What's new

Desk knives and letter openers

Legion

Staff member
How many of you keep a knife on or in your desk for chores like opening packages and the mail? Post a picture if you do.

My mail is opened with this Fairbairn-Sykes model letter opener, the pointy narrow blade is perfect for that job.

proxy.php

All the other cutting jobs are done with this knife I made from a file. I originally intended it to be a razor, so it is super sharp, and a really handy size and shape. It is probably my most used knife.

proxy.php

This isn't necessarily a desk knife all the time, but when I am sitting at a desk I guess it becomes one... ;). My edc Kershaw Funxion EMT

$20140826_193440.jpg

I have only had it maybe 5 months now, but so far it has been a good knife, and even opens envelopes and boxes when put up to the task.

I love what you did with that file, that's truly pretty cool.

I usually use my Leatherman Skeletool. The smaller, thinner blade makes it easier to open both envelopes and boxes.

Sorry, no pic now.

I typically have a few knives in my 'dump area' about 10' from my desk. I have occasionally reached for one but do not consider them letter openers as such.

The file knife is awesome by the way.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I hope you never forget that you have that in your pocket as you're getting on an airplane o_O.

It never leaves my desk. The pen is dry and I've never found a replacement - let alone been able to open it up to replace it.
AND I'm not a frequent flyer, last time was 2012.

Very good tip to not forget though! :thumbup:

It never leaves my desk. The pen is dry and I've never found a replacement - let alone been able to open it up to replace it.
AND I'm not a frequent flyer, last time was 2012.

Very good tip to not forget though! [emoji106]
I take that as a challenge to find my own knife pen. I will PM you if I find a supply. ^_^

I have one of those pen knives around here somewhere. I think Staples carries the refills, regular small ballpoint refills IIRC.

Top Bottom