What's new

Emergency Soap

I Have a williams stick which I took to a weekend away. My wife was having an allergy and the rose scent was a severe problem forher.

I have bar of Dead sea mud soap which I noticed washing my hands made a decent lather. So I loaded the dead sea mud soap on my brush and bowl lathered with Dr bronner's shave soap which I use to wash face. The lather was not as thick as I like but it was adequete to shave with.

Has anyone had similar problem and how did you solve it.:mellow:

In a pinch, you can just rub a bar of hand soap on your face and wet it for a shave. The reason so many bad shave soaps exist is because almost ANY soap can be functional as a shave soap with proper stretching and care. Hell people shave dry with axes as demonstrations on youtube. A quality soap improves the shave, but it isn't necessary to make the shave possible.

In short, I've used hotel soap and water to shave before. I didn't bother trying to lather it, that usually makes it worse (too much air, soap molecules too far apart, razor drags in the gaps).

Yeah, any soap or shampoo that will give you a little bit of glide will help you shave. It may not be luxurious, but it'll do in a pinch. One of my favorite things to use in a pinch is hair conditioner, when shaving in the shower.

Dove will actually give you a decent lather with a brush when used as a puck or shave stick and isn't going to dry your skin so you might want to keep a bar on hand for that. I preferred the shea butter version for shaving when I was experimenting.

I've used a bar of Ivory and a brush to get a better than Williams lather.

I spent years shaving with Dr. Bronner's in the shower, back in the cart days.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I've used, when not having my shave kit,

Noxema
Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap
Woody's Meat & Potatoes
Aloe Vera + Olive + Water
Ivory
Dove

I've used dish soap once, when I was staying at a friend's place and couldn't find his shaving cream. It worked and I didn't have any problems. I didn't like the lack of real lather, but the soap was slick and did the job just fine.

Any soap or lubricant is better than none. Not so sure about bacon grease, though it would smell terrific!

Barry Goldwater was quoted as saying that.peanut butter made a pretty good shaving cream if you didn't mind smelling like peanut butter for two days.

It made me wonder what some people during the Depression used. Shaving soap might have been considered a luxury to some in those days. I wish I thought of asking my parents when they were still.around.

Conditionner works great. I remember before finding out about DE razors and shaving soaps I gave this trick to my husband. He was amazed! He kept saying why don't people know about this?

$Axe.jpg

Top Bottom