What's new

B&M wasn't super slick - need advice

I used B&M L/L/C tonight and it wasn't particularly slick; not like the Proraso I used two nights ago. That is NOT its reputation so I probably did something wrong. The trouble is, I'm not sure what.

No photos tonight, but the lather had a good volume and soft-peak consistency that I would normally look for. I noticed that it seemed a little thin on the face and was starting to dry out while I was shaving one side.

Because of their warning about thirsty, my guess is that I didn't add enough water, but I would like confirmation or advice otherwise. Thanks folks.

It was more like a tug in a few places, as if I was water-only shaving (which I may admit to doing for a quick touch-up of a spot, but wasn't the case tonight). I think it's just a problem with my expectation but when I see it thin on my face that to me means it has too much water?

I should probably do a test lather where I keep adding water over and over and over and over until it collapses, so I know the point.

I purchased a B&M sample pack about two weeks ago and have been using them every day since. I have had better success face lathering for some reason with it.

Sounds like you used too much water. Also, which variety are you using?

This works for me:Wet the top of the puck while you are showering/soaking your brush, shake most of the water out of your brush and load it up off of the puck for a solid 45 seconds. Go right to your face with the brush and have at it. Dip the tips of the brush lightly in water and keep adding until you have a dense creamy lather. shouldn't be runny and it should have a glossy shine to it. When B&M works it is as good as it gets. Keep trying and don't be afraid to load up your brush...

Would have to disagree, typically skipping across whiskers and lack of glide indicates a lack of water.

Could be... but based on these comments it seems like Gig stretched it a little thin with the water.

"I noticed that it seemed a little thin on the face and was starting to dry out while I was shaving one side"

"It was more like a tug in a few places, as if I was water-only shaving"

I am new to this as well and haven't really figured things out so I may be wrong. For what it is worth the "skipping across whiskers" was not mentioned by the original poster it was a comment from Demaskee. Details, details...

Sounds like you used too much water. Also, which variety are you using?

This works for me:Wet the top of the puck while you are showering/soaking your brush, shake most of the water out of your brush and load it up off of the puck for a solid 45 seconds. Go right to your face with the brush and have at it. Dip the tips of the brush lightly in water and keep adding until you have a dense creamy lather. shouldn't be runny and it should have a glossy shine to it. When B&M works it is as good as it gets. Keep trying and don't be afraid to load up your brush...

This is the answer.

Could be... but based on these comments it seems like Gig stretched it a little thin with the water.

"I noticed that it seemed a little thin on the face and was starting to dry out while I was shaving one side"

"It was more like a tug in a few places, as if I was water-only shaving"

I am new to this as well and haven't really figured things out so I may be wrong. For what it is worth the "skipping across whiskers" was not mentioned by the original poster it was a comment from Demaskee. Details, details...

Fair point. As B&M is such a thirsty soap, my inclination would be that OP just needs to load more. It is possible that he over-watered, but my guess would be that he simply didn't have enough product especially with it drying out on his face.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
excellent video! I hereby nominate michaelmcconnell for teacher of the year for recommending this video.

Last edited:
Fair point. As B&M is such a thirsty soap, my inclination would be that OP just needs to load more. It is possible that he over-watered, but my guess would be that he simply didn't have enough product especially with it drying out on his face.

For sure, sound observation. Many of us short change the loading process when we are learning the ropes. Seems like more product cures many issues and as a bonus enables you to purchase more... win/win.

For sure, sound observation. Many of us short change the loading process when we are learning the ropes. Seems like more product cures many issues and as a bonus enables you to purchase more... win/win.

"When in doubt, use more product!" has got to be one of, if not the, most important piece of advice given on this board. Plus who doesn't like purchasing more soap?! :)

Watch this video. It is almost impossible to over water B&M.

Hahaha I couldn't stop laughing while watching this, I don't have a slight idea why.

I'm going to try what the dude in the video does and see how it works. I used to have the same problem as OP. I used various methods and got one down for me for a great lather but could be better .

Thanks for the video.

Hahaha I couldn't stop laughing while watching this, I don't have a slight idea why.

I'm going to try what the dude in the video does and see how it works. I used to have the same problem as OP. I used various methods and got one down for me for a great lather but could be better .

Thanks for the video.

LOL, yeah that guy is pretty funny. I wish I could take credit for the video, but I saw it on another board. Still, it's a good example of how much water that B&M can take. :thumbup1:

Thanks for all the replies. Tonight I took the time to experiment and lather and keep adding water until I thought it had broken down. I was going to try and get photos to get advice along the way but it was tough to get good photos. I still put some on Imgur, and was hoping you could tell me at what point I should have used it.

http://imgur.com/a/7z87r

My thought is that #2 or #3 was best, but I'd appreciate input.

Top Bottom