What's new

Question about synthetics

Any of you ever had one that shed? I guess I'm referring to the more modern ones, "gen 3," and up. Just curious :001_cool:

The only one is the Omega Syntex that is supposed to imitate boar rather than badger. I lost 4 or 5 the first use then it seems to have stopped. I don't know what generation that is but I just bought it this month.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
No. If you have one that is shedding a lot you probably want to contact the vendor for a replacement.

I've had four - Parker (which I dumped), H.I.S., Muhle and Plisson and none of them have ever shed a hair.

I have just the Plisson Cade and it has never shed. I would think/assume that quality of the synthetics would be very high considering the consistency of the bristles/hairs that are used.

I had a Kent Silvertex start out with 5 hairs then move up to 20. The Plisson lost maybe 8 to 12 in the first week of use but hasn't shed since.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I've had three Synths so far and I have my first Plisson Synthetic on the way from France (I went with the Ferrari Red Access model Synthetic for some extra color). Out of all 3 I lost one hair on a Black Fibre V1 and one hair on a Silvertip Fibre V2. A Black Fibre V2 that I passed to a friend didn't shed a single hair in my possession, but I didn't have it for long as I chose to pass it on to a vegetarian friend of mine along with some Synergy.

If one was interested in trying a synthetic, which would be the brand that you gents would recommend dying first? I've heard good things about the Omegas. Their easier on the wallet than the Muhles. I don't know much about the Plisson brand.

The Mühles are not cheap, but the prices are reasonable, and they are, IMHO, light years ahead of Omega synthetics.

The Mühles are not cheap, but the prices are reasonable, and they are, IMHO, light years ahead of Omega synthetics.
Thanks. Muhle makes mighty fine razors and I know that I love my Thater silver tip. Those Germans know how to make a quality product. That's for sure.

I just got the Kent silvertex two weeks ago. Shed one hair when I took it out for the first lather. Have used it every day since and not a hair more has been lost.

I'm chalking it up to rough shipping

My 25mm Muhle STF shed two or three hairs in its first couple of weeks but none since. I have three other Muhle synths that have never lost a single one.

My two Mühles haven't shed a bit. Funny, I'm always looking around for new razors and creams/aftershaves but haven't looked for a new brush since I picked up the Mühles

Muhle STF 25mm Horn - has never shed a hair, needs very little product and works like a dream. My Duke 3 in Best has been put to bed for the time being.

Top Bottom