What's new

What blade should I use for my first shave?

I just received my first razor in the mail today, Razorock Mission, and am still waiting on my Merkur 34C to be shipped. Since this will be Labor Day weekend, I thought this would be the perfect time to attempt my first wet shave.

I have been reading a lot about blades and there are a lot of different opinions on which is the best. I also am aware of the YMMV rule. With that being said, what blade should I use for my first attempt. Here is the list of what I have on hand:

1. Treet Silver
  2. Astra Superior Platinum
  3. Rapira Stainless
  4. Wilkinson Sword
  5. Derby Extra

Thank you in advance for your input.

If the razor came with a non brand, do that. It's more to learn how to use the razor. Then you learn what blade angles work for each blade and how aggressive they are them-self. I'm a noob and that's what I did. I still have two blades that came with the razor other than the one currently in. Depending how many of each you have, go 3/4 shaves with the blades.

Congrats Jason.

IMO the Astra's are the best blades in the lot. With that being said I would not start with it. What I did was chose each new blade randomly and then used them for a week or two before I changed.

Since you are just starting out, choose your blades at random so any bias is not involved with the decision. Use the blade for at least a week straight before changing blades. Then once you become familiar with your razor revisit each blade to see if there is a difference.

Cheers!

I'd use the Astra but it doesn't really matter as your technique will be bad anyway and you won't really be able to tell a major difference between the blades until your technique is good. Ideally you stick with the same soap, razor, brush and brand of blade for a couple months when starting out because keeping things consistent will help you learn quicker.

Since you have them ordered with Treet at #1, I'd start with the Treet. Then go to #2 on your list when you decide to change blade types.
(I'm in what I think is a minority that doesn't get along well with Astras.... just enough proof of "YMMV" to say it doesn't matter what blade you start with if you're going through them all anyway. I'd only suggest that if you think you dislike a blade, put two away till later, get back to it after more pratice with your lathering/prep/shaving technique to see of you really don't like it or you just gave yourself a bad shave early on, in spite of it).

Merkur razors usually come with a couple Merkur blades and most people might recommend tossing them before enduring them but I would put them aside for a few months. Astras are generally a great blade for beginner since they are fairly sharp and considered by most to be very smooth and forgiving. I love Astras and they were the first really good blade I ever used so I would definitely recommend them as your first. You will have a lot of things to worry about for your first shave so having a good blade will go a long way.

I'd go with the Astra's too, a decently consistent blade at a good price.
I've always found Derby's to be mediocre although I'm sure many will disagree with me :001_smile.
Wilkinson were superb when they were made in England, far better than virtually anything available at the time, but that's some decades ago! But I remember them well.

Just my viewpoint of course...

I liked the Derby as my first. Not too sharp, but opinions here on B&B as mixed. It's a very polarizing blade.

Astras are sharp, so keep it this in mind if you end up choosing it! Remember to take it slow and let the weight of the razor do all of the work.

Well, it looks like Astras seems to be the consensus. I'm just a little concerned about using something that sharp with my first shave.

Well, it looks like Astras seems to be the consensus. I'm just a little concerned about using something that sharp with my first shave.

If you are concerned, use the Treets. They seem to be the blade matched with the razor the first shaves, You want to use whatever came with it. You are nut looking for BBS or even DGS. You want SAS.

Just take it slow and you will be fine, I use ASTRAS and still donate blood now and then to the shaving Gods!

I used the ten Wilkinson blades the guy provided with my razor first. That way I was able to have a month to settle my prep and technique before I got a blade sampler. Now I am still shaving my way through them, and with each shave, I learn more about blades. After the September Gentlemanly Restraint, I'll be getting 100 of at least one or two brands. I'm onto Astra SP right now, and they're tied with Feather. But try whatever blade you have say ten of, and stick with those first.

It's all about prep and shave technique (light tiuch, maintain blade angle). The blade is maybe 20% of the shave, IMO. The blades listed are all good. You can learn and get good shaves with any of them. Now, you asked so I will vote Astra SP. A very good all-around blade that is sharp, comfortable, and consistent.

Top Bottom