What's new

feather ss pivot pin

I finally decided to put wood scales on my Feather SS folder and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a replacement pivot pin to fit it. The pin appears to be around 3/16" (but I am not sure) with a screw on one end screwing into the shaft of the pin. the head is rather large and I was looking for a head that was something smaller. Any suggestions on what I can use and where to find it?

Microfasteners.com has washers and screws as small as you want. You will have to use some kind of bushing to reduce the diameter of the hole in the AC blade holder. I chose to reuse the original Feather pivot hardware. Easier to manipulate the wood than reinvent the wheel, so to speak.

Yes, as I was searching around the site I came across your rescaling of a Feather AC and I see where the big screw kind of blends in with the pivot end of your scales. I will see how it looks when I get my scales and if it doesn't look too bad, I will consider it. I tried looking at the microfasteners.com site and got totally confused as they do not just give out screw dimensions like 3/16" diameter and 1/2" length, but use what I believe is an ANSI screw number which I am having a hard time finding a conversion table for.

Would you happen to know what the size of a Hart Steel pivot pin is?

I have never seen a Hart Steel razor 'in person', but I can tell you the #0 Screws, washers & nuts are 1/16" in diameter. The same as the brass rods I normally use for peening scales. They look a little beefier because they don't sit flat against the scale. Here is some horn scales with screws.

Yeah I see now that the pins look larger on the Hart Steel site because the photo is enlarged. I just assumed that the pin would be larger because one end screws into the other. My scales arrived today and they are the banana shaped ones and I would have to drill the pivot hole further in that regular to accommodate the head of the Feather pin. I'll just have to take apart my Feather and do some trial fitting this weekend. I did a Frankenstein mod using a Sanguine R5 scale last weekend and it isn't too bad except the pivot hole is off centered and so if I screw this project up, I still have a wood scale setup for my Feather.

This is mine - I kept the original screws buy you can get different sizes if you search post Chicago or post screws. Knife makers use barrel screws which are similar.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been looking at knife making supplies and found what I think will work, but the barrel length is 1/2 and the scales I got and the blade at the pivot hole is slightly under that so might end up loose. I did confirm from Hart Steel that they have two pin sizes, one for a 5/8 blade which is 1/16" like alpster mentioned and the one for 7/8 blade is a 3/16" and so that one might work. I am seriously thinking of just making my own scales instead of trying to work around something that I bought from someone else. both you and alpster are giving me the idea of going that route as your mods are definitely good stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been looking at knife making supplies and found what I think will work, but the barrel length is 1/2 and the scales I got and the blade at the pivot hole is slightly under that so might end up loose. I did confirm from Hart Steel that they have two pin sizes, one for a 5/8 blade which is 1/16" like alpster mentioned and the one for 7/8 blade is a 3/16" and so that one might work. I am seriously thinking of just making my own scales instead of trying to work around something that I bought from someone else. both you and alpster are giving me the idea of going that route as your mods are definitely good stuff.
If you decide to make your own scales you can then use the Feather original post screw but you might want to consider countersinking the head a little. I did it with 8mm and 9mm flat bottom router bits - but it is tricky getting the positioning exactly right so that it is exactly centered over the pivot hole.

I was talking with someone who mentioned that what I should be looking for is a counter post drill bit with a 3/16 drill and a 5/16 counterpost which I did find on the internet but so far has not found in the local hardware and hobby stores. That same friend said he had some scrap bamboo sheets that he was going to send me that is about 1/4" thick and so I am thinking that the DIY scales is getting to be more of a possibility.

I made the countersink with a "Forstner" bit. It leaves a tiny dimple in the center that I used for a guide for drilling the pivot pin hole.

I just Googled "Forstner" bit and could see why you suggested using it. Because the screw head is about 5/16, did you use a 1/4? I didn't see a 5/16. Looks a lot more appropriate than the spade drill bits I found at the local hardware store.

I made the countersink with a "Forstner" bit. It leaves a tiny dimple in the center that I used for a guide for drilling the pivot pin hole.
That looks like a good idea - presumably when you countersink the other scale, you use the pivot hole as a guide but you would still need to be careful in the positioning.

That looks like a good idea - presumably when you countersink the other scale, you use the pivot hole as a guide but you would still need to be careful in the positioning.

This is correct. I have a cross slide vise in my drill press which makes the alignment a dream. I leave the pivot pin bit in the drill press and insert the other scale (Square to the vise) adjust the vise so the bit slides smoothly into the hole. Remove the center bit and insert the Forstner. You can probably pull this off without a drill press, but it would be tricky.

@gvw755 - here ya go..

http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-5-1...=1409509620&sr=8-1&keywords=5/16+forstner+bit

Top Bottom