What's new

New to beer, need some help getting into it.

I'd start with the Blue Moon. Shock Top makes some fruity type beers as well that are pretty good. I wouldn't want to drink a lot of the Shock Top but it would certainly be a nice transition beer between the fruity type drinks as you get used to beer. I think they have an orange one, a raspberry one and maybe a couple others. My wife isn't a beer drinker and I had her try those and she thought they weren't bad, especially the raspberry one. I really like the Blue Moon beer quite a bit as that's a great choice.

After that I'd pick up some mainstream light beers (like Bub Light, Miller Lite, ect) from the normal grocery store manufacturers then move from there to the non light versions. Bass makes a good beer as does Dos Equis.

After the lights and the non lights maybe go to the Dos Equis Amber, Michelob Amber Bock, Shiner Bock beers before heading into the heavier bolder ones.

Modelo Negra is a really nice beer that you might like to try after the ambers.

After the ambers you have to try Guiness Draft which is quite a bit different but excellent. You can start with it by mixing half and half with a regular beer like bass and eventually you'll be enjoying it straight. Guiness draft is different, kinda like a beer milkshake and it took some getting used to straight but I really like it a lot now. There is a Guiness Stout that is quite a bit more bitter so my preference it for the Daaught version.

Once you develop a solid taste for beer then you can explore the imported Belgium beers. Many of the Belgium beers are a heavier style higher alcohol beers that are excellent and would appeal to serious beer lovers. If you have a Total Wine store by you they stock literally hundreds of beers.

Beers high in hops never appealed to me as they are too bitter and sour for my tastes. Nothing that I recommended above it bitter or hoppy. Some do like those types of beers though. I'd save those for after you've tried a lot of others as they are a bit harder to adjust too. I'm still not there yet and I've been trying different beers for years.

Half the fun is just trying new things to see what you like and don't like. I'd start with the local grocery store and once you've tried everything that you'd like to there then find a beverage store for some harder to find beers. Some will be great and some won't. It's like everything else here, you'll find some that you love and some that you don't.

I'd echo the advice about going somewhere that you can get a flight of beer so you can try a few and see which styles you like. But if I were recommending beers to a newcomer, I might lean towards German Wheat beers like Hacker Pschorr Hefeweiss, Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, or Paulaner (any Hefeweisse should have a slight banana-ey taste). I also really like Samuel Smiths Organic Apricot Ale. My wife (who isn't a beer drinker, but is starting to sample a little because I'm studying for my Cicerone) said that if she had to drink a beer it'd be a Saison I had a Right Brain in Traverse City. They're a farmhouse ale and the yeast they use gives it a kind of Barnyard Funk and kind of peppery taste, that is actually really smooth drinking.

Try lots of stuff. Then go back and try it again. I cut my teeth drinking well liquor and Bud for years before diving into craft beer. Even then it took a few years to develop an appreciation for IPA. Less time to enjoy sour beer.

The course I usually take people down is German wheat beers and Belgian beer. German wheat beers are not enjoyed by everybody but they are on the sweeter side and usually transition ok for people with little craft beer experience. Belgian beers include a broad range of styles but all generally are yeast character forward and lean more towards malt than hop flavor, which is often less of a stretch when emerging from the cocoon of bland beer. Now is also a good time to hit some Oktoberfest beers, which are more neutral in character with good caramel-malt flavor that would get you in the shallow end.

If you go to Specs, Total Wine, Central Market, or any other halfway decent bottle shop in the area they will be able to help with some recommendations. Bars with flight options will give you opportunities to try lots of beers without buying lots of pints although it is an expensive way to do it. You can usually buy a mixed six pack at a grocery store for half what you will pay at a bar. But if you want to hit a bar then any of the Gingerman locations are among the most reasonable for flights and they will have some good entry-level beers. Flying Saucer also has flights but I think they tend to be a little more expensive.

When all else fails let your friends recommend something to you.

Top Bottom