to 'paint' the latter picture from the original. I also manipulated the colors to my liking.

The painting is then printed onto canvas and an adequate layer of opaque paste and colored paste was applied to the surface. The painting is now hanging in our living room and is 16 x 20 inch in size.

The software has the ability to emulate all known (and several unknown!) brushes and techniques with the aid of a Wacom digitizing board and art pen.

* Wow! This is very interesting as I had never heard of it! You did a lovely job with it.

I thought "giclèe" was just a term used to make inkjet print sound more palpable in the fine art world. It does not necessarily denote quality, although it's assumed the print was made on one of the higher end inkjet printers.

I thought "giclèe" was just a term used to make inkjet print sound more palpable in the fine art world. It does not necessarily denote quality, although it's assumed the print was made on one of the higher end inkjet printers.

As with anything in 'fine art' the intention is to sell.

For a print to be suitable for post production involving some sort of paint and gloss gel the print has to be 'sealed' to withstand moisture, UV light and chemicals. A lot of print shops claim to be able to produce this - and some do, but not directly from the printer. Some post production steps are involved.

So - yes, the term does in no way guarantee the quality of the print. Every artist must find a printer to trust. Not only the ink but also the frame and the material used to print on has to be of high quality. And of course the artist has to make sure that the colors are preserved as seen on the screen, preferably by hardware calibration equipment (HueyPro for example).

A print shop for photographs will not be able to make these prints - it's a manual chore all the way!

Last edited:
Ah I see. I work in prepress/printing, and have done a LOT of color management. We proof on large format epsons, but that's the extent of it. I've not gotten into the fine art side of digital.

strop

Now half as wise
* Wow! This is very interesting as I had never heard of it! You did a lovely job with it.

Same here. I had no idea this process even existed, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Well done. Definitely qualifies as fine in my book.:thumbup1:

This week chasing colors in Colorado.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 69
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 68
a couple more, from the Aspen Co. region, last week.
after some rain over the weekend, much of the state exploded into color this week!

$colorado 2014-7738s.jpg

$colorado 2014-7601.jpg

Top Bottom