What's new

Finally broke down and bought a Chosera 1k

First let me say. If you are considering getting one, just do it, phenomenal construction and enough abrasive in this brick to last a lifetime.

Lapping this stone didn't take too long, though I was a bit surprised how much of a hump the stone had. But 2 sheets of wet dry (400 and 800) and it is like a pane of glass.

I took a whack at honing a Wilbert Cutlery Army Special 6/8 that had some micro chipping on the edge, most of the chips came out after a few passes of circular strokes, but what is impressive is the bevel this is leaving. Here is a pic of the stone to get an idea of how much was taken off during lapping and a pic of the bevel to date.

bevel goodness
$image.jpg

post lapping - you can really see the faded stamp on the top compared to the side.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 132
I pretty much leave my little brown cleaning stone in a bowl of water the entire time I'm honing and whenever i feel the cutting become less agressive use it to remove swarf from the surface. Keep that stone clean and it'll surprise you with how well it works!

My C1K needed a bit more time on the W/D paper to get the high spot out.
But once it was lapped it has been a dream to use.
Enjoy the stone.
Myron

Great hone.
I remember when sooooo many people said the rubber stone was useless. Made me laugh.
Anyway - enjoy the C 1k and maybe give the lite red brick a chance too.

Last edited:
I pretty much leave my little brown cleaning stone in a bowl of water the entire time I'm honing and whenever i feel the cutting become less agressive use it to remove swarf from the surface. Keep that stone clean and it'll surprise you with how well it works!

I must admit I initially ignored that nagura they included (little brown brick). But decided to give it a whirl when I noticed the stone getting clogged up. Great googley moogley did that make the 1k more aggressive, from then on it was every 10 minutes or so and I would give a light scrub.

I recently bought the C1K and sold my Naniwa SS 1k. Mine came mounted on the same type of plastic base as the Naniwa SS. So far, I'm pleased with the C1K as a bevel setter.

These are the reasons when ask what's my favorite hone I say the Chosera 1K, it's a great tool.

Top Bottom